MTL 95-98 Fact or Fiction?

smon

Sep 12, 2008

Houle spent his first few seasons getting consistently fleeced in every deal. But later he (inadvertently probably) did draft Markov and Ryder. And he made an excellent trade for Sheldon Souray.

I'd blame Ronald Corey anyway - he pulled Houle out of the beer sales racket with zero management experience. Houle himself seems like a good guy, read a few articles where he talks about how he was disappointed to fail... I mean when he was fired, he cried because he just wanted to do so well for the team. Just not suited at all for the position. And let's not forget head coach Mario Tremblay straight from the radio.

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
Corey was good at PR and he bought the legends back, but he was a terrible hockey guy. Guys kept getting run out of town for basically not being Jean Beliveau.

Chelios (though he may have slept with Corey's wife, from what I heard), Damphousse, Keane, Roy, on and on and on.

smon

Sep 12, 2008
Corey was good at PR and he bought the legends back, but he was a terrible hockey guy. Guys kept getting run out of town for basically not being Jean Beliveau.

Chelios (though he may have slept with Corey's wife, from what I heard), Damphousse, Keane, Roy, on and on and on.

Damphousse? What's the story there?

Carbonneau was probably one of the most ridiculous of the bunch. Flip off the media and you're done... haha, we have players flipping off fans in the stands these days.

Turgeon's departure was funny too because Savard absolutely fleeced the Islanders to get him. And then Houle and Corey suddenly realized that Turgeon wasn't exactly the greatest leader in the span of a season.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
I read somewhere a few years back that MTL started trading away their core players like Patrick Roy, John LeClair, Eric Desjardins, Kirk Muller, Matt Schnieder, then Pierre Turgeon because they wanted top draft choices, ie. Roberto Luongo and Vincent Lecavalier. Any truth to this?

Roy -> poorly handled situation by Habs management.
Leclair + Desjardins -> attempt to get a highly skilled player in Mark Recchi. Hardly could be considered a tanking move.
Pierre Turgeon -> he was a private guy who could not support well being a high profile captain.
Muller + Schneider -> Turgeon + Malakhov hardly a tanking move.

penaltykiller

Feb 19, 2007
province of quebec
It is a well known conspiracy theory that Houle was hired to be Corey's puppet. Also, the team was not doing so well financially back then.

It sucks for Houle to be known as " the worst gm ever" by fans of thus generation. By all accounts, he seems like a great person and a caring friend (unlike Mike Milbury who can't really redeem himself)

As others have said before : coach/gm without any experience + poor asset management + poor drafting = disaster.

I would not even hire somebody who has never coached before for a major junior team let alone some NHL team playing in a big market.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
Corey hiring Reggie Houle during a tough time, made it even worse...boy, those were rough times...:help:

Corey hired "peanut" because he was a company man and Corey knew he'd do what he was asked to

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
The Chelios trade was a whole different animal.
Chris cooked his own goose with the media and especially with his abusing of the Montreal nightlife.

I believe chelios was sent packing cuz he "packed" someones wife

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
Damphousse? What's the story there?

I don't have any inside information on the Damphousse trade, but I do remember his production went down steadily, and he was coming up on FA, so we traded him and told him we would sign him back in the summer. He said he owed it to the Sharks to listen to their offer, and signed with them. The reason his production went down was because he was asked to take a more defensive role, something like Pleks. Once he joined the Sharks, his production went up again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad