Proposal: MTL and CHI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
I guess Chicago will like to speed up the rebuild a bit since they have Bebard.

Let's say CHI gets either of Celibrini or Demidov , probably end up with a other high end forward.
But you sure need defense in the game as well.

MTL : Barron
for
CHI : CHI 2nd rd pick 2024 (#34)

Barron is NHL ready and would be a decent add to CHI right side.
MTL can spare Barron with all the coming up prospect and gets a great pick.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
No reason to trade Barron for that. As you said, he’s NHL ready and worst case scenario will run our 3rd pairing.

Montreal doesn’t need more picks either

Reactions: BLONG7 and Oryxo

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
No reason to trade Barron for that. As you said, he’s NHL ready and worst case scenario will run our 3rd pairing.

Montreal doesn’t need more picks either
Mailloux should make the team next year,, not much room for Barron.
Especially if they still want to pair Ghule with Matheson next year

Reactions: HabsQC

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
You don’t know that and if Barron does go it will be in a package for a top 6 forward, not for yet another draft pick

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
You don’t know that and if Barron does go it will be in a package for a top 6 forward, not for yet another draft pick
Well if Barron makes the NHL so is Mailloux,
Mailloux is better then Barron in Laval.

And you don't know that either... if Barron does go it will be in a package for a top 6 forward,

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I think Mailloux can be a 2nd pairing D but he's still a pretty horribly defender, there's no reason to start him in the NHL next year when he has glaring warts and Barron has to pass through waivers

Reactions: Oryxo

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Mailloux isn't going to be given anything due to non-hockey reasons. He'll probably play most of next year in the AHL as well to work on his defensive game and prove he can keep out of trouble. No sense in rushing him into the NHL.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Mailloux isn't going to be given anything due to non-hockey reasons. He'll probably play most of next year in the AHL as well to work on his defensive game and prove he can keep out of trouble. No sense in rushing him into the NHL.
I really don't think it has anything to do with non-hockey reasons, they wouldn't have signed him to his ELC and fought so hard for him if they thought it was an issue. He just doesn't play NHL level defence, so hammer that into him early next season and if he forces a call up, great

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I don't think Barron holds that much value.

Maybe Barron and Colorado's 2nd for 34th.

Reactions: Jared Dunn

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Let's say CHI gets either of Celibrini or Demidov , probably end up with a other high end forward.

for

I would do it if there is a player the team really really likes at 34.

Ledge And Dairy

Habs fans scoffing at this are crazy. Barron loses waiver exemption this summer, they have no roster spots opening up from UFA's on their blue line, and he's not even their first call up with the way Mailloux has played. Nobody is going to offer a 2nd for him let alone Chicago's 34th OA.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Habs fans scoffing at this are crazy. Barron loses waiver exemption this summer, they have no roster spots opening up from UFA's on their blue line, and he's not even their first call up with the way Mailloux has played. Nobody is going to offer a 2nd for him let alone Chicago's 34th OA.
I don't get it either, the guy has two highly ranked prospects passing him as we speak, and is about to become waiver fodder.... I expect next season he'll be given every chance to make the team, but if Montreal is in any way serious about being a more competitive team, he needs to step up.

I mean, I'm not ready to give up on him for just any random 5th round pick... but #34 is close to being a 1st rounder, and there's no way he still holds that kind of value. If he were playing in the AHL the way Reinbacher and Mailloux are playing, maybe I could see it, but by all reports he really isn't doing anything special, so #34 would be serious overpayment.

EDIT: clearing up an ambuguous point

Reactions: Bluenotes27

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Barron could be a decent add but I wouldn’t call him a “speeding up the rebuild” piece.
Without holding enough value to be worth #34 as it stands right now... I could see him being a great "speeding up the rebuild" piece - Chicago could give him all their developmental icetime for a RD, give him the 2nd PP and insulate him as much as possible, while still giving him NHL opportunities.

In Montreal, he'll soon have 2 younger, better RD getting that kind of treatment.

If Chicago drafts a D at #34, you have to figure it's minimum 2 years before he gets NHL ice time, and another season before he's getting much done, with Barron, he could be a regular PP member by the middle of next season (or, he could flame out, which limits his value, of course).

Reactions: malcb33

Ledge And Dairy

I don't get it either, the guy has two highly ranked prospects passing him as we speak, and is about to become waiver fodder.... I expect next season he'll be given every chance to make the team, but if Montreal is in any way serious about being a more competitive team, he needs to step up.

I mean, I'm not ready to give up on him for just any random 5th round pick... but #34 is close to being a 1st rounder, and there's no way he still holds that kind of value. If he were playing in the AHL the way Reinbacher and Mailloux are playing, maybe I could see it, but by all reports he really isn't doing anything special, so #34 would be serious overpayment.

EDIT: clearing up an ambuguous point
Exactly. It's one thing if the best offer is a late rounder but 34th OA is basically a late 1st for all intents and purposes. I agree on not giving up on him because having someone who can be called up or still tap into potential is always valuable but if we are being completely honest he will probably be placed on and pass through waivers next year.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida

for

Chicago says no.

Without holding enough value to be worth #34 as it stands right now... I could see him being a great "speeding up the rebuild" piece - Chicago could give him all their developmental icetime for a RD, give him the 2nd PP and insulate him as much as possible, while still giving him NHL opportunities.

In Montreal, he'll soon have 2 younger, better RD getting that kind of treatment.

If Chicago drafts a D at #34, you have to figure it's minimum 2 years before he gets NHL ice time, and another season before he's getting much done, with Barron, he could be a regular PP member by the middle of next season (or, he could flame out, which limits his value, of course).
He’s beating out Korchinski for the 2nd PP slot?

Reactions: Crow

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Why would Hawks trade a valuable pick (#34) for a guy who is set to turn 23 early next season and has struggled to nail down a permanent NHL job at this point?

The fact another organization would be looking to move on from him would also raise plenty of red flags

Hawks also have Korchinski in NHL and pretty good Del Mastro in AHL with regard to young offensive dmen (Also Wyatt Kaiser has pretty good offensive talent/potential for development)

Last edited:
Reactions: Crow

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
The Canadiens should get more than a 2nd-round pick if Barron is a "speed up the rebuild" guy (and I don't think he is at this time). Montreal should either package Barron in a trade, or use him in place of a player they do trade. Chicago should go after someone more established than Barron if they want to speed up their rebuild, however I think it would be premature for the Blackhawks to rush a rebuild.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
..... if we are being completely honest he will probably be placed on and pass through waivers next year.
I'd be surprised if he ended up on waivers, and even more surprised if he passed. He's got NHL level offense in him, already, after all, someone is always looking for that.

If not traded, I figure he's likely to make the team, and it's likely someone like Savard, Kovasevic or Harris will have gotten moved so there will be room on the backend.

None of this justifies a valuation of a 34th overall, though.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
The Canadiens should get more than a 2nd-round pick if Barron is a "speed up the rebuild" guy (and I don't think he is at this time). Montreal should either package Barron in a trade, or use him in place of a player they do trade. Chicago should go after someone more established than Barron if they want to speed up their rebuild, however I think it would be premature for the Blackhawks to rush a rebuild.
A 22 years old RHD is not going to hurt the rebuild process at all, in fact that's going to help them out.
I am pretty sure CHI doesn't want a 5 years rebuild with Bedard on their lineup.
So by speeding up the rebuild i am talking like what the Habs are doing, trading picks for guys that needs fresh start, like Dach and Newhook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad