Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Karl Alzner (5 Years, $4.6M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
While you're waiting, have yourself a quick read:

http://nationalpost.com/g00/sports/...77dbd17e?i10c.referrer=https://www.google.ca/

GAR models also have Weber as being one of the best dmen in the league. He's also always been one of the best HDCA (high danger chances against) dmen throughout his career.

Like i said, there are more advanced stats than just Corsi :laugh:.

The current GAR models are extremely flawed because they take PDO into account as a positive stat - quite a lot actually. It was concluded years ago that PDO is largely an unrepeatable luck stat.

This model is giving Weber credit for having an on-ice save percentage he's never even come close to at any other point in his career.

And I'm still waiting.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Still waiting.

The guy with an opinion is wrong, but nobody telling him he's wrong actually has an opinion.

Classic HF.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Still waiting.

The guy with an opinion is wrong, but nobody telling him he's wrong actually has an opinion.

Classic HF.

Alzner is not bad defensively. He gets the shaft, in terms of deployment. Context matters a lot. All these advanced stats sweetheart are mostly 2nd pair sheltered Ds. Why do you think they look better on paper?

But the real claim is that you just claimed not only Petry (Lol) was better defensively than Weber, but you also claimed Shattenkirk was better than Weber :laugh:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Alzner is not bad defensively. He gets the shaft, in terms of deployment. Context matters a lot. All these advanced stats sweetheart are mostly 2nd pair sheltered Ds. Why do you think they look better on paper?

But the real claim is that you just claimed not only Petry (Lol) was better defensively than Weber, but you also claimed Shattenkirk was better than Weber :laugh:

Who the **** made up this myth?

Klefbom, Doughty, Karlsson, Vlasic, Burns, Severson, Subban, Ekholm, Keith, Letang, Hedman, Stralman, OEL, Chara, Slavin, Brodie, Giordano, and Tanev are 2nd pair D's?

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Still waiting.

Classic HF.

Your opinion isnt an opinion, its you re-stating what youve seen on ownpuck. Most of your statements are based on HERO charts, thats why your "opinion" shouldnt be taken seriously. If i wanted to know your opinion on someone i'd just go look up his HERO chart, i wouldnt need to ask you anything directly.

Also what exactly are you waiting for? Habs fans havent seen him play yet so we cant tell you much, not everyone bases every single argument they make on HERO charts like you.

He might suck.. were gonna need to watch him first tho, that ok with you? According to Caps fans he was terrible last season but he was good before that, most Caps were raving about him up until 2 seasons ago (till his injury).

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Your opinion isnt an opinion, its you re-stating what youve seen on ownpuck. Most of your statements are based on HERO charts, thats why your "opinion" shouldnt be taken seriously. If i wanted to know your opinion on someone i'd just go look up his HERO chart, i wouldnt need to ask you anything directly.

Also what exactly are you waiting for? Habs fans havent seen him play yet so we cant tell you much, not everyone bases every single argument they make on HERO charts like you.

He might suck.. were gonna need to watch him first tho, that ok with you? According to Caps fans he was terrible last season but he was good before that, most Caps were raving about him up until 2 seasons ago (till his injury).

You're still forgetting that I've seen Alzner play a hundred times.

But anyone who disagrees with you just looks at HERO charts, I know how it works.

Actually I've literally never seen Alzner's HERO chart. Not once.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Who the **** made up this myth?

Klefbom, Doughty, Karlsson, Vlasic, Burns, Severson, Subban, Ekholm, Keith, Letang, Hedman, Stralman, OEL, Chara, Slavin, Brodie, Giordano, and Tanev are 2nd pair D's?

You realize that Weber's shot gen and shot suppression was actually legit top pairing level last season right?

Even if we were to evaluate him by your HERO metrics he'd still be a legit top pairing dman (not elite top pairing but top pairing nonetheless). Yet according to you he sucks defensively and Petry is better than him in that regard? :laugh:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You realize that Weber's shot gen and shot suppression was actually legit top pairing level last season right?

Even if we were to evaluate him by your HERO metrics he'd still be a legit top pairing dman (not elite top pairing but top pairing nonetheless). Yet according to you he sucks defensively and Petry is better than him in that regard? :laugh:

Weber had a fine year last year.

Why do we keep going back to Weber? I thought this was Alzner's thread...

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
You're still forgetting that I've seen Alzner play a hundred times.

But anyone who disagrees with you just looks at HERO charts, I know how it works.

Actually I've literally never seen Alzner's HERO chart. Not once.

Still waiting for an eye-test expert to tell me where I'm wrong about Alzner.

So we trust your opinion because you have seen him play, but if someone else has seen him play they are some sort of eye-test luddite who shouldn't be taken seriously?

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Weber had a fine year last year.

Why do we keep going back to Weber? I thought this was Alzner's thread...

Because before last season Weber was hot trash/midd pairing according to you and Petry was better than him even defensively. How can i take you seriously/credible if your entire argument on someone is based on their HERO chart?

I'm holding you accountable for your past posts, thats all. You cant just say whatever you want expect people to forget about it.

Ultimate Warrior

Mar 3, 2004
Machinehead is the guy who said Josi is not a very good defenseman last year after he used the advanced stats incorrectly and came up with that conclusion. Don't take anything he says seriously. Same type of guy that thinks you can win with a Top 4 D of Barberio-Manson Wiercioch-Clendening because they have siiiick advanced stats. Good luck with that bud.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Na his opinion isnt based on advanced stats, its based on advanced stat. Corsi/HERO charts, thats about it.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Shot attempts ? A slap shot from blue line is a shot attempt?

Why would shot attempts be an indicator of how good a defenceman is? When he doesn't even have a partial control on that ?

A shot attempt is maybe blockable near the net or circle

To me blocked shots is much more relevant

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Shot attempts ? A slap shot from blue line is a shot attempt?

Why would shot attempts be an indicator of how good a defenceman is? When he doesn't even have a partial control on that ?

A shot attempt is maybe blockable near the net or circle

To me blocked shots is much more relevant

This mentality is why Dan Girardi is making 8.5 million dollars to be useless this year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just a terrible signing by the Habs, where were desperate for d-men.....Alzer will be a buy-out candidate after two years, and won't last through the third year of his deal.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014

His shot gen was no top pairing level last season, but his shot suppression around even which is good for his usage. But you usually want a contending team to have a #1D who can be better than just even at shot suppression in tough usage while also generating top pairing level chances. Weber needs a two-way top-pairing transition D-man beside him. I would've thought Del Zotto would be a perfect match for MTL but oh well.

Alzner worries me because MTL needs better transition D-men outside of Markov/Petry and Alzner is the opposite of that.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
His shot gen was no top pairing level last season, but his shot suppression around even which is good for his usage. But you usually want a contending team to have a #1D who can be better than just even at shot suppression in tough usage while also generating top pairing level chances. Weber needs a two-way top-pairing transition D-man beside him. I would've thought Del Zotto would be a perfect match for MTL but oh well.

Alzner worries me because MTL needs better transition D-men outside of Markov/Petry and Alzner is the opposite of that.

Same, Alzner will be with Petry and might let Jeff roam a little more than he could next to any of our LD last season but shouldn't cost $4.6MM for a stay at home Top 4 D partner, especially when he gets to be bailed out by Price

It was a desperate move by a GM who's paying now for 5 years of being too cautious and selectively cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad