MTL 95-98 Fact or Fiction?

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
I read somewhere a few years back that MTL started trading away their core players like Patrick Roy, John LeClair, Eric Desjardins, Kirk Muller, Matt Schnieder, then Pierre Turgeon because they wanted top draft choices, ie. Roberto Luongo and Vincent Lecavalier. Any truth to this?

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
It was about money, and stupidity in Roy's case.

The Canadian dollar was around .60 USD IIRC and 'no cap' teams like NYR were driving salaries up.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
The team back then had to stick to a lower payroll.

Montreal's payroll was still 4th in the league in that era. It was the really late 90s and early 2000s where payrolls started to skyrocket, and the Canadiens didn't keep up at all with the increase. It took Gillette to acquire the team to boost payroll further.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
It was about money, and stupidity in Roy's case.

The Canadian dollar was around .60 USD IIRC and 'no cap' teams like NYR were driving salaries up.

Not sure what Roy was 'stupid' about. He did what he had to do, and made the team pay for their 'stupidity'.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Corey was the author of some of the worst years in the team's history. I despised that man.

He did screw things up at the end of his tenure, but he did great with the arena and did marvelous after taking over as prez when the team was losing ground to the Merdiques in the early 80's. He brought back all the legends to the Forum (they had left in not so good terms with the previous presidency), he brought in Serge Savard, who was marvelous early on. Never forget that contrary to today or even Pollock for most of his tenure, Savard and Corey had to deal with the Merdiques factor. Hockey became bigger than just hockey in this province.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I think that's what he was implying

I'm pretty sure he meant, "in the case of Roy."

AW20Y.gif

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
I read somewhere a few years back that MTL started trading away their core players like Patrick Roy, John LeClair, Eric Desjardins, Kirk Muller, Matt Schnieder, then Pierre Turgeon because they wanted top draft choices, ie. Roberto Luongo and Vincent Lecavalier. Any truth to this?

Have a look at the trades themselves and you'll see that there weren't high picks returned in those trades.

Just poor, poor asset management. Add in Skrudland, Keane, Carbo etc etc.

YYZviaYUL

Aug 9, 2014
Not sure what Roy was 'stupid' about. He did what he had to do, and made the team pay for their 'stupidity'.

If I were Ronald Corey, I would have fired Bergeron right then and there, and let Roy coach the rest of the game.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
The could've been dynasty of the 90's kills me. Started with the Chelios trade.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

One word to explain the mess team was in back then....Houle! The guy was an idiot

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

And I'm reading at the moment that you're severely overrating Rejean Houle's acumen.

Tacos

Wheeeee
Feb 26, 2012
Such dark days to be a Habs fan, nothing but one cluster-**** after another in trades.

As the team progressed, one of the few bright spots was Koivu until injuries.

But as stated, terrible trading and piss poor drafting resulted in that mess.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
The combination of Houle, Tremblay and Corey was a recipe for destruction. To begin, Roy was not too happy with the hiring of Tremblay. Tremblay's mission was to show Roy who was the boss, the rest is history. In Turgeon's case, well, the season he was traded, he was centering our 4th line. Again, Genius Tremblay.

As for John Leclair & Desjardins, that was a panic move from Savard. Although I was happy with acquisition of Recchi, man, what an overpayment.

Anyhow, I see these days as the dark days of Habs history, set our franchise back for many years. I don't want to revisit them ever again.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
the gomez trade was a panic move by gainey. hope we don't trade galchenyuk, gallagher, subban, price or pacioretty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad