The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
Well there goes the plan of 50+ starts for Mrazek in the AHL

Looks like its gonna be another up and down season for him

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What kind of injury did Gustavsson get? Groin?

I am going with shoulder as a tv doctor.

Could be two or three months, he landed hard on it and it shifted completely out of position. Then he couldn't lift it at all, could be a collarbone too, but it was ugly looking in terms of how hard the contact was and the jolt upward from extending it and falling on it.

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
Sweden

Could be two or three months, he landed hard on it and it shifted completely out of position. Then he couldn't lift it at all, could be a collarbone too, but it was ugly looking in terms of how hard the contact was and the jolt upward from extending it and falling on it.

Alright. Thought he pulled a groin trying to get to the rebound.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
We don't have another back to back game until Dec. 6 & 7. Any bets on whether Mrazek gets a single start between now and then? I think it's very possible we just ride Howard the whole time.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Wow, Poor Gus. He just can't catch a break. Either with his groin or now possible shoulder. Get well soon Gus.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Alright. Thought he pulled a groin trying to get to the rebound.

Could have, but he was also clutching at his upper body without movement, then he was slumped over favoring his upper body on the way off the ice. Like I said just my guess, but I didn't like the way his body crumpled at all in terms of when he reached across missed and came down hard on an extended shoulder.

If it is the shoulder or collarbone on his glove hand he is going to be out for a lengthy period of time, especially if he got the ligaments which he very well could have given the violent appearance of the play. Really a groin would be fortunate given what I thought it looked like on the replay.

Also think it is why Babcock can walk into a presser and say right away he is down for a bit, Mrazek is up. Not we will get a scan and look at the damage, groins are almost always day to day at least in the post-game.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
We don't have another back to back game until Dec. 6 & 7. Any bets on whether Mrazek gets a single start between now and then? I think it's very possible we just ride Howard the whole time.

I don't think this will be the plan. Howard will get a lot of starts especially with his form, but they wanted Mrazek to see a decent workload this season. Assuming he gets his game in order which right now isn't great, he will actually probably see more ice time than Monster would have given some of the factors. But a lot of that will be up to Mrazek's play which frankly has been underwhelming in his opening month of the season.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I will say this especially with how uneven our D play is in terms of the forecheck, Mrazek is very good with the puck. So if he gets in we will see a goalie that actually helps keep our D clean for a change and likes to play the puck and is very good with it. People should like that a great deal, especially Kindl, Lashoff and Quincey that don't excel at all in this regard. Quincey has played well this year but that is still a rough spot for him at times.

Mrazek projects as elite caliber goaltender in terms of puck handling and really in every area, he is already considerably better than both our current guys and likely near top 10 from the moment he enters the league in terms of handling the puck. The reads will speed up a little but it is something worth watching, Mrazek wants the puck and he plays it extremely well when he gets it.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Wow, Poor Gus. He just can't catch a break. Either with his groin or now possible shoulder. Get well soon Gus.

Yeah it sucks but I think this is his last year with us. Well at least Mrazek gets more looks up here with the big boys. If Gus is out longterm. They maybe should ease Mrazek in with more starts.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

If that's the case... Couldn't we just call up McCollum and let Mrazek keep getting games in GR???

He actually has by far the best stats down in GR in this very young season.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Yeah it sucks but I think this is his last year with us. Well at least Mrazek gets more looks up here with the big boys. If Gus is out longterm. They maybe should ease Mrazek in with more starts.

Absolutely, This is what i'm thinking as well. Since Mrazek is'nt playing to wonderfully right now in Grand Rapids. If we can give him a few spots starts that is if Gus is out long term and he does well then he can gain his confidence back. Could be a little shaky right now.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
But Mrazek would've played even less as a full time backup.. Or what are you saying?

To sign a different backup, the time Monster would lose to injury was inevitable given his track record in my opinion.

I understood keeping Mrazek down, he hasn't played 50 regular season games since the OHL. If he does get promoted we are going to need a big backup on hand in terms of planning because we won't know if he can handle the workload. We will see, but I would have found somebody different than Monster who frustrates me to no end in terms of his positioning anyway.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
I don't think this will be the plan. Howard will get a lot of starts especially with his form, but they wanted Mrazek to see a decent workload this season. Assuming he gets his game in order which right now isn't great, he will actually probably see more ice time than Monster would have given some of the factors. But a lot of that will be up to Mrazek's play which frankly has been underwhelming in his opening month of the season.

Yep, this would be my guess as well!

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI

Honestly, if they don't plan on playing Mrazek alot, why not reach out a sign one of the free agents goalies like Thomas or Bryzgalov? especially if Monster is out for months. I'd rather Mrazek be playing than sitting on the bench for months.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Honestly, if they don't plan on playing Mrazek alot, why not reach out a sign one of the free agents goalies like Thomas or Bryzgalov? especially if Monster is out for months. I'd rather Mrazek be playing than sitting on the bench for months.

Brodeur could maybe teach Howard how to stick handle a puck... maybe

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
To sign a different backup, the time Monster would lose to injury was inevitable given his track record in my opinion.

I understood keeping Mrazek down, he hasn't played 50 regular season games since the OHL. If he does get promoted we are going to need a big backup on hand in terms of planning because we won't know if he can handle the workload. We will see, but I would have found somebody different than Monster who frustrates me to no end in terms of his positioning anyway.

His health frustrates me too and so does Howard's. But Gustavsson's performance last season was nothing to scoff at and thus I don't blame bringing him back. His start this season isn't great but it's not a nightmare, we can't blame team shortcomings on him(both Philly&Rangers we let them get free breakaways, good luck finding backup goalies for that). Overall the risk of getting someone worse seems higher than the chance of finding someone better. We certainly did worse with the backup position before him, from over-the-hill Ozzie to Conklin to MacDonald.

At the end of the day, this is why you have three goalies.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Gus is great when in Net but he is not healthy enough to justify getting him back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad