Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CGY] Sean Monahan and conditional 2024/25/26 1st round pick for future considerations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Hopefully he can get back to 25-35 and 60 point pace. If that’s the case, and he’s on that pace by the deadline, Habs retain 50% and get a 1st round pick for sure.

Monahan for half a season and 2 first round picks for free. A masterclass by Kent Hughes.
I think i would keep him and resigned him for 5 years.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think Calgary had to make the trade. They didn't want to give up the pick but forced to for caproom. After the big mega deal with Florida. They couldn't risk Monahan and it blow their season. They had to move fast as another team would gobble up Kadri.

Tripledeke333

Jun 25, 2021
I think Calgary had to make the trade. They didn't want to give up the pick but forced to for caproom. After the big mega deal with Florida. They couldn't risk Monahan and it blow their season. They had to move fast as another team would gobble up Kadri.
Yup. Calgary got Huberdeau, Kadri and Weegar signed long term.

Monahan and the pick were cap casualties.

Reactions: Nanuuk and Fig

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
He impressed me in the faceoff circle yesterday, something the Habs have had issues with the last few seasons. Will be nice if he can keep that up on top of the scoring!
Faceoffs were always something he was good at. Especially offensive zone faceoffs on the PP. He was high 60s on PP faceoffs one year. He used to be automatic in the slot before all the injuries too. He was a great guy, I hope he gets back to some semblance of what he used to be,

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
I think i would keep him and resigned him for 5 years.
I would not. I like him a lot. But we have to have long term picture in mind. He’s 28. He’s not old but not young either. If you can get another 1st in this years draft, you do it. If you sign him for 5 years, you have him from 29 to 34…

You can’t be swooned by it. Sometimes in a rebuild, you have to let good players and good people go and I think he’d be one of them especially if we can get a 1st.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'll definitely be following Habs games a lot closer this year just because of Monahan. I hope he does well.
Oh... and what a brilliant idea to put Monahan on the wing. Too bad Calgary didn't do that. The fan base has only been suggesting it ever since Lindholm became the #1 center.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Well he's still young and the team needs good vets like him to help out w/ the kids. Wouldn't mind seeing him back if he doesn't ask for too much :laugh: (especially with Dadonov/Drouin/Byron coming off the books).

But ya he played a really solid game, very good decision making and played super calm/poised. He's definitely the type of player you want your young players to be around.
When you're packaged with a 1st round pick to be dumped, you usually won't have much negotiation power the following summer. I imagine he signs a 1 year deal somewhere, Montreal or other for 2-3M. Unless he magically scores 60+ points again.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
He looked real good last night. Wonder if he impresses this season if montreal could turn him into another 1st round pick fully retained or atleast a 2nd

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I'll definitely be following Habs games a lot closer this year just because of Monahan. I hope he does well.
Oh... and what a brilliant idea to put Monahan on the wing. Too bad Calgary didn't do that. The fan base has only been suggesting it ever since Lindholm became the #1 center.

Yeah works perfectly for us as well. Dach takes faceoffs on the right and Monohan takes them on the left.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Hopefully he has a great year and the Flames give another pick to get him back at the deadline for a playoff run. Win Win.
Isn't there some CBA rule about a player not being able to be traded back to the original team during the same season? I vaguely remember some issue with that. Also, I want a guy who can skate. It's why I don't like Toffoli.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
This is looking like an all time trade so far. Monahan looks great and they gave us a 1st rounder to take him. Incredible.

I'm super happy for Mony and his good start. He starts most seasons off like this, but the issue is durability. The sad part is that injuries will accumulate till the TDL. I hope not, but that's the issues we struggled with him in the past, especially his wrists.

Again, happy he's doing well and I hope this continues. But I think you guys will see by Christmas that the first is fair, not excessive.

Faceoffs were always something he was good at. Especially offensive zone faceoffs on the PP. He was high 60s on PP faceoffs one year. He used to be automatic in the slot before all the injuries too. He was a great guy, I hope he gets back to some semblance of what he used to be,

Yep, his face offs improved a ton after Lindholm and Ryan showed up from Carolina. Until his wrists goes to injury, he's solid. When they go, he's almost literally one handed "Mona hand".

I would not. I like him a lot. But we have to have long term picture in mind. He’s 28. He’s not old but not young either. If you can get another 1st in this years draft, you do it. If you sign him for 5 years, you have him from 29 to 34…

You can’t be swooned by it. Sometimes in a rebuild, you have to let good players and good people go and I think he’d be one of them especially if we can get a 1st.

I don't think you can get a first. The injury risk on him is still too high. I'd like to be proven wrong, but that's the sad part of Monahan. He didn't take care of his body well enough and his body is more like a 28 year old vs a 28 year old. If not for the injury woes, he'd probably still be a Flame.

I'm glad he's doing well for you guys and that you guys have fast skating wingers to put on his line so that he doesn't have to work as hard for simple plays. Maybe that will help him a lot in terms of ensuring he doesn't get injured as easily. Either way, I'm rooting for Mony's come back!

??? Ward and Sutter did that on multiple occasions, then tried him as the 3C behind Backlund and Lindholm. One of the issues was that our bottom 6 guys were all slow which created problems with Monahan doing well down there. Montreal doesn't have this issue IIRC, so I think he doesn't have to compensate as much or work as hard to do simple plays.

Yeah works perfectly for us as well. Dach takes faceoffs on the right and Monohan takes them on the left.

We did this with Lindholm on our top line once upon a time and it worked great as far as face offs go. I'm certain this load balancing concept would work well for you guys as well.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Really happy for Monahan. Even if he was healthy, I just don't see him working out in the Sutter system. Really hope he's able to carry on his career in Montreal.

Stings to lose a first, but that had a lot to do with the timing of Monahan's injuries. They really hampered him the last two years, so the Flames were had to throw in assets to move him. A healthy Monahan, however, is a solid middle 6 centre who does whatever's asked. Hopefully, he keeps it up in Montreal.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
let's go Monahan! I think most Flames fans are rooting for a comeback from him.
I think most hockey fans should be rooting for him. Would be a great comeback story.

Doesn’t help Dubas’ case that both Andersen and Campbell won last night. Andersen looked amazing.
Andersen is such a good goalie. Yes he gets injured but he is the one Toronto should have held onto, but got ran out of town IMO

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Anyone hoping for anything for dadonov needs to wake up. This guy has been atrocious. Still worth to get rid of Weber deal so just need to ride this out but I’d be shocked if there would be any interest even at 50% retained

He scored 20-goals *last season* and you think fans that believe he could be dealt this year, possibly with retention need to "wake up?"

Reactions: viceroy

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018

I would rather let go Dvorak , Hoffman, Dadonov , Armia, Gallagher then Monahan

Reactions: viceroy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad