Recalled/Assigned: Mrazek Called Up/ Gustavsson Injured

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Chris McCosky ‏@cmccosky 1h1 hour ago
Shoulder injury to Jonas Gustavsson could keep him out for "weeks" -- Ken Holland said. Not sure yet if surgery will be required.

Detroit Sports*

We don't have another back to back game until Dec. 6 & 7. Any bets on whether Mrazek gets a single start between now and then? I think it's very possible we just ride Howard the whole time.

I think this is true and this makes me sad. :shakehead I think Mrazek is better than Howard RIGHT NOW.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
It's early, but so far Howard is top ten in SV% and GAA among starting goaltenders.

There's no way Mrazek is an upgrade "RIGHT NOW."

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
He one of the many that think Mrazek is better out of the box.

He's a better puck handler, I'll give them that. But you don't replace a top 10-15 goaltender because you think that rookie over there "looks" better.

Howard isn't flashy. Sometimes looks a little unorthodox. Can you argue the results? Excluding his sophomore year, which he should get a pass (all of the pros do, why not Howard?), he's put up .920+ 3 out of 4 years. He's on pace to do it again!

I'm sorry, Mrazek may have potential...but he's not better than Howard at the NHL level right NOW. It's possible that he never will, outside his puck handling abilities.

Howard is a damn fine goalie, and I'm face palm every time I see someone wanting to get rid of him for Mrazek. No thanks. If the kid can play 60+ games year in and year out at the NHL level...be a work horse when called upon (something Howard can do)..and get results (also something HOward can do) with that kind of work load, then we'll talk. For now, Howard all the way.

Edit: I will say, I'm also high on Mrazek. But I do think it's silly talk to get rid of Howard for him now, or next year...just on a few NHL level games. AHL is a totally different beast all together (not near as competitive...obviously)

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I'd bet that Mrazek gets a game or two. We don't have back-to-backs, but there is a game every other day. At some point in the next month, they'll be cool with giving Howard a rest for a night to actually get him 3 days of rest.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Depending on the severity of his shoulder injury and if he will have to have surgery, I would expect that he will miss at least a month if not more.

It is his glove hand, I think we are looking at two to three months. That isn't something you tuck in, it is something that has to be exerted and strengthened given what that joint is asked to do and the high motor reflexes it has. That is assuming he doesn't have shoulder damage.

Like I said when playing TV doctor last night this looked like a significant impact with a violent action. I don't expect him back before the new year, he will be shelved the standard four weeks if it is just the milder shoulder separation and with goalies that can turn worse.

We will not know until the MRI, but this is looking and starting to sound more and more like a fairly significant injury for Monster. I wish him the best in his recovery.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
It is his glove hand, I think we are looking at two to three months. That isn't something you tuck in, it is something that has to be exerted and strengthened given what that joint is asked to do and the high motor reflexes it has. That is assuming he doesn't have shoulder damage.

Like I said when playing TV doctor last night this looked like a significant impact with a violent action. I don't expect him back before the new year, he will be shelved the standard four weeks if it is just the milder shoulder separation and with goalies that can turn worse.

We will not know until the MRI, but this is looking and starting to sound more and more like a fairly significant injury for Monster. I wish him the best in his recovery.

Well this will give Mrazek a few games here any ways, And like you said wishing Monster the best in his recovery.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd pass on Brodeur personally...Vokoun didn't he have a blot clot? Is that resolved? When was the last time he played? Thomas, when was the last time he played as well lol.

Meh, I think Brodeur would be fine as a 3rd goalie or a back up. Yeah, Vokoun probably can't play for health reasons.

Thomas played 48 games last year, he could probably suit up. He's a Michigan guy, we should be able to convince him.

Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
Meh, I think Brodeur would be fine as a 3rd goalie or a back up. Yeah, Vokoun probably can't play for health reasons.

Thomas played 48 games last year, he could probably suit up. He's a Michigan guy, we should be able to convince him.

Always like Vokoun but dang that sucks. I'd probably want Brzy for the lulz but Thomas could be an option.

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive
Wings' Jonas Gustavsson (dislocated shoulder) will be out approximately 2 months, Ken Holland said. No surgery planned at this time.

That's a long time for Mrazek to be riding the bench, hopefully he gets sufficient playing time

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive
Wings' Jonas Gustavsson (dislocated shoulder) will be out approximately 2 months, Ken Holland said. No surgery planned at this time.

That's a long time for Mrazek to be riding the bench, hopefully he gets sufficient playing time

they could have mcbust riding bench occasionally and mrazek playing in AHL.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Seriously, call Thomas. Perfect guy for Movember month too.

tim-thomas.jpg

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Thomas isn't very good anymore. I'm not sure if you watched him in the world championships, but he looked absolutely awful. I wouldn't trust him to play an NHL game at this point.

If they want Mrazek to play more games, call up McCollum for a while. Its not like he'll have to play very much, and I dont think its the end of the world if he gets a game or two. He's been really solid in the AHL for quite a while now.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I don't see why we can't sign Bryzgalov while Gustavsson is out. Mrazek needs to be playing, riding the bench while Monster is out wont help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad