Confirmed with Link: [MTL/DAL] Habs Acquire Jordie Benn for Pateryn and a 4th

Mr Fox

Hungry since '93
Aug 21, 2013
He's improved his defensive game this year. He played 17 less games and was on pace to have similar offensive numbers as last year. He has improved.

I'm sorry you are right, he has improved; I guess it is more a matter of expectations. I wanted him to have the kind of season that Provorov had in his second year. Again, I did not follow Provorov, and am unaware of the different variables he had to deal with. I just wanted to be reassured that the gem we thought we were getting, is undisputed and that he could be of help to the habs sooner rather than later.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I will gladly eat a plate full of crow for thinking he was another garbage #7 dman and crying about that trade.

Good on you for posting this.

There were a lot of people that didn't know a thing about Benn criticizing him and Bergevin after the trade that clearly didn't have the faintest idea what they were talking about. Kudos to you for admitting you were wrong.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm sorry you are right, he has improved; I guess it is more a matter of expectations. I wanted him to have the kind of season that Provorov had in his second year. Again, I did not follow Provorov, and am unaware of the different variables he had to deal with. I just wanted to be reassured that the gem we thought we were getting, is undisputed and that he could be of help to the habs sooner rather than later.

He will help the Habs sooner than later. Even if he's a Top-10 pick, I don't need him to come in and dominate as a top pair defenseman.

As I agreed with you, if he was on the third pair with Benn, I would be pleased because he will be with a stable and consistent veteran. He will play weaker opposition on most nights where CJ at least has the last change. It will be the best way to break him into the NHL.

Babcock had the same approach for Matthews. He started him on the third line and let him adjust to NHL hockey before moving him up the line-up.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

I think we also have to remember Provorov played a year in the USHL before two in the WHL. Sergachev just came from Russia last season and was OHL defenceman of the year. For a kid to come from Russia, acclimate and learn the style of game to dominate that quickly is impressive.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
He's improved his defensive game this year. He played 17 less games and was on pace to have similar offensive numbers as last year. He has improved.

I agree Benn would be a great guy to pair Sergachev with. Weber would be a great mentor, but maybe Sergachev won't be ready to start off with top pairing minutes. And Benn is probably the best guy to help start Sergachev slowly and make him earn his way up.

Start off with Benn and move him up to Weber. Sounds good to me.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Alot of HF posters are laughing at the depth on D that MB always acquire at the trade deadline, but can you imagine that DCore without Benn right now!!??

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
When we picked him up not gunna lie, I thought he was Jamie Benn's #7D little brother who didn't even deserve a sniff at playing in the NHL and was shocked Bergevin actually wasted assets to acquire him. Not going to lie I was a bit ignorant about his play.

Boy was I wrong. Seems he's another steal by Bergy. Guy has been pretty solid...

and maybe can convince his bro to come to MTL when his contracts up :sarcasm:

His contract is up in 2024-25.

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
It's laughable how much Benn is better than Pateryn. Great pickup. Not sure how he was playing in Dallas but I am not sure why they traded him!

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
The best deadline acquisition by far

I wasn't expecting much but he has surpassed my expectations by a mile

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
I agree. He's our best acquisition this year after Radulov. Shaw could still pull into second ahead of him, though. I hope he does...

WTF? Shaw? He's been playing better but at that salary... He's paid what? 1.something only less than Radulov? Unless his salary magically reduces by 75% he'll always be a crummy acquisition.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
WTF? Shaw? He's been playing better but at that salary... He's paid what? 1.something only less than Radulov? Unless his salary magically reduces by 75% he'll always be a crummy acquisition.

Well I suggested that because so many have lauded Shaw's playoff genius. That's what I was referring to. If he can substantially raise his game and contribute to winning by living up to that lofty reputation, then he could be a gem. Time will tell.

We don't have a Toews or Kane though...

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Well I suggested that because so many have lauded Shaw's playoff genius. That's what I was referring to. If he can substantially raise his game and contribute to winning by living up to that lofty reputation, then he could be a gem. Time will tell.

We don't have a Toews or Kane though...

We don't need a Toews or Kane, we just need Shaw to play on the wing. He's so much more effective when he doesn't have to focus more defensively and can work the boards and in front of the net, hopefully Chucky is centering that line tonight.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Didn't know anything about him when we acquired him. What a steal by MB, hope we don't lose him in the expansion draft.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Bergevin's best trade so far. I don't know how they pulled this one off.

this year then yes but the Danault trade is his best imo. To get him and a 2nd for 2 UFA's on their way out in the Dutch gretzky and Flash is likely going to continue to pay nice dividends for years to come.

really hope we don't lose Benn to the expansion though, what a pick up.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I'm sold. Guy is a great bottom pairing dman.

Wait until Emelin is back and roll this all the way to the SCF

Markov Weber
Emelin Petry
Beaulieu Benn

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I'm sold. Guy is a great bottom pairing dman.

Wait until Emelin is back and roll this all the way to the SCF

Markov Weber
Emelin Petry
Beaulieu Benn

definitely keep Benn on the 2nd unless Emelin outplays him cleanly. No reason to muck up a pretty effective 2nd pairing right now.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Do you guys think they consider protecting Benn over Beaulieu? I notice he's on a sweatheart deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad