Confirmed with Link: Mrazek Re-Signs for 2 Years (exp aav 3.125)

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Ok with this given that he earned it. Still would prefer to have an actual #1 somewhere in the organization at some point in time. Mrazek/Reimer/Forsberg/Ned feels like throwing darts and hoping for a duo that can just hang in there.

IMO with the direction the league is moving (1a/1b unless you’ve got a bonafide star), this is probably going to be the situation for a third of the teams in the league at any given time.

Off the top of my head, Carolina, Calgary, Edmonton, NYI, Chicago, LA, Columbus, and Ottawa are all coming in with varying levels of goaltending uncertainty and just seeing what sticks. Obviously that’s not a who’s who of great teams in the league, but based on where we are it’s probably the best move for us.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
2 years at $3.125m isn't anything to get upset over. Petr-Reimer-Ned should be just fine going into this season

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Great contract. The term is the best part in that we didn’t have to commit many years to him. I still have concerns about his consistency and with this deal if he goes back to sucking it’s not a huge problem.

Reactions: AndreiThreeK

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Ok with this given that he earned it. Still would prefer to have an actual #1 somewhere in the organization at some point in time. Mrazek/Reimer/Forsberg/Ned feels like throwing darts and hoping for a duo that can just hang in there.
I'm hoping that Kotchetkov could be getting a look by the time the 2 years is up.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
He just turned 20.

The youngest starters in the league last year, Vas and Murray, were 24.
Hey, I'm not saying for sure he'll be in the league or a starter, but he doesn't need as long of a bridge to make the league theoretically at his age.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
He just turned 20.

The youngest starters in the league last year, Vas and Murray, were 24.

True but also they’ve both been in the league for several years.

I think the bigger issue for me is everyone assuming that because we drafted a guy at 36th overall he should be slated as a clear-cut #1 goalie that we can plan free agent contracts around lol.

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
That and Aho included, we still have room for another cap dump (or Ferland, outside shot). Williams is another possible bonus. Great contract.
I hope so. unless that bonus they have to pay in year 1 and 2 cuts significantly into the budget and they can take on other players other than league min AHL players.

Reactions: DaveG

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Glad mrazek is back. I think a platoon situation will bring out the best in him and hes one of the more fun goalies to watch in the game today

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
That’s like, super good for Mrazek compared to what it could’ve been.

I was expecting he was asking for 3x$4m, and didn’t want to give it to him. This is much more palatable. Still don’t have confidence in him as the long term goaltending solution for the organization, but for two years at that number he can be either 1a with the best of Ned/Reimer/Forsberg as his 1b, or he can play 1b if one of those guys steps up.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
I was hoping for Lehner, but the term on this one is ideal. Hopefully Reimer/Ned can be steady like Mac last year

Reactions: DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
That and Aho included, we still have room for another cap dump (or Ferland, outside shot). Williams is another possible bonus. Great contract.
Yep, still a solid 10M under the cap even after matching on Aho. Figure another 5M filled by Saku, McGinn, Fleury, and Forsling, but that's still plenty of room to get in another winger and still be under the cap.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
He's in! He's in! Yes! Yes! Whoo!

Perfectly fine with Mrazek/Reimer tandem. McElhinney was obviously better last season but at his age you have to wonder how much he has left in the gas tank.

Yeah I was going to say this. Wish the best to Mac in Tampa, dude was a good solider here and should be a good backup for a strong Bolts team. Also glad he isn't going to Montreal as I seem to recall they were in on him.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I would have liked McElhinney back. But looking at it as McElhinney at $1.3M per year plus Darling's 4 year buyout vs Reimer makes sense.

And keeping Mrazek for these 2 years was definitely my priority over McBackup. Needed someone who could play the majority of the games next year, and that's not McElhinney.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00