Speculation: Mrazek

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Feel bad for GM's trying to evaluate Mrazek. He's a total wild card.

He’s a No. 1, and if Waddell doesn’t bring him back and pay him like one with corresponding term, he’ll get it from the Panthers or the Islanders. Oilers have an outside chance. IMO he’s the clear cut 3rd best ufa goalie with injury-prone Varlamov on the downside of his career.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Hopefully not Edmonton. I’m not sold on him. Still see him as a wildcard. I’d rather Smith on a 1 year or try for Lehner

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Mrazek is just 5 months older than Lehner, though with more playoff experience. And what’s this about Smith? Cmon now!

Smith has been a rumoured addition already as a stop gap and his former coach Tippett likely wouldn’t mind.

Lehner I feel is a superior and safer bet as a starter

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Smith has been a rumoured addition already as a stop gap and his former coach Tippett likely wouldn’t mind.

Lehner I feel is a superior and safer bet as a starter

We’ll just have to wait and see if Lehner turns back into the pumpkin that wasn’t insulated by Trotz.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Please hockey God, O holy one, persuade him to come to Edmonton. This is the UFA I want the most. Mrazek is a young goalie at 27 years old, that has had solid numbers his whole NHL career, and was the backbone for Carolina that made it to the conference finals. If Mrazek and McLeehnay sign elsewhere, then I guess a 1 year deal with Mike Smith wouldn't hurt. He could maybe teach Koskinen a few things.
But Mrazek should be Edmonton's main target, and according to multiple sources, that sounds like the case

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
probably have to wait until bobrovsky and lehner situations clear before his phone lights up .

Reactions: BHD

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Someone will overpay him and be sorry about it later. I'm guessing the flames.....

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Please hockey God, O holy one, persuade him to come to Edmonton. This is the UFA I want the most. Mrazek is a young goalie at 27 years old, that has had solid numbers his whole NHL career, and was the backbone for Carolina that made it to the conference finals. If Mrazek and McLeehnay sign elsewhere, then I guess a 1 year deal with Mike Smith wouldn't hurt. He could maybe teach Koskinen a few things.
But Mrazek should be Edmonton's main target, and according to multiple sources, that sounds like the case

I doubt Holland has any interest whatsoever in Mrazek

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I still have a hunch that he'll re-sign with CAR prior to or on 7/1. The CAR braintrust did not trade his rights for extra picks to EDM during the draft. That, with the way that CAR seems to now value picks, and the fact that Waddell said he's talking to Mrazek's camp daily makes me think there's a strong desire and strong possibility for both team and player to hammer out a deal.

But who knows, $$$ talks and he'll probably get more offered to him on the open market, not to mention more term, than CAR is willing to pay.

Reactions: DaveG

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
He’s a No. 1, and if Waddell doesn’t bring him back and pay him like one with corresponding term, he’ll get it from the Panthers or the Islanders. Oilers have an outside chance. IMO he’s the clear cut 3rd best ufa goalie with injury-prone Varlamov on the downside of his career.

Bobrovsky
Lehner
Varlamov
Talbot
McElhinney

Mrazek

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Please hockey God, O holy one, persuade him to come to Edmonton. This is the UFA I want the most. Mrazek is a young goalie at 27 years old, that has had solid numbers his whole NHL career,

Be careful what you wish for. While Mrazek's numbers look "solid" when averaged, they're built from a career performance that has been wildly streaky and inconsistent. He's still yet to put up a full season where he is at least somewhat consistently decent the whole way through. Even this past season, he didn't really get going until the 2nd half of the season (.894 from October to January, .938 from February to April).

If I'm a GM needing a goalie, I only want Mrazek if he's going to be in a 1A/1B platoon competing with another goalie for starts. That seems to be where he thrives. In situations where he's relied upon as the true #1 he eventually falters:

15-16: He and Howard platoon to start the year. Howard puts up two consecutive stinker starts around Christmas, while Mrazek heats up. Mrazek goes on a tear through January and Howard gets only 2nd of back to backs, sometimes with 2 weeks between starts and puts up a losing streak. As this goes on, Mrazek's look at more as the legit starter and no longer goalie of the future. All of a sudden, by mid February he drops hard and is garbage the rest of the season. By mid March, the Wings have gone back to Howard as #1.

16-17: Despite his finish to the previous season, he's the starter to begin this one. He struggles early, and by early November, Howard is back to #1. Eventually, Howard goes down with a couple injuries and is gone long term from late December to early March making the net pretty much 100% Mrazek's. Mrazek is pretty terrible with Howard out and even loses the staring job to Jared Coreau for a little bit. Once Howard returns, they alternate starts for the last month of the season and Mrazek's play improves a bit.

17-18: After being exposed in the expansion draft, Mrazek becomes a lame duck #2 to Howard, and is slow to get going while he barely starts. Howard struggles in November and then again in mid January. Mrazek finally gets more work at that point and puts together two consecutive shutouts. He plays well enough to garner interest from the Flyers. When he gets to Philly, it's declared the net is his. He wins his first 3 starts for them, then he's GARBAGE for the rest of the season.

18-19: He really didn't get going until both he and McElhinney were healthy in the 2nd half of the season and they started to platoon for a bit.

I predict that if Mrazek ends up somewhere where he doesn't have a competent #1B breathing down his neck, that team will regret that signing pretty quick.

Reactions: TFHockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad