Recalled/Assigned: [MTL --> LAV] David Schlemko Assigned to Laval Rocket (08/01/2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jul 6, 2016
No it still doesn't make sense. You're talking about Ouellet, Alzner and Schlemko, right? Alzner and Schlemko have unpalatable contracts for waiver wire pickups. Ouellet was signed to a two-way contract as a free agent. I see nothing strange that none of them got picked up.

Certainly the fact that Alzner and Schlemko were sent down is an indication the Habs would probably like to move on from those contracts.

Also certainly the Habs lack a top end LHD talent presently.

Certainly Alzner and Schlemko have disappointed.

I mean the Habs have acquired 2 LHD that cleared waivers while with other teams. So the Habs are clearly patching holes at LHD. Is that your point? That the Habs need help at LHD right now? If that's what you mean then yes - obviously they do.

I like the Reilly & Kulak & Olofsson acquisitions (and the 3 Czech signings) for that - proactively looking for youthful answers at LHD.

3 or 2 ? .... Not NHL players in the making, for sure.

Reilly, Kulak, and banged up Olofsson are bottom-pairing d-men.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
We made them because we had to though and then we took it a step further and protected Benn in the expansion draft. My point is, we should have at least been in the position after at least year 4 of bergevins tenure that we would be able to fill these depth positions with our own drafted players. Our development was poor and we had no choice but to keep trying to strike it lucky with other players that were castoffs. We also currently have 3 non drafted players on our 4th line and we waived two of our own and are about to waive another in Hudon and I know you have made the case many times for DLR so I think that you are have a similar point of view.
I think what happened was that Tinordi busted and Beaulieu was so-so. If those two were a bit better then maybe things are OK on the LHD. But in today's NHL with the salary cap you have to let guys go and sign new guys from other teams - that's the way the league is structured.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
3 or 2 ? .... Not NHL players in the making, for sure.

Reilly, Kulak, and banged up Olofsson are bottom-pairing d-men.

Jerabek from last year + the 2 new ones.

Maybe bottom pairing but there's some upside and when you're rebuilding you have to use the space in your lineup to give guys chances. It's too costly (both cap and trade-wise) to go and get top end players when rebuilding.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I would say that the type of players on our 4th line are players that fit CJ's vision of what a 4th line should be. I would have preferred to see DLR, Scherbak and Hudon there if we are truly going with a youth movement as they claim. None of the guys currently playing there are our own draft picks like the ones we let go.

Jacob deLaRose is miles better than Michael Chaput.

Reactions: OldCraig71 and 417

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think he's regressed. He was a late bloomer and I think SJ thought there was more there. So did the Habs. His contract is not horrible if he plays well in your top 6.

The Sharks signed him with the intent that he'd be exposed in the expansion draft. He had a good year as a 3rd pairing puck-mover in SJ with Brenden Dillon but I'm sure there was something that was up in the room since even during that he was still scratched for stretches. He has a decent history of being solid in certain advanced metrics but I think they thought he'd produce more than what he did and wasn't good enough to warrant being protected.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Chaput is much better on faceoffs though and that's what's mostly kept him in the lineup up to this point

But otherwise, agreed...I remember during preseason I wrote on here that the easiest path to make the team for guys like DLR and/or McCarron, was to show during preseason that they could be strong in the faceofff circle.

Neither did...which is unfortunate

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
We'll see tonight I guess. I always liked JDR. But Chaput was signed as a UFA so he is about replacement level.

But Chaput was called up after the Habs lost JDR.
The Habs lost DeLaRose to protect Plekanec. And THIS is why I call our man the IdiotGM, despite lucking out with two trades this summer AFTER trying for Tavares, Stastny and O'Reilly and after trying hard for Lucic in 2016 and only signing Radulov after failing.

Reactions: OldCraig71

mtlmonk

Apr 21, 2014
One of the worst Dmen to have laced them up for the Habs over the last few years...

He's in the Patrick Traverse, Robert Dirk, Igor Ulanov territory of bad

Even Douglas Murrya was better then David Schlemko

Add Janne Niniima

Reactions: 417

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
The Sharks signed him with the intent that he'd be exposed in the expansion draft. He had a good year as a 3rd pairing puck-mover in SJ with Brenden Dillon but I'm sure there was something that was up in the room since even during that he was still scratched for stretches. He has a decent history of being solid in certain advanced metrics but I think they thought he'd produce more than what he did and wasn't good enough to warrant being protected.

Yeah he's a guy who leaves you wanting more a bit, but judging from the contract he signed it seems like he was valued like a 5/6 who could fill-in for small patches in your top-4.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
The Habs lost DeLaRose to protect Plekanec. And THIS is why I call our man the IdiotGM, despite lucking out with two trades this summer AFTER trying for Tavares, Stastny and O'Reilly and after tryinf hard for Lucic in 2016 and only signing Radulov after failing.
Who gives a shit about JDLR ? Really... sometimes... he's been an awful GM for many reasons but waiving De la Rose for whoever is not one of them.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yeah he's a guy who leaves you wanting more a bit, but judging from the contract he signed it seems like he was valued like a 5/6 who could fill-in for small patches in your top-4.

The Sharks also played him on his off-side so I don't know if that maybe annoyed him because I think he normally played the left side but we had him on the right and he did well.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
The Habs lost DeLaRose to protect Plekanec. And THIS is why I call our man the IdiotGM, despite lucking out with two trades this summer AFTER trying for Tavares, Stastny and O'Reilly and after tryinf hard for Lucic in 2016 and only signing Radulov after failing.

Yeah I was a bit disappointed about losing DLR so I can relate a bit. But in the end maybe it won't matter too much. We'll see.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Chaput is much better on faceoffs though and that's what's mostly kept him in the lineup up to this point

But otherwise, agreed...I remember during preseason I wrote on here that the easiest path to make the team for guys like DLR and/or McCarron, was to show during preseason that they could be strong in the faceofff circle.

Neither did...which is unfortunate

I like Chaput's jam. It'll be interesting to compare them tonight.

Reactions: 417

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
So why not keep all of them until the end of the season, people are claiming a reset/retool type of year so why not just keep these guys, hell even a guy like Daniel Carr, are these guys so terrible that Chaput, D'agostino and DLO are miles ahead of them, the answer is no. The reason might very well have to do with Bergevins fixation on the underdog, the guy that can come here and become Paul Byron because it worked once, let's keep doing it, plain and simple.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Runner77

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
So why not keep all of them until the end of the season, people are claiming a reset/retool type of year so why not just keep these guys, hell even a guy like Daniel Carr, are these guys so terrible that Chaput, D'agostino and DLO are miles ahead of them, the answer is no. The reason might very well have to do with Bergevins fixation on the underdog, the guy that can come here and become Paul Byron because it worked once, let's keep doing it, plain and simple.
giphy.gif

They're both disposable players, both produce pretty equally, one has a chance to perhaps continue developping and the other has a chance of getting a resurge from a new organisation that he probably dreamed of playing for.

I really don't see what the big deal is with keeping Chaput over DLR. It's a really, really small gamble.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
He's horribly bad, I don't think rating him behind Alzner is too much of a stretch tbh. They both don't belong on NHL ice, but I think Alzner is less useless. I've never seen so much blown coverage, bad giveaways and pucks into shin pads as much as this guy does. He's just terrible and he's hurt more often than Ales Hemsky. I hope I never have to watch him play again.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal

Nah it's because there is a roster size limit. Waivers are regulated by the CBA to give players opportunities elsewhere so that they are not buried on teams' rosters without gaining an opportunity at the NHL level.

You don't want to reward players like Scherbak with a roster spot when they clearly don't deserve it because it sends a bad message to everybody, especially Scherbak. Make everybody earn their spot. The fact that Scherbak and Schlemko and all the Habs waiver guys could not earn playing time on this team tells you about as much as you need to know regarding their abilities.

And yes, D'Agostino has played better than all of the forwards who have been waived and Daniel Carr.

In general the coach has more to do with waivers than the GM (that's the best case scenario). Sometimes a GM will intervene, but really it's the coaches call who plays and who sits.

In the case of Chaput vs DLR it's less clear because Chaput was not up then so perhaps Julien would have preferred DLR. In general I don't think it is worth losing sleep over.

Reactions: Habsddicted

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
The Habs lost DeLaRose to protect Plekanec. And THIS is why I call our man the IdiotGM, despite lucking out with two trades this summer AFTER trying for Tavares, Stastny and O'Reilly and after trying hard for Lucic in 2016 and only signing Radulov after failing.

Think he felt some pressure to honour Pleks after completely botching the handling of the General the year before. Only problem is, if he was going to make special considerations for anyone so they could get their 1000th game and retire a Hab it should have been Markov, I say that with no disrespect to Pleks, but Markov was a much more valuable Hab, both in performance and leadership/mentoring. Man, the more I think of it, the more I can't stand Marc Bergevin, makes my blood boil.

Reactions: Habsddicted

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
De La Rose is awful, who gives a flying f***? I hate Bergy as much as the next guy, but it's not blind hatred. He protected Pleanec and turned him into Olofsson, good move.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
They're both disposable players, both produce pretty equally, one has a chance to perhaps continue developping and the other has a chance of getting a resurge from a new organisation that he probably dreamed of playing for.

I really don't see what the big deal is with keeping Chaput over DLR. It's a really, really small gamble.

Memory, folks. Chaput was safe in the minors when the IdiotGM waived DeLaRose in order to save Plekanec, who had already played his 1000th game.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
De La Rose is awful, who gives a flying ****? I hate Bergy as much as the next guy, but it's not blind hatred. He protected Pleanec and turned him into Olofsson, good move.

How? We got nothing for Plekanec, who never played another game after being kept over DeLaRose. We got Olofsson by trading Bitten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad