Proposal: MTL - CAR - PIT

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
No from Montreal. If Pacioretty moves a 1st needs to be included or a prospect with high upside. Both Maata and Rask are nice, but they will both be UFAs by the time the team competes again. Neither are close to be as good as Patch too.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Rather have Maatta than Faulk and Brassard over Fleury. Tradin Brassard just leaves us looking for a 3C again. Faulk makes no sense for us at all. Maatta is the better defensive Dman and a LD.
which is what we need. And he's cheaper and locked up longer and probably just as good as an overall Dman.

Reactions: Peat

NHL

Sep 1, 2014
This is a joke right? Carolina doesn't need a #7 Defender (Schlemko), a 2nd/3rd line center (we've got that covered with Rask), and Faulk for Pacioretty isn't near the value we'd get for him traded on his own. Lastly, there's no way Carolina helps Pittsburgh's defense improve as a division rival. Frankly this proposal is embarrassing.
Pacioretty may be worth a bit more than Faulk...Maybe not a lot more, but more. (Not considering contract situation). Pacioretty makes the top 10 LW in the NHL

Last edited:

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Ill be honest.. As a non fan of all 3... This is well thought out... Carolina needs a center thats for sure... But... At the same time... I think Faulk likely could get a better one than brassard...

cspera777

Jul 6, 2018
To MTL :
Victor Rask
Olli Maatta

To CAR :
Derrick Brassard
Max Pacioretty
David Schlemko

To PIT :
Justin Faulk
Haydn Fleury

No thanks from Pittsburgh, Maatta and Faulk are a wash so we are basically trading Brassard straight up for Fleury, Brassard has more value than that.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
No as a Pens fan. Makes us worse next season.

Also... we've gotta stop including Brassard in deals to non-win now teams that aren't interested in resigning an expensive guy through his 30s, because for some strange reason they never seem to like the proposals.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No from Montreal. If Pacioretty moves a 1st needs to be included or a prospect with high upside. Both Maata and Rask are nice, but they will both be UFAs by the time the team competes again. Neither are close to be as good as Patch too.

Agreed. Someone knows what they are talking about.

Reactions: jfhabs

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
No thanks from Pittsburgh, Maatta and Faulk are a wash so we are basically trading Brassard straight up for Fleury, Brassard has more value than that.

I understand that people don’t watch the Canes, but this is just silly. One year of Brassard does not have more value than a 22 year old, 6’3”, 220 lbs D who played top-4 minutes last year (when Hanifin couldn’t cut it) and is cost controlled for 5 more years. Just say you don’t know anything about Fleury and move on.

Reactions: Tryamw

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I understand that people don’t watch the Canes, but this is just silly. One year of Brassard does not have more value than a 22 year old, 6’3”, 220 lbs D who played top-4 minutes last year (when Hanifin couldn’t cut it) and is cost controlled for 5 more years. Just say you don’t know anything about Fleury and move on.

Agreed. Brassard at a decent cap hit with 3-4 years left would though. Bonafide 2C > 3/4D all day.

Maatta is also grossly underrated everywhere on this board. We rag on him plenty due to his foot speed - but the kid is 23 years old with major playoff minutes... where else do you get that? He becomes 'available' from the Pens perspective because he's slow - throw him on any number of average skating NHL clubs and people would change their tune on the kid no doubt. I guarantee our management does not include him in any throw away or wash-type deal due to his age and existing pedigree.. we could have this discussion five seasons from now and the kid would still have tremendous value. He potentially has a decade+ left as a solid 3/4 defensemen....

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Fleury probably does hold more value because he is a good young D for cheap. But just not for the Pens.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
forgive me for not having the warmest sentiments for Canes players when their fans call players like Maatta and Brassard "piles of garbage" or say they're "not quality pieces".

Primetime8

Oct 10, 2014
Columbia, SC
forgive me for not having the warmest sentiments for Canes players when their fans call players like Maatta and Brassard "piles of garbage" or say they're "not quality pieces".

I see 0 posts where a Canes fan called Maatta garbage but ok. Just because fans of other teams come in and say that doesn't mean they are Canes fans - you can click on profiles and see the team they root for quite often

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

I don't see that. Personally I was pushing for Brassard to the Canes before Pittsburgh acquired him and I liked Maatta a lot as a prospect (haven't keyed in on him as a Penguin).

Reactions: MinJaBen

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
canes might get ****ed but it's not 2 players im interrested none the less for Montreal...

Ditto. Montreal needs futures coming in. Also not a fan of Rask as all with that contract and Montreal needs more mobility if they're bringing in another high-price D-man.

Don't see how this deal makes sense for Montreal.

domaug

Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
I see 0 posts where a Canes fan called Maatta garbage but ok. Just because fans of other teams come in and say that doesn't mean they are Canes fans - you can click on profiles and see the team they root for quite often
Why on Earth would Carolina want that pile of garbage for??????
it's one post, but that's what i saw in the first page of this thread so i didn't even have to go very far.

I'm also making the assumption that "go comets" is a Canes fan, judging by a quick read of their posts.

(no, "go comets" doesn't represent all Canes fans, it doesn't make my post incorrect though, technically)

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
it's one post, but that's what i saw in the first page of this thread so i didn't even have to go very far.

I'm also making the assumption that "go comets" is a Canes fan, judging by a quick read of their posts.

(no, "go comets" doesn't represent all Canes fans, it doesn't make my post incorrect though, technically)

Carolina isn't getting Maatta in the OPs deal, Montreal is. I'd consider calling Pacioretty and Brassard garbage worse, but they probably weren't talking about Maatta.

domaug

Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Carolina isn't getting Maatta in the OPs deal, Montreal is. I'd consider calling Pacioretty and Brassard garbage worse, but they probably weren't talking about Maatta.
i was mistaken. my apologies.

but still, i wouldn't call any of Patches or Brassard or whoever else "garbage". they can be bad fits for a team and not a need, but that doesn't make them garbage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad