Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Mathieu Perreault signs with the Canadiens (1 year, $950k)

Nov 24, 2006
He's good in the bottom 6, over matched in the top 6. I'd have him back on the Jets at that price. Good depth signing.
He's top 6 or bust. He isn't good enough for top 6 and is useless on bottom 6. But could help Montreal on pp.
HF at its finest. :nod:

I think he’s a good add for $950K any way you look at it.

Last edited:

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
He was a favorite of mine in Washington. Undersized guy who plays his ass off. He's almost exactly .50 PPG for his career. Still have my MP85 Caps Jersey in the closet. Good luck to him, he's from Quebec so it's kind of a homecoming for him.

MarkyMarkov

Jan 31, 2010
or maybe they are quality players that fill a need, and them being québécois is a plus ?

saying that they got signed only for their mother tongue is clueless and plain stupid.

It's hard to get players, particularly US-born ones, to come play in Montreal. Could be we're using our location to get local guys on good contracts. Savard signed here at a bargain price because he wanted to play in Montreal. Most players likely rejected Bergie's overtures.

Reactions: Jee

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
He's good at face-offs and played lots of C in the past. It doesn't matter if he hasn't played C in Winnipeg for the last 5 years. Drouin hadn't played a lick of C and they still plugged him in to fill a hole. I have no doubt in my mind, this is Bergevin's Centre solution. (not that I agree with it)

Perreault avoids taking faceoffs because of previous back injuries. He's not going to be playing center. He's a very good LW.

Last edited:

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
The vast majority of Jets fans wanted him back... especially at this price.
Aside from injuries and the odd dumb penalty Matty P is a great player.
He can drive play, he is great at zone exits and maintains possession for your team. He's quite physical for a smaller guy.

He's ideal for the 4th line, more than capable on the 3rd and can fill in for the top 6 if need be. PP2, great in the room, gives it everything he has every shift.
If he stays healthy then Habs fans will be very pleased by the end of the season.

And... if the season goes off the rails for whatever reason he could probably be flipped for a pick at the deadline.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Great signing for Montreal. Almost zero chance they aren't happy with him at that price. Maddie was one of the hardest working Jets every year he played here. Wishing him the best. Probably wanted to play one season for the iconic franchise he grew up watching

hilarnat

Jun 17, 2017
Im starting to think they signed all those quebecers just to relieve the pressure of being the only one on the team for Drouin
Drouin have a 5,5M$ contract. I don't think they would spend an additional 5,4M$ so he can feel more comfortable. Are we even sure he'll still be there on opening night?

Drouin's there, media pressure onto francos should be better distributed. He's not, they are there to take it. win/win.

Either way, I'm good with Perreault and pretty ok with Savard on those deals. Paquette leaves me meh. I don't feel like it's only for pressure relief but it's a good thing if it does.

People that can't understand why Le Club de Hockey Canadien needs french speaking players don't understand the market/business/brand image associated with being the only hockey team in Quebec.

Overall, as someone else pointed, it's good to know Montreal can sign local UFAs without blatant overpay like we've seen in the past.

Reactions: Maitz and 1909

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He will. He's a better player than Byron at this point and still probably has more tools than Lehkonen offensively.
Byron is injured atm. But Byron is typically more productive than Perrault. Lehkonen is a far superior player and far more valuable. Perrault isn't ahead of Lehkonen in the depth chart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad