Speculation: Mrazek

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
He’s a No. 1, and if Waddell doesn’t bring him back and pay him like one with corresponding term, he’ll get it from the Panthers or the Islanders. Oilers have an outside chance. IMO he’s the clear cut 3rd best ufa goalie with injury-prone Varlamov on the downside of his career.

Mrazek is not a true #1 goalie, and if somebody wants to pay him like one the Canes need to wave goodbye. Committing long-term big money to this guy is asking for trouble. At his best he's a 1B who can get hot for a few months. At his worst, he's as bad as Scott Darling.

One decent (but not great) year where he played 40 games is not proof of him being a #1 goalie. If anything it's proof the Canes don't view him that way, if they did they would've given him a heavier workload.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Mrazek lacks sound fundamentals at the position and is vastly inconsistent, moreso than most other backups/journeymans. His peaks are very high and his valleys are very low. I can't see him getting any long-term financially stable deal. He's just too much of a wildcard.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Mrazek is not a true #1 goalie, and if somebody wants to pay him like one the Canes need to wave goodbye. Committing long-term big money to this guy is asking for trouble. At his best he's a 1B who can get hot for a few months. At his worst, he's as bad as Scott Darling.

One decent (but not great) year where he played 40 games is not proof of him being a #1 goalie. If anything it's proof the Canes don't view him that way, if they did they would've given him a heavier workload.

At his best Mrazek shut down Washington in 2 straight elimination games - including Game 7 double overtime - against the defending Cup champions.

At his worst Mrazek is not as bad Scott Darling. Scott Darling was a mental dumpster fire. Mrazek at least gave the Canes a chance to win every night.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Mrazek lacks sound fundamentals at the position and is vastly inconsistent, moreso than most other backups/journeymans. His peaks are very high and his valleys are very low. I can't see him getting any long-term financially stable deal. He's just too much of a wildcard.

This does not describe Mrazek's year with the Canes at all. Mrazek steadily improved after the entire Canes team had a terrible start to the year. From February on Mrazek had a 0.930+ SV% and was great nearly every night up until his injury in Round 2 of the Playoffs.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
This does not describe Mrazek's year with the Canes at all. Mrazek steadily improved after the entire Canes team had a terrible start to the year. From February on Mrazek had a 0.930+ SV% and was great nearly every night up until his injury in Round 2 of the Playoffs.

Like I said he has some high peaks in play, but based on his history, you can't expect him to repeat that performance next year. What would the Canes be willing to offer him?

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC

Agreed. I thought once he came back form his injury in December he played well and kept improving all year and gave us a chance to win most every night.

But he's also not quite in that established starter territory, so that should limit the term on any deal he gets. Makes sense for him to see if he can get paid like a #1, but I don't think anyone's going to give him that kind of deal. I also don't see him leaving the Canes for any 1B situation when he's in line to lead the platoon here. I think as the goalie market shakes out he'll end up back with the Canes on a 3-year deal in the $3.5-4m range.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

Was that improvement, or just another peak? You could've said the same thing about him for a two month period in 15-16 where he was over .94. Then came the last 2 months of that season where he was .886 and got pulled 4 times in 14 starts.

Despite losing the #1 job during that high peak and then crash and burn season, he demanded $5M a season and was reportedly "less than tactful" in responding to the team not getting rid of Jimmy Howard.

I'll bet he's in a similar spot now. Looking to cash in after an inconsistent season with a huge peak. Lucky for him, it was to end the year. Whatever GM caves on big money or term is going to sorely regret it.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012

At his best Mrazek shut down Washington in 2 straight elimination games - including Game 7 double overtime - against the defending Cup champions.

At his worst Mrazek is not as bad Scott Darling. Scott Darling was a mental dumpster fire. Mrazek at least gave the Canes a chance to win every night.

You're looking at one season, I'm looking at his career as a whole.

Mrazek's long-term history suggests he needs to be in a 50/50 split with a veteran mentor type. He has ridiculous upside and can make incredible saves that most goalies can't, but he's a gambler and that comes with a significant downside.

Last edited:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
He either re-signs in Carolina on a 2-3 year deal with around a $4 mil AAV or overplays his hand into another one year, prove it deal, imo. There are only so many opportunities for 1A money this go around of the goalie carousel. Edmonton. the other team he's been linked to, can't afford to spend $8.5 mil or more with the holes it has elsewhere on the roster.

Carolina can turn to Varlamov or even Lehner, if Dundon is feeling adventurous.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

He's a guy that when healthy can give you 55 games imo. That's not a 1B, but it's not a true #1 either. I'd take him back in Raleigh in a 2-3 year moderate aav (Darling type money?) to hold the fort as Ned and Kochetkov develop any day. If he's asking for a 5+ year deal at north of 5? No chance

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
He either re-signs in Carolina on a 2-3 year deal with around a $4 mil AAV or overplays his hand into another one year, prove it deal, imo. There are only so many opportunities for 1A money the go around of the goalie carousel. Edmonton. the other team he's been linked to, can't afford to spend $8.5 mil or more with the holes it has elsewhere on the roster.

Agree. I wouldn't want to see Carolina commit to any more than 2-3 years. By that time Ned will be ready, if not sooner and they have Kochetkov down the road.
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/359578/pyotr-kochetkov

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Obligatory "not sure if serious"

I'm with him on all of those except Talbot.

With McElhinney it depends on the situation but for the Canes I'd rather have 2 years of Mac bridging us to Ned as the starter than 4-5 years of Mrazek at almost any price. If you were a team that weren't looking at having a goalie for the next decade (which Ned is, IMO) Mrazek would be worth the risk for 4-5 years.

The other guys are going to be seeking an even bigger payday and more term than Mrazek and Talbot is very meh.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Well if im correct Talbot has like a 89% winning streak on Saturdays, or maybe it was Thursdays I can't remember though, it was before last season though

Talbot has also allowed the most goals on the first or second shot in a season.

He’s such a momentum killer when you know 25 to 30 percent of games a goal is going in on the first two shots.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
If the Canes can get him for 2 to 2.5 a year I'm for it, any higher than that he can walk.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He either re-signs in Carolina on a 2-3 year deal with around a $4 mil AAV or overplays his hand into another one year, prove it deal, imo. There are only so many opportunities for 1A money this go around of the goalie carousel. Edmonton. the other team he's been linked to, can't afford to spend $8.5 mil or more with the holes it has elsewhere on the roster.

That's just too risky, IMO. I think you might be better off letting him walk if that's what it's gonna take.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Hurricanes fans in here crapping on Mrazek for wanting to cash in on his show-me 1-yr deal right after coaching leaned on him to get Carolina into the playoffs for the first time in eons, helped topple the defending champions and set the tone vs. the Isles by stealing Game 1 with a shutout despite his teammates being outplayed.

Adorbs.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
Hurricanes fans in here crapping on Mrazek for wanting to cash in on his show-me 1-yr deal right after coaching leaned on him to get Carolina into the playoffs for the first time in eons, helped topple the defending champions and set the tone vs. the Isles by stealing Game 1 with a shutout despite his teammates being outplayed.

Adorbs.
No CAR fan's "crapping" on Mrazek. We were wishing that they re-sign him, just not to such a long term deal. If you were a CAR fan, you'd feel a little gun shy after Darling's 4 year deal. Not to mention years of awful luck with goaltending struggles. That said, Petr was a fan fav, and would be welcomed back here with fervor if it could be worked out. It's been said our GM is in touch with him almost daily, so there's hope.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
With Ned and Kotchetkov things are going to be crowded in net within a few seasons. The Canes would be wise to really only go with a 2-3 year deal for a starter this year before the handoff to the much cheaper, younger options that project to be very good goalies in the league.

Mrazek has earned his shot at starter. He locked it down during the stretch run to the playoffs and is a big reason why we had the success we did. But he is going to want term that I'm not sure I'm comfortable giving, given our pipeline.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012

Adorbs.

Obviously, you have some sort of emotional attachment to Mrazek that is making you upset here. But the facts are, he's been very up-and-down throughout his career. It's not "crapping" on him to point that out, nor is it "crapping" on him to not want the team to throw a ton of money and years at him when the goalie of the future is close to being ready for the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad