News Article: MSG gets 10 year permit

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
They couldn't have brought this crap up before MSG did a massive renovation?

PBarrz

Feb 26, 2013
Boston, MA
This is kind of ridiculous... They want to force MSG to move (to where?) so they can make penn station above ground? Why is that so important? And that'd seriously be a huge project (destroying MSG, and the current station, then building a new one) I just don't see the point? I don't live in NYC, but I can't imagine it actually being a convenience for anybody involved.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's a New York City train station. It's supposed to have hobos, rats, no air conditioning, and weird smells. I call that character.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Penn Station is terrible and it sucks that one of the main ways into the city is cramped and unimpressive. That said, this should've been discussed before Dolan started the renovation process. If they wanted MSG to move, then they should've been more supportive of the Farley Post Office plans.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
If they actually forced us out, I think Dolan would rather the team just play in Nassau than erect another building in Manhattan just to spite them (unless it's damn near completely publicly funded, which won't happen).

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Ya, not going to happen. city council can vote 100-0 all they like. The vote into something that's happening 10 years down the line is subject to change for the next 10 years. If America has thought the world one thing, it's that the corporations always win. Besides, it's MSG, and not a lemonade stand. One does not simply displace something with so much value, history, and NYC in it.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
So they want to fix a mistake made half a century ago by making an equally big mistake by demolishing the worlds most famous arena, which is currently being renovated to one of the most modern sport facilities in the world? :loony:

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
A 10-year renewal makes sense. A perpetual lease doesn't. The city reserves the right to evaluate the site years down the line and determine if it still makes sense for an entertainment center to be located on top of a major transportation hub. Capacity and access change over time.

That said, I don't see MSG moving for a long long time. The city might claim eminent domain but they're going to have a hard time getting around the 5th Amendment Takings Clause. Can you imagine what the "just compensation" would be? It would make Bill Gates sweat. It might even be cheaper for NYC to move Penn Station than it would be to give Dolan fair value of the building and a new plot of land in the heart of Manhattan. I think the city is just getting their ducks in a row so that they can revoke the tax breaks MSG is currently getting.

Last edited:

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
So they want to fix a mistake made half a century ago by making an equally big mistake by demolishing the worlds most famous arena, which is currently being renovated to one of the most modern sport facilities in the world? :loony:

"World's most famous arena"... not quite. I see the marketing ploy is working though.

Also, the city doesn't give a damn how much money Dolan spent renovating the place. However, it's a good indication that Dolan did his homework and knows he can't be evicted anytime soon.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
How about instead of Penn Station, they work on making the ****ing subways not suck?

Yes yes yes. I've been all over Europe. Nowhere have I seen subways as dirty and as ugly as in NY.

Anyway, why didn't they bring this up before renovations started? So dumb.

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
Anyway, why didn't they bring this up before renovations started? So dumb.

What do you mean? 5 years before their 50-year lease expired, Dolan backed out of the Moynihan Station project and decided instead to renovate the building at the current location. He then applied for a perpetual lease extension. This was back in 2008.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
What do you mean? 5 years before their 50-year lease expired, Dolan backed out of the Moynihan Station project and decided instead to renovate the building at the current location. He then applied for a perpetual lease extension. This was back in 2008.

Didn't know that. So it seems like Dolan has an unlimited supply of $$$ then.

lhg39

Manny Malhotra Fan
Dec 28, 2006
NJ
They will renew the lease again down the road. This just allows the city to keep their options open. The city gains nothing by giving Dolan a perpetual lease.

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
And why can't the renovations of a train station be approved while the Garden exists? We don't have structural engineers capable of pulling off such a daunting feat?:shakehead

Kris Chreider

Pass Off The Pads
Aug 17, 2012
NYC/Minneapolis
We can send people to outer space......for fun..... and we can't renovate an UNDERGROUND train station?

The subways are ****. Fix those first, get the wasted hobos out. I've given out maybe 1, 2 thousand in spare change.

OT: MSG is one of the ugliest buildings I've ever seen. Sad, but true. It's an architect's nightmare. I wish we could do something about that, too. Maybe give us a new arena?:naughty:

Clowes Line

Cally's Chicken Parm
Aug 11, 2010
New Yawk
www.outsidethegarden.com
Can someone with knowledge of the situation tell me, what are the odds that they actually have to move? Building a new MSG would take a lot of time and money to do, the latter of which Dolan wouldn't be paying for (I think?), meaning it'd come out of the taxpayers' wallets and be subsidized by the city of New York.

Also, as many have stated, they just made massive renovations that cost hundreds of millions of dollars.

I don't see how they can be forced out, I can't see this actually happening in ten years.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Does the City of New York want to pay for a new MSG? Dolan spent $1B to renovate the building and now the politicans want him to move. You find me the land in mid-town Manhattan and you pay for the entire project.

TonyTheGr8

Window shut..for now
Aug 8, 2007
Morris County, NJ
I'm confused. They (meaning the Garden) have been trying to get a new building built over by the old Post Office for a while, if I remember correctly. As far back as 1996 is when I first remember hearing about it. And they've been shot down FOREVER. Now, after Dolan finally says, "Screw it, we'll just spend a billion dollars and renovate where we are", the city decides, "We're going to move you"? To where they've been trying to get to for at least 17 years?? I don't usually side with Dolan, but if I was him, I'd be pissed. And I'd tell them, "You want us to move? YOU pay for a new building..IN FULL!"

Am I off here? Does anyone else agree with me?

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
Does the City of New York want to pay for a new MSG? Dolan spent $1B to renovate the building and now the politicans want him to move. You find me the land in mid-town Manhattan and you pay for the entire project.

More like politicians wanted him to move BEFORE renovations but Dolan thumbed his nose at them when things went sour and opted to renovate the building without any assurance that the lease would be extended.

You are right that the cost incurred by the city to impliment eminent domain would be astronomical. In part due to the renovations. Dolan and his team of lawyers know what they're doing.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad