Speculation: Mrazek to Toronto makes sense

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
Petr Mrazek.

Babcock connection.

We give up a ton of shots and Mrazek is the type who does better with more shots vs less.

Gives Freddy a breather.

Would be arguably the best team Mrazek’s played on.

Good playoff numbers.

He could rebuild his value.

Price could be cheap.

Connects the dots for me...

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
McBackup is the perfect back up for now and Sparks just won best goalie in the AHL this year. Also Calvin Pickard in the mix.

Leafs aren't worried about goalie.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Goaltending is the last thing the leafs need to think about. A center to replace Bozak and definitely making a couple changes to the blue line will be the focus..........

Last edited:
Reactions: Mork

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Leafs have 2/3 capable guys in the system to backup right now.

Doesn't make sense for us. What we need to add is a stud potential #1 goalie for the future.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The Babcock connection isn't as great with most Detroit players as what is discussed on here at times. Like how Filppula flat out rejected playing for him again. Now Mrazek is in danger of not having a NHL job at all so perhaps he would welcome any chance. But there are not many guys outside of Glendening that are active players and have a good relationship with Babcock in Detroit. They spent the summer he left giving each other gag-gifts making fun of Babcock all over twitter.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Bringing in mrazek to presumably replace Andersen is essentially a “Nonis” move- low risk, marginal reward. It was reminiscent of when Bernier was slowly inching out Reimer. Reimer was coming out of game 7 in the 2013 playoffs. The blame was put on Reimer for the loss despite the fact that Toronto was outplayed by the bruins and he played behind phaneuf, franson, gardiner (who was great), Fraser, o’byrne, gunarsson, and the team surrendered more than 30 shots per game. There were flaws in the defensive scheme where the bruins maintained pressure and possession consistently. Fast forward to now. Leafs were just eliminated by the bruins again. Now someone has the audacity to suggest that we should repeat history?

What if instead of making a low risk no reward moves, we...I don’t know...fix the defence or acquire players who can prevent shots...or adopt better breakout schemes and cut the damn cycle from the opposing team.

With that being said, there is optimism where if the leafs choose not to resign jvr, bozak, or komarov (and they shouldn’t), I can imagine a team built on speed. We need to develop a plekanec 2.0 (he can probably get more money on the free market) and we need a center who does not have to be great defensively, but can hold their own and actually complement players.

Inb4 someone suggests Seabrook, trouba, or some defensman who generates shots but does not do the thing we need...prevent shots or entries. Those threads are agonizing to read and are not solutions to anything.

Random thoughts: we should go after merill, demers...we should have went after hjalmarsson when we had the chance.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
No need since the leafs have mcbackup, pickard and sparks in the org already

But Mcbackup is 35 in about 12 days, so like him or not he does need to be replaced soon.

I personally don't believe in Sparks, I know he has great numbers in the AHL I don't care, I don't believe in aguy drafted in 2011 that still hasn't made the NHL that's 7 years ago, if you haven't made the NHL 7 years after being drafted you generally don't make it.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Bringing in mrazek to presumably replace Andersen is essentially a “Nonis” move- low risk, marginal reward. It was reminiscent of when Bernier was slowly inching out Reimer. Reimer was coming out of game 7 in the 2013 playoffs. The blame was put on Reimer for the loss despite the fact that Toronto was outplayed by the bruins and he played behind phaneuf, franson, gardiner (who was great), Fraser, o’byrne, gunarsson, and the team surrendered more than 30 shots per game. There were flaws in the defensive scheme where the bruins maintained pressure and possession consistently. Fast forward to now. Leafs were just eliminated by the bruins again. Now someone has the audacity to suggest that we should repeat history?

What if instead of making a low risk no reward moves, we...I don’t know...fix the defence or acquire players who can prevent shots...or adopt better breakout schemes and cut the damn cycle from the opposing team.

With that being said, there is optimism where if the leafs choose not to resign jvr, bozak, or komarov (and they shouldn’t), I can imagine a team built on speed. We need to develop a plekanec 2.0 (he can probably get more money on the free market) and we need a center who does not have to be great defensively, but can hold their own and actually complement players.

Inb4 someone suggests Seabrook, trouba, or some defensman who generates shots but does not do the thing we need...prevent shots or entries. Those threads are agonizing to read and are not solutions to anything.

Random thoughts: we should go after merill, demers...we should have went after hjalmarsson when we had the chance.

Who said anything about replacing Andersen? The OP clearly means bring him in as a backup to Freddie

Reactions: Oddbob

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Didn't the red wings give up a bunch of shots in Detroit and mrazek was still bad?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
But Mcbackup is 35 in about 12 days, so like him or not he does need to be replaced soon.

I personally don't believe in Sparks, I know he has great numbers in the AHL I don't care, I don't believe in aguy drafted in 2011 that still hasn't made the NHL that's 7 years ago, if you haven't made the NHL 7 years after being drafted you generally don't make it.

Whether you believe it or not has nothing to do with it. Its not unusual at all for a goalie to make the league in his mid 20s. And thats ignoring the fact he could have been our backup for the last years, but management wanted him playing instead of bench warming.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
If I'm the Leafs, the only way I'd sign Mrazek is if McElhinney, Pickard, Sparks and every then goalie on the UFA market decide to retire this summer.

There's absolutely zero need for the Leafs to take a gamble on Mrazek when they could do so with one of the 3 guys already behind Andersen.

At this point, with the limited amount of NHL goaltending jobs opening up, I wouldn't be surprised to see Petr "How we gonna manage arbitration on wednesday with Ken Holland [4x money bag emoji]" Mrazek in the KHL next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad