Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] D Jordan Harris signs extension with the Canadiens (2 years, $1.4M AAV)

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I'm not sold on this, it seems high if he doesn't show us more.

Essentially, Hughes is betting Harris can be a top-4 or a fixture as a 5th D who plays both sides.... otherwise he'll be expensive for what he brings, won't get a QO in 2 years and turn into a journeyman.

It also means MTL has 9 defensemen signed for next season, so the odds of Edmundson getting moved just went up. (we could still send Wideman to the AHL at worst, but I doubt that's the plan)
Well he got 2 goals today in the dusting of the Oilers. Harris is easily worth 1.4 mil.

Reactions: Wats and HabsQC

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
The thing I like about him is when he shoots on net, he rarely misses the net. Most of his shots end up in rebounds or are deflectable.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
Boston has 5D making more than 3M, and two around 1M. Most successful teams have a strong top 4 or 5 making real money, and after that it's cheap, ELC-level contracts. I'm not sold on Harris belonging in the upper grouping, so giving him a raise that puts him on course for a top-4 role when he hasn't shown this yet seems premature.
He might well find a top-4 role, but if he doesn't, he'll be overpaid and Habs will likely have to move him or not qualify him. He has neither the Edmundson/Chiarot/Savard type size and shutdown ability, nor does he seem to have high-level offense, so a top-4 role isn't a given.

So you don't like that Harris will be paid third pairing money even though he's earned it, based on the entirely made up fear that he will have to be paid top 4 money on his next contract even if his play doesn't deserve it. Even though we've seen that $3M is bottom pair money for Boston. Even though nothing indicates Harris will stop progressing. Even though the Habs could simply choose not to qualify him if he regresses or fails to progress. Are you worried the contract might make the sky fall on your head, too?

Reactions: BLNY and Habsrule

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
I'm not hating it. But I'm not really liking it, since it means a 1.55M qualifying offer in 2 years, and I'm not sure he's on the path to being a top-4 type of player. Habs can probably move him at that point, I know, but I'd rather see him find his role as a 5th/6th D with us and keep him.

wait what..

1.55M is top 4 money? Still stuck in 1980 aren't ya?

Reactions: Wats

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Top4 at 1.4M$? You must be new on the cap charts..... Harris is playing really well for a 3rd pairing rookie defenceman.

Get a clue.
He's actually playing second pairing minutes already with high defensive zone starts. Really can't ask for much more from a rookie D that's not expected to be elite.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Liking this one, 2 more years to improve his NHL play and then he can get the payoff.

If he's top-4 at 1.4M it's a bargain.
If he stays a #5-6 who doesn't bring anything special, it's expensive, and will be as long as he's QO-ed.
In today's NHL even $1.4M for a bottom pairing is about average, don't get your issue with this signing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad