News Article: MSG gets 10 year permit

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
If you are a fan of an opposing team please feel free to join the discussion regarding this subject. With that being said... if you come here to troll our fan base you will swiftly receive an infraction and find yourself thread banned.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Few things....

-Ummm MSG was just renovated, is it really practical or possible that in a decade all that money will be wasted as the team needs a new building OR would they just move the current garden somewhere?

-Shouldn't the issue of improving Penn Station capacity have been settled before renovations? If Penn Station needed more space, WHY approve the renovations.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Few things....

-Ummm MSG was just renovated, is it really practical or possible that in a decade all that money will be wasted as the team needs a new building OR would they just move the current garden somewhere?

-Shouldn't the issue of improving Penn Station capacity have been settled before renovations? If Penn Station needed more space, WHY approve the renovations.

10 years is a long time. The renovations will be easily paid for by then. People bring that up, but I think it's a non-issue.

And MSG went ahead with the renovations because the negotiations on fixing the Penn Station issue fell apart.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
If Penn Station needed more space, WHY approve the renovations.

The NYC building department issues permits based only on the building code / fire code / electric code and appropriate licensed engineers/electrician stamps. They will not make a value judgement on if the improvements will be used for 40 years or 1 year, that's up to the applicant. Another arm of the government can seize the property under eminent domain regardless of renovation status, it all becomes political at that point.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The NYC building department issues permits based only on the building code / fire code / electric code and appropriate licensed engineers/electrician stamps. They will not make a value judgement on if the improvements will be used for 40 years or 1 year, that's up to the applicant. Another arm of the government can seize the property under eminent domain regardless of renovation status, it all becomes political at that point.

Political and financial. When you seize property under eminent domain, it isn't free. You owe the property owner compensation. As far as I understand it, you're also responsible for finding the owner a site with similar features. Eminent domain is an EXTREMELY expensive proposition for NYC in this situation.

(My response is more for others benefit than for yours, I think)

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Political and financial. When you seize property under eminent domain, it isn't free. You owe the property owner compensation. As far as I understand it, you're also responsible for finding the owner a site with similar features. Eminent domain is an EXTREMELY expensive proposition for NYC in this situation.

(My response is more for others benefit than for yours, I think)

My brother is a lawyer and told me that eminent domain in NY is fairly easy relative to the rest of the country. Easy as in easy for the government to successfully take the land. We were at a Mets game, parked out near the auto repair shops when there was talk about the city taking the land through eminent domain. He had just finished studying the concept in one of his classes.

However, my guess is MSG has A LOT more resources to fight this if it ever came to it, then the auto repair shop owners. If the city REALLY tried to take the arena, it would be tied up in court for years, so they would likely work something out. Such as giving them VERY favorable terms for the post office.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
My brother is a lawyer and told me that eminent domain in NY is fairly easy relative to the rest of the country. Easy as in easy for the government to successfully take the land. We were at a Mets game, parked out near the auto repair shops when there was talk about the city taking the land through eminent domain. He had just finished studying the concept in one of his classes.

However, my guess is MSG has A LOT more resources to fight this if it ever came to it, then the auto repair shop owners. If the city REALLY tried to take the arena, it would be tied up in court for years, so they would likely work something out. Such as giving them VERY favorable terms for the post office.

Pretty sure the Post Office is on Federal land and the building is already on its way to becoming the Amtrak station (plus retail space). The original idea was to build a new MSG behind the post office.

In any case, I'd almost be willing to bet that the next MSG will be near what is currently the Jacob Javits center--there's been talk about tearing down the current building to build a larger venue and mention of the possibility of MSG going to the area too. The far west side is growing and subway service (almost) already exists

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00