Proposal: MTL - CLB

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
During the HNIC intermission, they mentioned Josh Anderson's unhappiness being forced onto the 4th line.

The two teams of "interest" are supposedly the Leafs and Habs.

Here's my proposal :sarcasm:

CLB:
Scherbak, Nikita
Shaw, Andrew
*Conditional 2020 Habs 5th rd pick*

MTL:
Anderson, Josh
Conditional 2019 CLB 3rd round pick*

*If Shaw plays more than 40 games this season, the pick becomes a 2020 2nd rd pick, CLB receives the Habs' 5th.

Logic:
Colombus gets a guy who can slot in as their 3C at best, play in the bottom six RW position at worst (which is being covered already by Anderson + take a gamble on another right shot RW who needs a fresh start and who has top 6 upside.

Montreal gets out of the logjam at forward by dropping out of a contract and get a controlled piece which adds scoring + size to its roster.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
When Panarin leaves Anderson is going to be an important player. He's probably not going anywhere.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
how about we just get their first and we give them back their 2nd and have it lottery protected.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Anderson would be a good add for Montreal, Sherback and Shaw don’t really offset the loss though. Not a smart trade for columbus

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Your proposal includes Andrew Shaw coming to the Jackets and therefore is an automatic fail.

Then again, you have to look at the player, not his reputation on HF.
On HF a player like Shaw who puts up 35-40 pts a season while playing all 3 offensive positions & being good at draws is not even worth a 2nd.
In real life, those kinds of players who show up big time comes playoffs are actually valued highly by most GMs.

For CLB:

Currently:
An upgrade on Anderson who plays the fourth line with a guy who'll put up an extra 5-10 points and can help with the Jackets' center woes.
An unknown factor in Scherbak.

The potential:
A 35-40pts 3C in Shaw for the next 4 years.
A 40-55 pts right shot, right-winger in Scherbak.

That's not all that bad of a return for a guy that is sitting on the 4th line (and really should be competing for that 2RW spot instead and be a 3RW on a deep team).

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Teams usually don't include 1st round picks for middle sixers. (Except for the Pens with Reaves, but you know, in general.)
yup i know but it wasnt a first as the only pick involved. It was like moving down the draft. It was more of a second + Shaw + Scherback for a 1rst, which seems too much for the habs imo. It basically is 17-31 range pick for 32-62 range pick + 2 useful players.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
yup i know but it wasnt a first as the only pick involved. It was like moving down the draft. It was more of a second + Shaw + Scherback for a 1rst, which seems too much for the habs imo. It basically is 17-31 range pick for 32-62 range pick + 2 useful players.

I'd still include Josh Anderson at that point and feel like the habs would have to upgrade from Scherbak to a Lehkonen for it to actually go down.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I'd still include Josh Anderson at that point and feel like the habs would have to upgrade from Scherbak to a Lehkonen for it to actually go down.
if we remove that 2nd and make it a third then sure.
1rst (protected) + Andersen for Shaw + Lehkonen + 3rd

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
On HF a player like Shaw who puts up 35-40 pts a season while playing all 3 offensive positions & being good at draws is not even worth a 2nd.
In real life, those kinds of players who show up big time comes playoffs are actually valued highly by most GMs.

For CLB:

Currently:
An upgrade on Anderson who plays the fourth line with a guy who'll put up an extra 5-10 points and can help with the Jackets' center woes.
An unknown factor in Scherbak.

The potential:
A 35-40pts 3C in Shaw for the next 4 years.
A 40-55 pts right shot, right-winger in Scherbak.

That's not all that bad of a return for a guy that is sitting on the 4th line (and really should be competing for that 2RW spot instead and be a 3RW on a deep team).
Anderson is better than everyone in that proposal lol.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
On HF a player like Shaw who puts up 35-40 pts a season
Don't try that bull**** here. He's never managed even 30 points in a Habs uniform, and never managed 40 points ever in his career. And Anderson is a far superior goal scorer.

Currently:

Are you seriously trying to sell Shaw - Andrew Shaw - as an "upgrade" on Josh Anderson? He's slower, smaller, older, much more injury prone, VASTLY more overpaid, and scores at the same rate but doesn't manage to stay healthy enough to actually have the same amount of points on the board. Indeed, that "extra 5-10 points" is pure fabricated fantasy of the most absurdly dishonest kind - Shaw has never, not once, outscored Anderson in a season since Anderson became a NHL regular. And if he was actually any use whatsoever at C he'd be playing that position. Everything he brings is already on the Jackets team - I'd say we have five more of him already, except that every single one of those examples is a clearly better player, and most of them are on better contracts. (Foligno, Jenner, Dubinsky, Anderson himself, Nash.)

Shaw has zero value to the Jackets. Zero.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I like that, not sure Colombus likes it though as every fan base puts an insane premium on their 1st.
The 1st has nothing to do with it. You're trying to get us to give up useful assets on our team for trash that we can't use at all. See above re: Shaw, and Scherbak would have a tough time making the top-9 in Cleveland, let alone Columbus.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Don't try that bull**** here. He's never managed even 30 points in a Habs uniform, and never managed 40 points ever in his career. And Anderson is a far superior goal scorer.

Are you seriously trying to sell Shaw - Andrew Shaw - as an "upgrade" on Josh Anderson? He's slower, smaller, older, much more injury prone, VASTLY more overpaid, and scores at the same rate but doesn't manage to stay healthy enough to actually have the same amount of points on the board. Indeed, that "extra 5-10 points" is pure fabricated fantasy of the most absurdly dishonest kind - Shaw has never, not once, outscored Anderson in a season since Anderson became a NHL regular. And if he was actually any use whatsoever at C he'd be playing that position. Everything he brings is already on the Jackets team - I'd say we have five more of him already, except that every single one of those examples is a clearly better player, and most of them are on better contracts. (Foligno, Jenner, Dubinsky, Anderson himself, Nash.)

Shaw has zero value to the Jackets. Zero.

I'm sorry but shaw had 29 points in 68 games so yeah he never put up 30 points with Montreal but saying that without stating the fact that he would have if he didn't miss 14 games in his first year here. He also had 20 in 51 so odds are he would have hit 30 last year as well.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm sorry but shaw had 29 points in 68 games so yeah he never put up 30 points with Montreal but saying that without stating the fact that he would have if he didn't miss 14 games in his first year here. He also had 20 in 51 so odds are he would have hit 30 last year as well.
Huh. I wonder if I said something about that.

and scores at the same rate but doesn't manage to stay healthy enough to actually have the same amount of points on the board.

Oh, look at that. I did.

There is no counterargument you can offer that can make Shaw magically have value to the Jackets.

And frankly since this whole thing of picking up Anderson seems to be based entirely on Nick Kypreos' masturbation fantasies unfounded fabrications, it might be prudent to just shut this down.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Huh. I wonder if I said something about that.

Oh, look at that. I did.

There is no counterargument you can offer that can make Shaw magically have value to the Jackets.

No, scoring at a 30 point pace and scoring 29 in 68 are very different things, also you said shaw has never outscored Anderson but Shaw and Andersson had the same amount of points in 2016-2017 yet shaw 10 less games and I'd bet damn near anything that if you made a poll and stated if two players had the same amount of points but one did it in ten less games did one outscore the other the answer would be yes.

Edit: yeah but you know keep leaving out specifics and enjoy your night cause frankly I'm heading to bed.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
No, scoring at a 30 point pace and scoring 29 in 68 are very different things, also you said shaw has never outscored Anderson but Shaw and Andersson had the same amount of points in 2016-2017 yet shaw 10 less games and I'd bet damn near anything that if you made a poll and stated if two players had the same amount of points but one did it in ten less games did one outscore the other the answer would be yes.
Okay, I was off on one season. Congratulations, you've successfully picked a nit. Shaw is still of zero value to the Jackets.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Okay, I was off on one season. Congratulations, you've successfully picked a nit. Shaw is still of zero value to the Jackets.

You keep saying that, it keeps being untrue.

Shaw is not a negative value player. Especially to a team with torts as a coach. Shaw is well respected around the league whether some people like it or not. Yes he’s overpaid, yes he’s often injured but he still has impact when he played and still contributes in a positive way to his team.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Shaw is not a negative value player. Especially to a team with torts as a coach. Shaw is well respected around the league whether some people like it or not. Yes he’s overpaid, yes he’s often injured but he still has impact when he played and still contributes in a positive way to his team.
To The Jackets. The Jackets. Not "X generic random team that I assume the Jackets to be", the current Blue Jackets roster. Sure, he might be valuable somewhere else. Here, there's nowhere useful for him to play, and he's paid too damn much for us to want to take him on . And Anderson is a better goal scorer so we'd rather have him.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Why are the better pieces on the Columbus side?
original deal was
1rst (lottery protected) for 2nd (CBJ) + Shaw + Scherback.

Bad deal for MTL imo, easily. Just willing to cough up a heavy premium for additional 1rst rounders as a rebuilding team.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014

The cbj havent been able to stay healthy the past 3-5yrs so why trade a great goal scoring kid for shaw? Cap makes no sense age makes no sense and people saying 3c who does he beat out over Nash Wennberg and pld? Getting Shaw for the wing would be a downgrade... makes 0 sense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad