Proposal: MTL and CHI

Status
Not open for further replies.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I'd do it, if we had a side deal to trade the 34th + Jets pick to move up 4-5 spots.

If Jets pick is 18th and it got us 14th.

If Jets pick is 32nd and it got us to 27th (as long as player we want/need is there).

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Habs fans scoffing at this are crazy. Barron loses waiver exemption this summer, they have no roster spots opening up from UFA's on their blue line, and he's not even their first call up with the way Mailloux has played. Nobody is going to offer a 2nd for him let alone Chicago's 34th OA.
Habs rolled all season with 3 goalies because they didnt wanna risk losing Primeau to waivers so im pretty sure Barron will be in Montreal all season unless he gets traded of course but he will play over Kovacevic and Mailloux,Reinbacher will remain in Laval no need to rush them they arent ready yet

Has for his value i think Barron took a step back this season but a 2nd is fair for him but we should keep him and hope he bounces back we have enough low picks

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Habs should keep Barron no reason to rush Mallioux or reinbacher unless they force the issue with their play. Savard has a year left and they have an abundance of lefty dmen to move to open space if needed.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Habs rolled all season with 3 goalies because they didnt wanna risk losing Primeau to waivers so im pretty sure Barron will be in Montreal all season unless he gets traded of course but he will play over Kovacevic and Mailloux,Reinbacher will remain in Laval no need to rush them they arent ready yet

Has for his value i think Barron took a step back this season but a 2nd is fair for him but we should keep him and hope he bounces back we have enough low picks
I don't get this point of view... a very high 2nd isn't a "low pick", it's a pretty damn high one. I mean, Barron was initially picked at #25, and I don't think his progress merits getting back a pick in anything like the same range, and that includes the first half of the 2nd.

That being said, I expect he'll end up getting the Primeau treatment if there's no great interest in him, (ie, hanging around as a spare in the NHL rather than risking waivers), but #34 would be a terrific return that Montreal would pretty much accept immediately, IMHO.

Reactions: malcb33

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Habs fans scoffing at this are crazy. Barron loses waiver exemption this summer, they have no roster spots opening up from UFA's on their blue line, and he's not even their first call up with the way Mailloux has played. Nobody is going to offer a 2nd for him let alone Chicago's 34th OA.

We need Barron more than we need a 2nd round pick, unless we really like a guy at 34.

Ideally, if he's traded, it's in a package for a young RD or RW which are our needs right now.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
We need Barron more than we need a 2nd round pick, unless we really like a guy at 34.

Ideally, if he's traded, it's in a package for a young RD or RW which are our needs right now.
you trade rd for rd because of need :huh:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
you trade rd for rd because of need :huh:

Barron+ for a better RD, yes.

We currently have no mid/long term NHL RD. Savard is likely gone by TDL and maybe Kovacevic too.

Reinbacher and Mailloux are looking good, but they are probably not NHL ready yet.

Our young D are mostly LDs: Guhle, Xhekaj, Struble, Harris, Hutson, Engstrom...

Ledge And Dairy

There is a massive difference here. Montreal views Primeau as their future starter. That is worth using a roster spot on. Hanging on to Barron to be your 3rd or 4th best RD down the line is foolish.

Even if Montreal trades a defenseman like Harris it will still probably be to make room for Reinbacher or Mailloux. Then the day before the season starts Barron will probably be placed on waivers with 100 other players and probably safely pasd through since rosters will be pretty much set by then.

Nobody is giving you a 2nd for Barron lol. His trade value is about a 5th right now which is why you just keep him and hope for improvement

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Nobody is giving you a 2nd for Barron lol. His trade value is about a 5th right now which is why you just keep him and hope for improvement
I want to say this is harsh, but looking for waiver-eligible players who couldn't stay on their current teams for whatever reason, and couldn't find any examples worth more than a 4th, so a 5th can't be too far off-base.

Ledge And Dairy

I want to say this is harsh, but looking for waiver-eligible players who couldn't stay on their current teams for whatever reason, and couldn't find any examples worth more than a 4th, so a 5th can't be too far off-base.
I'm also using a very recent example of Okhotiuk as a base. Similar caliber player traded for a 5th just a month ago and only 1 year older.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I'm also using a very recent example of Okhotiuk as a base. Similar caliber player traded for a 5th just a month ago and only 1 year older.
Good comparable. I figure that's his value in a year if Montreal grows weary of his lack of progress and he isn't getting into many games as a defensively suspect 8th D.
I suspect right now he'd be worth a tad more... but there's a lot of room between 34th and 5th round, and I'm guessing he'd be somewhere in the middle right now.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
I guess Chicago will like to speed up the rebuild a bit since they have Bebard.

Let's say CHI gets either of Celibrini or Demidov , probably end up with a other high end forward.
But you sure need defense in the game as well.

MTL : Barron
for
CHI : CHI 2nd rd pick 2024 (#34)

Barron is NHL ready and would be a decent add to CHI right side.
MTL can spare Barron with all the coming up prospect and gets a great pick.
I don't believe that the management team that had nothing to do with drafting Primeau , decided to keep him in the NHL on a three goalie rotation right up to the deadline rather than chance losing him to waivers are now willing to trade a 22 year old , big , smooth skating , right shot defenseman with a ton of upside that they specifically targeted for a second round pick . The only way Barron moves is in a bigger deal for a top six forward .

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Barron+ for a better RD, yes.

We currently have no mid/long term NHL RD. Savard is likely gone by TDL and maybe Kovacevic too.

Reinbacher and Mailloux are looking good, but they are probably not NHL ready yet.

Our young D are mostly LDs: Guhle, Xhekaj, Struble, Harris, Hutson, Engstrom...
then the + must be a better asset than barron.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Ok let's turn this around to put things in perspective.

Let's say CHI want a young RHD (24 and younger) ready to play next year behind Jones.

They will offer #34 for him.
Who do you think they can land with that pick ?

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Ok let's turn this around to put things in perspective.

Let's say CHI want a young RHD (24 and younger) ready to play next year behind Jones.

They will offer #34 for him.
Who do you think they can land with that pick ?
I just don’t see Chicago offering pick number 34 for Barron. They can add whoever they feel is the best pick for them at that spot in the draft.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I guess Chicago will like to speed up the rebuild a bit since they have Bebard.

Let's say CHI gets either of Celibrini or Demidov , probably end up with a other high end forward.
But you sure need defense in the game as well.

MTL : Barron
for
CHI : CHI 2nd rd pick 2024 (#34)

Barron is NHL ready and would be a decent add to CHI right side.
MTL can spare Barron with all the coming up prospect and gets a great pick.
Value is fair but thesis is off. Why does Montreal want to get younger? They already are so young.

Reactions: Lockin17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad