Confirmed Trade: [MTL/BUF] Eric Staal (@50%) for 2021 3rd and 5th round picks

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I guarantee when the Habs miss the dance your gonna hear how Covid was to blame because of the games that got cancelled made their schedule unfair and the playoffs are only a gimmick this season, not to mention the refs are to blame for giving them covid, cuz that's their battle cry after every loss.
we have a guarantee here. refs gave them covid too. good post

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Idk

they have 6 games in hand on Vancouver
And 3 games in hand on Calgary

they also have 2 games in hand on everyone ahead of them which if they win those games puts them 1 point behind Edmonton and Winnipeg and 3 behind Toronto.... I think it’s a good gamble

And the teams behind aren't really in "good shape"

Reactions: Getz2noone

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I guarantee when the Habs miss the dance your gonna hear how Covid was to blame because of the games that got cancelled made their schedule unfair and the playoffs are only a gimmick this season, not to mention the refs are to blame for giving them covid, cuz that's their battle cry after every loss.
North is so bad Habs are pretty much guaranteed a playoff spot. non covid season I think they'd be on the outside looking in.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

Heh.

In my eyes, our team is nowhere near contention. Trips to the playoffs are futile, we are guaranteeing the team lands a lower pick and consequently, decreasing our odds of team success in the future. Organizationally, we've mismanaged countless prospects, dynamited relationships with beloved players, f***ed up at the draft repeatedly, and recently, gone Real Housewives on our cap space only to see roughly exactly the same results.

Our current D group is a disaster, and even worse - we're spending nearly $15 million on two goalies.

MB's latest hobby seems to be chasing players who'll be golfing, permanently, in short order. Wonder how that works out for us?

I'd recommend you take another lap in fantasy land, because the majority of logical Montreal fans are pretty fed up with the way our team has operated for the whole of this decade.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015

Who exactly is gonna catch Montreal? The flames who can’t even beat the Sens or the Nucks who have played a bunch more games? North playoff teams are already basically decided at this point.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
MTL is one of the last places I would've thought for Staal, unless some other C is moving. To recap;

- Staal has an expiring, 3.25M AAV contract

- is not good on the wing

- is not a good defensive Center

- has a sneaky good shot

- is ok on FO's

- is slow

- has good size, but isn't physical

- has(had?) an ability to get on the scoresheet

- a PP'er, not a PK'er

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
If fairness to Montreal being a contender or not. The north division is really wide open. Toronto might be the best team there but it's like any team could go on a hot run and be a final four team.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Staal added to stretch run by NYR in '16 led to the most invisible, ineffective period of his career.
Hope Habs make out better
They most likely wont overpay of a promising age 19 C and 2 2nd's ...

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Who exactly is gonna catch Montreal? The flames who can’t even beat the Sens or the Nucks who have played a bunch more games? North playoff teams are already basically decided at this point.
Yeah, when you look at the standings it's pretty unrealistic to see Vancouver or Calgary catching up at this point.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Wouldn't be my 1st or even 2nd choice. Eakin almost seems like a better fit from Buffalo, though he has an extra year that I might not want.

Ringo13

Jul 9, 2007
I'm curious, can you say how you rank the Divisions? personally I think the North is at best the 3rd
1. East.
2. North
3. West/Central
I believe that both the West and Central are extremely top heavy. 2 great teams and lots of terrible teams (in both). St Louis may turn out to be great which would make the north 3rd best. Right now, not so much. What I think gives the north the edge is we have 1 great, 3 good, 2 average, and only 1 terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad