Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CGY] Sean Monahan and conditional 2024/25/26 1st round pick for future considerations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I wish Monahan well. I was always a fan of his. Hopefully he can get his mojo back... both for his sake and the Habs. Although not too well. You don't want to ruin your chances in the Connor Bedard lottery.
I feel like Montreal's D will compensate on suck if Monahan returns to somewhat of his previous form.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
The Flames were in a numbers crunch and had to waive a couple of players down to the AHL. They thought, with Byron's injury history, he would slide through. They were wrong. They gambled and lost.
Ya but I'm remembering that there was someone else that should have been waived but they decided to gamble with Byron.
I think it was maybe Mason Raymond?
I remember the fans were pretty annoyed about losing Byron when it really wasn't necessary.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Ya but I'm remembering that there was someone else that should have been waived but they decided to gamble with Byron.
I think it was maybe Mason Raymond?
I remember the fans were pretty annoyed about losing Byron when it really wasn't necessary.
Mason Raymond and Paul Byron both got waived at the same time. Flames were hoping someone would claim Raymond so they could be rid of his $3M salary. But I think you are right.... I do believe there was another player they were considering waiving instead of Byron.. I just can't remember who. Josh Jooris perhaps?
I also remember that a lot of people weren't happy with Brandon Bollig's play and wanted him gone.

Last edited:

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Mason Raymond and Paul Byron both got waived at the same time. Flames were hoping someone would claim Raymond so they could be rid of his $3M salary. But I think you are right.... I do believe there was another player they were considering waiving instead of Byron.. I just can't remember who. Josh Jooris perhaps?
I also remember that a lot of people weren't happy with Brandon Bollig's play and wanted him gone.
I think I remember now. It's because we were carrying 3 goalies and none of them were all that good, so stupid.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I think I remember now. It's because we were carrying 3 goalies and none of them were all that good, so stupid.
Ah yes... the good old days of Ramo, Hiller, and Ortio who all played their last season in the NHL for the 2015-16 Flames and who had a combined Sv% of .898 and a GAA of 2.944. We sure knew how to pick 'em.

iguuar

Aug 20, 2022
Ok, a few things:

1) Calgary couldn't buy out Monahan because he wasn't/isn't healthy enough to be bought out.

2) Its hard to imagine Dube had any market given the trade market for wingers this offseason. He wouldn't have cost a 1st to move, but it would have cost something.

3) There is no hope in hell that Calgary could have gotten Huberdeau, Weegar AND Lundell for Tkachuk. Lundell has a lot more trade value than you seem to think.Calgary couldn’t have had Lundell had the deal not just been slightly modified. Even most Flames fans recognize that, let alone fans of other teams.

Treliving had been trying to clear cap for a while. It wasn't until Montreal determined that they had LTIR space with Price that Treliving got a deal he could live with. Most other teams with cap space value taking on 6 mil in salary more than Montreal.
1. Treliving said AT THE DRAFT. The entire Flames team with the exception of Chris Tanev, were healthy.

2. Dillon Dube is absolutely worth a 3rd round pick. He just scored 18 goals and is on a $2M contract. If anything he would go for a 2nd or a 3rd depending on the team.

3. Cole Schwindt plus the 25 1st easily could have been swapped for Lundell with Calgary adding a complimentary piece such as a 2nd or someone like Valimaki.

Treliving hadn't been trying to clear cap at all actually.

What you dont seem to understand. Gaudreau screwd them hard. The understanding to Flames management was Gaudreau re-signing was a 99% done deal.

The expectation was Gudbranson and Zadorov would not be coming back and that Monahan would be most likely bought out.

What changed was Tkachuk telling the team he had no interest of playing in Canada.

It was not until that absolute point where adding Kadri became a priority.

This is also why every single analyst said the re-signing of Zadorov made zero sense at all. Not only did they not need an extra D man they didn't need someone taking $3.25m of space space playing in a 5/6D roll.

As I said several mistakes were made.

#1. Why the hell do you sign Rooney who is a 4C to a deal paying $1.2m. that is paying 0.5M for a replacement AHL player. Its 100% not needed. The difference between Rooney and Ruzicka is not worth that $0.5M

#2. Overpaying Mangiapane. There is no world a one hit wonder is worth $5.8M. At the most he should have gotten $4.5M to $5.0M.

#3. Re-signing Lewis. Again, jesus a stupid Sutter like move to avoid giving yound kids a chance to play. At least this contract is close to league minimum but its still not needed.

#4. Zadorov at $3.25m was absolutely stupid. Again, Treliving panicked and overpaid for a 5/6D. Now that we have Weegar Zadorov is 100% NOT NEEDED.

Weegar Hannifin
Andersson Kylington
Tanev Mackey/Valimaki

Where the hell is there a need for a bottom pairing $3.25m D man?

The only reason he made the trade was he missed the buyout periods to get the space he needed to sign Kadri. The expectation was Kadri was gone else where. It wasn't until Kadri brough his demands of a 7x8 down to a 7x7 that Calgary had any interest.

Again, never a need to pay a 1st to get rid of Monahan at all. A 1st round draft pick is the cost of trading a playing with multiple years of a bad contract. Not 1 single year that can be easily bought out.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
1. Treliving said AT THE DRAFT. The entire Flames team with the exception of Chris Tanev, were healthy.

2. Dillon Dube is absolutely worth a 3rd round pick. He just scored 18 goals and is on a $2M contract. If anything he would go for a 2nd or a 3rd depending on the team.

3. Cole Schwindt plus the 25 1st easily could have been swapped for Lundell with Calgary adding a complimentary piece such as a 2nd or someone like Valimaki.

Treliving hadn't been trying to clear cap at all actually.

What you dont seem to understand. Gaudreau screwd them hard. The understanding to Flames management was Gaudreau re-signing was a 99% done deal.

The expectation was Gudbranson and Zadorov would not be coming back and that Monahan would be most likely bought out.

What changed was Tkachuk telling the team he had no interest of playing in Canada.

It was not until that absolute point where adding Kadri became a priority.

This is also why every single analyst said the re-signing of Zadorov made zero sense at all. Not only did they not need an extra D man they didn't need someone taking $3.25m of space space playing in a 5/6D roll.

As I said several mistakes were made.

#1. Why the hell do you sign Rooney who is a 4C to a deal paying $1.2m. that is paying 0.5M for a replacement AHL player. Its 100% not needed. The difference between Rooney and Ruzicka is not worth that $0.5M

#2. Overpaying Mangiapane. There is no world a one hit wonder is worth $5.8M. At the most he should have gotten $4.5M to $5.0M.

#3. Re-signing Lewis. Again, jesus a stupid Sutter like move to avoid giving yound kids a chance to play. At least this contract is close to league minimum but its still not needed.

#4. Zadorov at $3.25m was absolutely stupid. Again, Treliving panicked and overpaid for a 5/6D. Now that we have Weegar Zadorov is 100% NOT NEEDED.

Weegar Hannifin
Andersson Kylington
Tanev Mackey/Valimaki

Where the hell is there a need for a bottom pairing $3.25m D man?

The only reason he made the trade was he missed the buyout periods to get the space he needed to sign Kadri. The expectation was Kadri was gone else where. It wasn't until Kadri brough his demands of a 7x8 down to a 7x7 that Calgary had any interest.

Again, never a need to pay a 1st to get rid of Monahan at all. A 1st round draft pick is the cost of trading a playing with multiple years of a bad contract. Not 1 single year that can be easily bought out.

...yup...HuGo schooled Treliving...and they'd gladly do it again at the Deadline if you need a scoring winger or two, so Come On Down; you're the next contestant on The Price is Right (for Montreal)...:thumbu:

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Link or
giphy.gif

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Was he injured?
I know MTL picked him up on waivers, it was stupid that he was even on waivers but it is what it is.

I believe he was injured enough that he was participating in training camp, but then did not play for the Canadiens for several weeks while he properly healed from his injury. I've actually always wondered why he wasn't on IR Instead.

I can't seem to find the info, but IIRC, he sat for like 2-4 weeks after being claimed or something like that before playing his first game. You can see in his NHL GP he goes from 57 to 62 then 81 and. He didn't play a full season for the Habs. IIRC, he wasn't ready to come back but was fighting for that last slot or something.

Surely wasn't, as you can't waive an injured player.

It was a weird scenario and I recall being confused why he wasn't on IR or a conditioning stint or something.

It was like, he was good enough to play, but not at full health. He was trying to grab that last spot so played instead of sat or something. I'm unsure if he made his injury worse from playing, but IIRC, he didn't play a game for the habs for like 2-4 weeks or something after being claimed.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Didn't he have a wrist surgery which caused him to miss time towards the end of 2014-2015? I thought that played something of a role in the whole being put on waivers by the Flames? The previous poster is correct in saying that he sat for a few weeks before playing his first game. I'm pretty sure Byron was sitting out to ensure that his wrist was at 100 percent before getting back into action.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
im looking forward to it; its low cost and high reward, given our situation and his contract duration

Yeah, I'm more curious cause it could be a Tatar situation where he produces on a new team after having a struggle with his previous one for a season (or two in Monahan situation).

I'm not expecting him to reach 60+ pts again but he does have game when he is 100% healthy.

Also curious as to what center we have that moves to his wing or vice versa. Could be a good fit with Dach or Evans.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Yeah, I'm more curious cause it could be a Tatar situation where he produces on a new team after having a struggle with his previous one for a season (or two in Monahan situation).

I'm not expecting him to reach 60+ pts again but he does have game when he is 100% healthy.

Also curious as to what center we have that moves to his wing or vice versa. Could be a good fit with Dach or Evans.
I am still thinking its Dvorak that leaves, unless Dach doesnt sign

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
wow, what happened to Monahan, he used to be a point per game player.

lol. He had one season where he scored PPG... no other season has he been particularly close to PPG.

And his numbers were always pumped up by playing with one of the most potent offensive and driving wingers in the league.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
It was a popular opinion on here until MacK's breakout season...and not just from Calgary fans...
Fair enough. I once thought that Nail Yakupov would develop into a good NHL player.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Fair enough. I once thought that Nail Yakupov would develop into a good NHL player.

Nail got me too. Even after it failed for him in Edmonton I still wanted to believe he could turn into something because of how easy to root for he was & how hard he tried...such a shame he never figured out what it was he was supposed to be trying to do *sigh*

I had a solidly positive hit rate back when I was still petty enough to keep track, but there were definitely some whiffs that were just as big as my hits :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad