Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] G Sam Montembeault signs extension with the Canadiens (3 years, $3.15M AAV)

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
This says more about the state of Canada's goaltending, but if there were an olympics this year he'd have to be considered.

Jarry
Binnington
Blackwood
Skinner
Talbot
Hart
Ingram
Hill
Thompson
Kuemper
Montembault

What a sad looking crew

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
We just signed him? You really think they’re going to trade him now?
A team who liked him without knowing what his demands would be now know he is paid as a backup for 3 yrs.
Helps his value imo but agree Mtl doesnt have extra g to trade, cant go with Allen-Primeau with Dobes struggling… Maybe if a young g comes back: Levi, Cossa, Augustine, Askarov, more out there.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Seems a bit early to give him 3 years at that cap hit.
Goalies tend to be inconsistent but Monty has looked like a solid backup goalie since the start of last year and he's at a prime age so giving him solid backup money for the next three years seems like a pretty good bet.

Reactions: JRichard

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Interesting that they basically gave him the "medium" sort of "stopgap" bridge type deal. Makes sense i guess, as he's still not entirely proven as a true #1 Goaltender and may never be. Don't mind the signing at all...but it's very much just an indication that the Habs are continuing to kick the can down the road on finding a true successor to Price.

They kind of picked up montembeault on an emergency basis when price and Allen were injured a couple years ago. He had a really rough start but he played hurt while the habs had no other options, and ever since that offseason, hes been pretty darn good.

I don't think they had any specific plans for him but he just never seemed to play his way off the team even with Allen back in the lineup. I think most people who follow the team would also agree that he is actually the better goalie than Allen now.

The goalie pipeline in Montreal is really young. Only primeau is at that age where you can think about the NHL, but the jury is out on him, so Monty is the bridge while they hope one of those young guys develop into an nhler.

Either way, if there's one position where I have to give the Habs the benefit of the doubt, it's goaltending. They have consistently found good talent at this position since I started following the team in the 90s.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
They kind of picked up montembeault on an emergency basis when price and Allen were injured a couple years ago. He had a really rough start but he played hurt while the habs had no other options, and ever since that offseason, hes been pretty darn good.

I don't think they had any specific plans for him but he just never seemed to play his way off the team even with Allen back in the lineup. I think most people who follow the team would also agree that he is actually the better goalie than Allen now.

The goalie pipeline in Montreal is really young. Only primeau is at that age where you can think about the NHL, but the jury is out on him, so Monty is the bridge while they hope one of those young guys develop into an nhler.

Either way, if there's one position where I have to give the Habs the benefit of the doubt, it's goaltending. They have consistently found good talent at this position since I started following the team in the 90s.
Thanks Carey and Patrick.
10 seasons they werent there: 5 dnq and 3 po rounds won.

How Theodore won both Hart and Vezina in 2001-2002 still a mystery to me.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Thanks Carey and Patrick.
10 seasons they werent there: 5 dnq and 3 po rounds won.

How Theodore won both Hart and Vezina in 2001-2002 still a mystery to me.
In-between roy and price, there was also

Hackett
Theodore
Vokoun
Huet
 Halak

All these guys played very well for montreal with the exception of vokoun who only played one period with montreal and went to have a pretty good career too.

As for Theodore, that season was something else. It was the year koivu was out with cancer. I lost count how many games montreal would hang on to dear life in the 3rd period only to have Theodore bail them out time after time that year, then the big upset against Boston in round one. He was good in 04 as well and was an all star that year.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
As a Habs fan, i am not 100% sold on Monty. This deal is a good one though as its low caphit for a manageable duration. Will see if he continues his high-level of play this season.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
hes basically the scapegoat goalie during their rebuild
He's basically the stop-gap goalie during the rebuild. You can't be a scapegoat on a rebuilding a team. Only contenders have scapegoats. Pretenders have a lot of scapegoats (like the Oilers entire D and goaltending).

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
This says more about the state of Canada's goaltending, but if there were an olympics this year he'd have to be considered.

Jarry
Binnington
Blackwood
Skinner
Talbot
Hart
Ingram
Hill
Thompson
Kuemper
Montembault

What a sad looking crew
Put a good defense in front of him though? He has highest 5x5 save percentage in league with rookie defense. Montembeault will get good defense playing for Canada

EquivalentStay

Jul 27, 2020
We having a conversation in good faith, or you actually going to pretend the worlds and the olympics are the same to suit your argument?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad