Speculation: Mrazek to Toronto makes sense

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Mrazek only makes sense to Toronto if he's planning a vacation there this summer. It's a cool city with lots of fun stuff to do. As for playing for their NHL squad, the Toronto Maple Leafs? No, that does not make any sense. They have plenty of goalies who can compete for the backup role and Mrazek is nowhere near good enough to compete for the starting role. McBackup put up outstanding numbers in his games this year and that didn't make an ounce of difference in how many starts Andersen had.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
No, it really doesn't.

Andersen had a playoff to forget, after shining in the regular season. But they'll stick with him. And McElhinney or however he spells it, was decent as a backup.

Plus they've got Sparks lighting it up in the AHL.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Petr Mrazek.

Babcock connection.

We give up a ton of shots and Mrazek is the type who does better with more shots vs less.

Gives Freddy a breather.

Would be arguably the best team Mrazek’s played on.

Good playoff numbers.

He could rebuild his value.

Price could be cheap.

Connects the dots for me...

LMAO. Why would Toronto want to change their Goalie situation? Andersen is one of the better Goalies in the league, and his backup was great last year.

Noooooooooo thx

Last edited:

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
If I'm Mrazek, I'm looking for a place that I can get a workload to showcase myself back into a starting role. The team that has a goalie who has the 2nd most starts in the last 2 years among all active goaltenders is probably one of the very last places I choose

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
The Babcock connection isn't as great with most Detroit players as what is discussed on here at times. Like how Filppula flat out rejected playing for him again. Now Mrazek is in danger of not having a NHL job at all so perhaps he would welcome any chance. But there are not many guys outside of Glendening that are active players and have a good relationship with Babcock in Detroit. They spent the summer he left giving each other gag-gifts making fun of Babcock all over twitter.

The "Babcock connection" could be a negative going the other way too. As in Babcocks opinion of Mrazek.

If the alleged "work ethic"/"attitude"/etc. issues with Mrazek are indeed true, Babcock is either aware of them from his tenure as Petr's coach, or has been made aware of it from some of his former colleagues in Detroit like Holland, Blashill, Bedard, etc. etc.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
image.jpg

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Why? Leafs have a perfectly capable backup who knows and accepts what his role is. A backup. Nothing more, nothing less. He knows its Freddy's net, and he knows he ain't there to steal starts.

I'm not so certain Mrazek would accept that role.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Both are young and upcoming teams as are a few others. Having a pissing match over who is better now won’t be at all productive will it? Why bother

Much is a stretch but just by points wise slightly better is apt.

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
No, it doesn't. Mrazek doesn't have what it takes to deal with Toronto media/pressure. Not even as a backup.
He'll be lucky to be employed as a backup for Arizona or something.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Petr Mrazek.

Babcock connection.

We give up a ton of shots and Mrazek is the type who does better with more shots vs less.

Gives Freddy a breather.

Would be arguably the best team Mrazek’s played on.

Good playoff numbers.

He could rebuild his value.

Price could be cheap.

Connects the dots for me...

torontos backup is better then Petr Mrazek...no point in this

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Mrazek is better than Jimmy Howard.
Which isn't saying much.
But Mrazek is what? A year older than Howard was when he began his NHL career?

Mrazek needs to chill out a bit in goal.
But that's hard to do when you're a youngish goalie on shithole teams with shithole coaches and shithole defenses.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Send him to Buffalo for Lehner + 3rd?

Botts, is that you? Did not have you pegged as a Nucks fan. You should know I'm not Ron Hextall.

I mean, Lehner's a headcase but I'll gladly recoup the 3rd we paid for Mrazek for his RFA rights. You know the Flyers aren't even going to tender him an offer, right?

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Botts, is that you? Did not have you pegged as a Nucks fan. You should know I'm not Ron Hextall.

I mean, Lehner's a headcase but I'll gladly recoup the 3rd we paid for Mrazek for his RFA rights. You know the Flyers aren't even going to tender him an offer, right?

Just shove him in the minors. Or put him on waivers first, rather.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
McBackup really sucks and freddie choked yet again.

I'm all for Mrazek

Umm....wrong? McElhenny as a backup went 11-5 and posted a .934 save%...Mrazek was 8-7 with Detroit and 6-6 with Philly with an .891 save%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad