Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] F Kirby Dach signs extension with the Canadiens (4 years, $3.3625M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Here I am thinking that's not bad even if Dach is a 30-35 point player. 3.5 million in this day and age for a player like that is about the norm. The term is the weird part.

I'm not shy about criticizing the Canadiens but this is fine.

Tripledeke333

Jun 25, 2021
Great deal because of the term!

This contract eliminates the risk that if Dach does bounce back, he may get “offer-sheeted” and/or cost way more.

If not, well $3.3M is a fair price to pay for a 3rd liner. I like the risk reward.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Byron could actually find his way there. He's been injured alot over the last few years, and there are questions whether he can physically do it anymore.

Monahan is also another guy who could find himself there with the hip surgeries. Those don't end well.
And they’ll find reasons and excuses to stash other players on LTIR. The NHL turns a blind eye to this practice so it’s wide open for manipulation.

And I no longer care. Let teams use it liberally. If they can afford it.. go for it.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Dont understand why pp are not ok with this, realy...
We gonna unload Drouin, Dadonov, Armia, Byron, Hoffman and possibly Monahan this season.
3.3 AAV for Dach, well done KH.
"Boat anchor on a rebulding team..." 21 years old center, former 3oa pick...

I don't see people calling him a boat anchor, did you just make that up?

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Price, Byron and Monahan will all be on the LTIR at the beginning of the season.

Monahan will eventually play but for Price and Byron it looks like it's over...

Next year Drouin, Dadonov, Allen, Byron and Monahan will all be off the book.

That's +/-23 millions.

Plus 10,5 mil for Price... we might see another salary dump for future asset type of trade again...

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
A bit rich IMO regarding money & term, its a gamble but might turn into a good deal in a year or two. Not a steal of a deal by any means, but most contracts have some risk to them just as this one does but its not a bad deal either.......just "ok"

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I initially thought same as you. Curious as to why as well. Wonder if it's because he on injured so long.

That's what CapFriendly is saying on twitter, that he didn't meet the GP threshold in 20-21 to accrue a season towards his 7. But according to CapFriendly's CBA FAQ, "Games missed due to a hockey related injury will count towards an accrued season in the season of the injury, plus one additional season after the injury."

If I had to guess it's because he was injured in a world junior exhibition, so the league is off the hook for his time missed.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Too much money for this year but could turned great out in a year or 2 or then again could be another Galchenyuk

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
And they’ll find reasons and excuses to stash other players on LTIR. The NHL turns a blind eye to this practice so it’s wide open for manipulation.

And I no longer care. Let teams use it liberally. If they can afford it.. go for it.

How is it manipulation if the team doesn't benefit from it? Do you honestly believe Bergevin sacrificed himself by putting his best players Weber/Price on LTIR last season? BTW poor teams can also use LTIR...most if not all the salary would be paid by insurance.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Zadina 22 years old playing 3rd line with bums: 1.8 million x 3 years
NHL Career160253661

Dach 21 years old playing with Kane/Debrincat 4 years, $3.3625

I know the cap doesn't matter right now for MTL but this is a bit much no?
I’m more concern about Zadina future vs Dach future. players over 6ft 3 take more time to improving. the last exemple is Tage Thompson. I wouldnt be shocked to see Shane Wright having a better season than Slafkovsky this year in terms of points, but on the long run, this is another history.

Reactions: Kimota

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
I agree with the sentiment. Probably a little steep today but this seems like a good bet for the Habs and relatively low risk if he doesn't progress. With current salaries, its not that crazy of a leap for him to be at least worth this contract and seems entirely plausible that its a steal before long.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Hope he can rebound, but this is like a RFA offersheet type deal to snag a player and not really necessary at all.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
That's what CapFriendly is saying on twitter, that he didn't meet the GP threshold in 20-21 to accrue a season towards his 7. But according to CapFriendly's CBA FAQ, "Games missed due to a hockey related injury will count towards an accrued season in the season of the injury, plus one additional season after the injury."

If I had to guess it's because he was injured in a world junior exhibition, so the league is off the hook for his time missed.

Correct, he wasn't "in" the NHL when he was injured.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Zadina 22 years old playing 3rd line with bums: 1.8 million x 3 years
NHL Career160253661

Dach 21 years old playing with Kane/Debrincat 4 years, $3.3625

I know the cap doesn't matter right now for MTL but this is a bit much no?
Perhaps this was the cost of getting that 4th year. Also, Dach plays centre

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
doesn’t seem like he really believes in himself. if you think you’re gonna be good you take 2 years max
For a guy who just had major injuries perhaps he has a different angle and it's not about not trusting in his abilities, but making sure he has 12+M guaranteed. It's not like he signed for 8 years at a discount... he'll only be 25 when the deal expires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad