Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Karl Alzner (5 Years, $4.6M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
The metrics say that Cody Franson is a decent player who handles reduced ice time very well.

Why is that not possible?

Then why can't he find a steady job in the NHL? Is every NHL GM clueless?

Neither is corsi :teach:

My statement was in reference to advanced stats and you talk about production and ice time, what do you want me to tell you? You lost buddy?

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
hol up guys lemme plug [insert player here] into a hero chart and square teh cube root of the corswick now i know everything about him. Lol don't question me you fools you can't even calculate that josh manson is best D in the league
/Machinebot

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
hol up guys lemme plug [insert player here] into a hero chart and square teh cube root of the corswick now i know everything about him. Lol don't question me you fools you can't even calculate that josh manson is best D in the league
/Machinebot

Jason Demers must be an elite top pairing dman in the NHL, too bad Florida is trying to trade him and no one wants to take him. :laugh:

Michael Kempny must be the best defensive dman in the NHL. Brendan Smith must be a top pairing level defensive dman, cmon man.

If you look at adv stats then Eichel is a regular NHL'er and Ristolainen isn't even an NHL caliber player.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Then why can't he find a steady job in the NHL? Is every NHL GM clueless?

He's big and not particularly physical. That's a death sentence.

My statement was in reference to advanced stats and you talk about production and ice time, what do you want me to tell you? You lost buddy?

No, you're lost, because you think corsi is an advanced stat.

You literally count corsi like you count goals.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Probably Karl Alzner

You're really good at hiding behind your 1 liners, that's a neat talent.

He's big and not particularly physical. That's a death sentence.

No, you're lost, because you think corsi is an advanced stat.

You literally count corsi like you count goals.

:laugh: :laugh:
Who cares about the definition of a word (more precisely how you categorize it)? What are you even arguing about anymore? You consider corsi not to be an advanced stat, i do. Who the **** cares? Why does this even matter?

To me any non traditional hockey stat is an advanced stat, that's why i don't consider production or ice time an advanced stat but i consider corsi an advanced stat.

Last edited:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
You're really good at hiding behind your "some coach/GM disagrees with you" appeal to authority, and that talent sucks.

Dude up until a year ago you argued that Petry was by far better than Weber defensively, are you going to deny that? How can i take your opinion seriously when you make those type of statements?

Do you think Shattenkirk is a good defensive player because of his corsi?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Dude up until a year ago you argued that Petry was by far better than Weber defensively, are you going to deny that? How can i take your opinion seriously when you make those type of statements?

Do you think Shattenkirk is a good defensive player because of his corsi?

Yes I think Petry is better defensively than Weber. I think a garbage can is better defensively than Weber.

Yes, Shattenkirk is a good defensive player.

I don't really care if you use that in your "lol corsi sux" agenda, because you'll find something to use anyway. So, knock yourself out.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Jason Demers must be an elite top pairing dman in the NHL, too bad Florida is trying to trade him and no one wants to take him. :laugh:

Michael Kempny must be the best defensive dman in the NHL. Brendan Smith must be a top pairing level defensive dman, cmon man.

If you look at adv stats then Eichel is a regular NHL'er and Ristolainen isn't even an NHL caliber player.

Advanced stats has become the equivalent of a college stat flunkie trying to fit a trig dataset using a polynomial and thinking he's the **** because his super complicated 9th degree polynomial perfectly fits his 10 data points.

Wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so overbearing despite constantly being proven to be ********* left and right.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Yes I think Petry is better defensively than Weber. I think a garbage can is better defensively than Weber.

I don't really care if you use that in your "lol corsi sux" agenda, because you'll find something to use anyway. So, knock yourself out.

Good good, all i needed to know. Also i never said Corsi sucks (why do you continuously keep putting words in my mouth?), i said if you're gonna evaluate a player based on advanced stats (aka non traditional hockey stats) then do it the right way and compile more numbers on them instead of a SINGLE stat.

I can show you data and other metrics (i'm sure you've seen these before, there were a few posted on HF) that show Weber being a top 10 dman in the NHL, of course knowing you you'd just call it garbage and run back to your HERO chart.

Anywho that statement was all i needed to see, enjoy your day.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Advanced stats has become the equivalent of a college stat flunkie trying to fit a trig dataset using a polynomial and thinking he's the **** because his super complicated 9th degree polynomial perfectly fits his 10 data points.

Wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so overbearing despite constantly being proven to be ********* left and right.

Still waiting for an eye-test expert to tell me where I'm wrong about Alzner.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

And how about your "experts suck" agenda?

You're really good at hiding behind your "some coach/GM disagrees with you" appeal to authority, and that talent sucks.

So you don't agree with coaches, or GMs AND you think the defenseman who just finished 6th in Norris voting can't play defense. Does the fact that corsi voting comes in a spreadsheet not even do anything for you?

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Coming into this thread to see what people think about the contract-> seeing a discussion about the definition of advanced stats

seems legit

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
And how about your "experts suck" agenda?

So you don't agree with coaches, or GMs AND you think the defenseman who just finished 6th in Norris voting can't play defense. Does the fact that corsi voting comes in a spreadsheet not even do anything for you?

Dan Girardi finished 6th in Norris voting once. That says all you need to know about the value of expert opinions.

Even if facts are limited in scope, I'm going to trust them over opinions every time.

The opinion is that Weber is some kind of defensive god. The fact is that shot rates from right in front of his own goaltender skyrocket when he's on the ice.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016

He doesn't bleed scoring chances against when he doesn't have a bad groin. Though I guess the truly elite players like Demers or Manson would never be slowed down by something so trivial.

And yeah, it's truly groundbreaking that someone who PKs and generally starts in his own zone gets shot on more than generating shots. I mean, he generally successfully blocks those shots and ties up players well letting the goalie do his job and manages to get the puck out and let the cream of the crop of the league like Cody Franson do what they do at the other end, but that doesn't really affect hockey games all that much I suppose.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Dan Girardi finished 6th in Norris voting once. That says all you need to know about the value of expert opinions.

Was that back when Dan Girardi was good?

Jagr finished first in Art Ross trophy a bunch of times. The guy can barely get a contract :laugh: Shows what all those fancy trophies and experts mean.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal

Well...you're pretty dead wrong about Shattenkirk, so I guess no-one really cares if you're right or wrong about Alzner.

But I'd have to confirm that feeling with an Hero chart I guess.
...or yeah, Corsi says: I don't give a damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad