Mr. Bergevin.... I Salute You

Mynameismark*

He does like to acquire players that Therrien barely ever uses though.

Briere, Parenteau, Semin.....

He did well with Weise and Fleischmann so far...Kassian remains to be seen if and when he comes back. We could use a guy like Kass.

But he has not handled Tinordi well at all by never giving him a due shot and by plugging up spots that should have went to guys like Tinner but instead went to guys like Bouillon and Gilbert and that sort of ilk.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

He did well with Weise and Fleischmann so far...Kassian remains to be seen if and when he comes back. We could use a guy like Kass.

But he has not handled Tinordi well at all by never giving him a due shot and by plugging up spots that should have went to guys like Tinner but instead went to guys like Bouillon and Gilbert and that sort of ilk.

Bouillon last played for Habs in 2013-14.....how was he holding back Tinordi 2yrs ago if he can't even crack the team now? Gilbert is a RHD...Tinordi is LHD

When you look at these players that Therrien doesn't use, what do they all have in common?? Short term contracts!!! And yes...we certainly can use a player like Kassian, as long as his head is clear and is committed to staying clean and playing the Habs system!

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I don't care about the other teams. And in the rest of my post I did note we had pieces that are enticing and can be used in a trade.....and that he needs to find the right fit.

This makes no sense. Being a contender is about being one of the top teams, if those other teams are at the level of an average AHL teams then we are easily the top contender, if they are at the level of Canada's Olympic team then we are no where near being a contender. It's completely dependent on the other teams.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
This makes no sense. Being a contender is about being one of the top teams, if those other teams are at the level of an average AHL teams then we are easily the top contender, if they are at the level of Canada's Olympic team then we are no where near being a contender. It's completely dependent on the other teams.

ok, I'l be more obvious...I don't care about their needs.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
ok, I'l be more obvious...I don't care about their needs.

Yet your argument is that we aren't a contender because of a hole at RW in the top-6. Yet those other contenders have similar or worse holes.

You are applying one set of standards for the Habs and a much easier set of standards to other teams.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Briere Parenteau and Semin(to a lesser extent) all had a chance to make it work here and played with skill guys and it never clicked. If they were "barely used" it's that other players outplayed them. Would you rather have Parenteau than Weise right now?

Briere had a worst year in Colorado(12pts in 57 games) than he did with the Habs(25pts in 69 games). He was more a Bergevin mistake than misused by Therrien. Trading him for PAP was giving guys a fresh start.

Semin was a buy low signing, he got 10 games and was on a 24 point pace despite top 6 minutes. I'd blame the player there, not the coach.

The problem with Tinordi is more about not having an opening for him than anything. The team is winning, so who do you sit to give him a look? Obviously sitting for 15 games is not ideal, but when the team is 12-2-1 not much you can do.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
Yet your argument is that we aren't a contender because of a hole at RW in the top-6. Yet those other contenders have similar or worse holes.

You are applying one set of standards for the Habs and a much easier set of standards to other teams.

that was not my argument. My point was that our one obvious hole is at top 6 RW. I did not compare MTL to anyone else. Nor did I say contender. You brought that aspect into this. My only comment was I don't care about other teams, I never compared them, I only posted that our one glaringly obvious need is a top 6 RW and that MB has at his disposal many solid picks and prospects at his disposal for trade, and with the team playing well from top to bottom, he has the luxury of time.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

I believe what jwrocks1 is trying to say is that you have no control over what other teams do. The only thing you can do is focus on making your team the best it can be. Besides being considered a contender is irrelevant. It doesn't win you any awards not does it guarantee you Cup.

We also have our franchise center playing on the 4th line. How many cup contenders do that? We were hoping that he would pick up his game and be ready for the playoffs but that's no longer looking like the case. DD is currently our 2nd line as many predicted would happen. Will they be able to translate their regular season success into the playoffs when their time and space is taken away? There have been many questionable decisions taken since the beginning of MT tenure that have raised many peoples doubts.

Bergevillain

Aug 1, 2014
London, ON
I believe what jwrocks1 is trying to say is that you have no control over what other teams do. The only thing you can do is focus on making your team the best it can be. Besides being considered a contender is irrelevant. It doesn't win you any awards not does it guarantee you Cup.

We also have our franchise center playing on the 4th line. How many cup contenders do that? We were hoping that he would pick up his game and be ready for the playoffs but that's no longer looking like the case. DD is currently our 2nd line as many predicted would happen. Will they be able to translate their regular season success into the playoffs when their time and space is taken away? There have been many questionable decisions taken since the beginning of MT tenure that have raised many peoples doubts.

I forgot about Mitchell, our franchise center. These questionable decisions have us winning games.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015

that's partially what I am saying. I am simply more concerned with MTL's needs, and can care less about comparisons to other teams. We have our identity, we need to add to it.

And I agree, I am not too pleased with Galch being relegated to 4th line icetime (with some PP), but it isn't based on his play, he is stuck like Pleks was a few seasons ago not having any real top end talent next to him and a revolving door on his wings. But we have to admit, that as of right now, DD's line is producing well, and they are eating up the 3rd pairings of teams. But that will change soon, and their production will slow. Then what? That's why we need a real top 6 RW to line up with Galch. Once we have that, then it will mean 3 scoring lines rolling, and a 4th line that can really puch the pace. We have the pieces in place to make a deal happen, it's now the one job MB has left to finish this puzzle this season.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I'm not claiming we need those elite players, but I won't ignore the need for a top 6 winger.

DSP/Flynn are not.

One of the few things we all agree on is the need for a solid, steady RW for Galchenyuk's line.

Where we all disagree is how important that RW spot is regarding Montreal's status as a contender, as well as how, where and when to address it.

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
Bergevin is trying to build a forward group without the benefit of multiple top picks. It's actually rare to see a good forward group in today's NHL that isn't comprised of multiple top picks. The only one he's had is Galchenyuk.

I mean, you can go the free agent route but you run the risk of destroying your future cap. And Bergevin is CLEARLY not going to do that. Which from the outset makes him one of the smarter GMs in the game.

As a result, the process takes longer. But even though we might not feel that it's coming, it's coming.

McCarron, Scherbak, Hudon, Andrighetto, Thomas. One will hit. The odds of none of them becoming top 6 quality are pretty low. You have to think one will hit. If two hit then you're set in your forward group.

And this is without free agency or trades. This is purely internal development.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
that was not my argument. My point was that our one obvious hole is at top 6 RW. I did not compare MTL to anyone else. Nor did I say contender. You brought that aspect into this. My only comment was I don't care about other teams, I never compared them, I only posted that our one glaringly obvious need is a top 6 RW and that MB has at his disposal many solid picks and prospects at his disposal for trade, and with the team playing well from top to bottom, he has the luxury of time.

I think I confused yours and smirob's posts. Sorry about that.

I wouldn't really say it's a must fix hole, because so far we are a top offensive team this year anyways. We also don't NEED to address it because we are a contender regardless, but it's certainly the area where there is the biggest room for improvement and it is our weakest link (But the chain is strong regardless).

If Bergevin can address it that's great, it would certainly solidify us as the team to beat. But considering he's had 4 years and has done nothing but try one reject after another I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
One of the few things we all agree on is the need for a solid, steady RW for Galchenyuk's line.

Where we all disagree is how important that RW spot is regarding Montreal's status as a contender, as well as how, where and when to address it.

Pretty much this.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015

I wouldn't really say it's a must fix hole, because so far we are a top offensive team this year anyways. We also don't NEED to address it because we are a contender regardless, but it's certainly the area where there is the biggest room for improvement and it is our weakest link (But the chain is strong regardless).

If Bergevin can address it that's great, it would certainly solidify us as the team to beat. But considering he's had 4 years and has done nothing but try one reject after another I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

No worries.

Right now, everything is clipping along better than anyone expected. And that's great. It isn't a must fix issue in the short term. But my view is to the playoffs. We can beat just about anyone in the east as we are now....But, if we really want to compete with TB on the scoring (which was our issue last year) we need to fill that spot so we can roll 3 scoring lines like they did to us last year. If we had that, with our D and Goaltending being superior we should win. And the western teams shouldn't be as daunting a task either with that setup.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Bergevin is trying to build a forward group without the benefit of multiple top picks. It's actually rare to see a good forward group in today's NHL that isn't comprised of multiple top picks. The only one he's had is Galchenyuk.

I mean, you can go the free agent route but you run the risk of destroying your future cap. And Bergevin is CLEARLY not going to do that. Which from the outset makes him one of the smarter GMs in the game.

As a result, the process takes longer. But even though we might not feel that it's coming, it's coming.

McCarron, Scherbak, Hudon, Andrighetto, Thomas. One will hit. The odds of none of them becoming top 6 quality are pretty low. You have to think one will hit. If two hit then you're set in your forward group.

And this is without free agency or trades. This is purely internal development.

Not sure I agree that you need to draft high to build a top offence. High picks surely help because they increase the odds of hitting a star, but whether Pacioretty was drafted top-5 or not doesn't change anything.

Before the season started most people would have had Tampa as the top offensive team and since Drouin was/is still finding himself they only have Stamkos as the important top pick. Anaheim was considered to be very good offensively and again they don't have top picks in their lineup. Dallas doesn't have any high picks that they drafted.

At the end of the day, Bergevin inherited a very strong group of forwards, that's why they were a top offensive team in 2012-2013 despite Bergevin's only moves being a couple 4th liners.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
No worries.

Right now, everything is clipping along better than anyone expected. And that's great. It isn't a must fix issue in the short term. But my view is to the playoffs. We can beat just about anyone in the east as we are now....But, if we really want to compete with TB on the scoring (which was our issue last year) we need to fill that spot so we can roll 3 scoring lines like they did to us last year. If we had that, with our D and Goaltending being superior we should win. And the western teams shouldn't be as daunting a task either with that setup.

The thing is we don't need to compete with their scoring because we are so much better defensively and in nets. If we were also one of the top offensive teams we would be without question the top team in the league, with no weakness at all. That's just not realistic. We will have weaknesses, just like every team will have weaknesses. Obviously Bergevin needs to try and address them, but we can't expect perfection.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Still hoping we can land a big scoring winger. If we do that we're going to be tough to beat.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
The thing is we don't need to compete with their scoring because we are so much better defensively and in nets. If we were also one of the top offensive teams we would be without question the top team in the league, with no weakness at all. That's just not realistic. We will have weaknesses, just like every team will have weaknesses. Obviously Bergevin needs to try and address them, but we can't expect perfection.

But if we got that top 6 RW we would have 3 scoring lines, with a top 5 NHL D line and the best NHL goaltending. We would have every weapon we need. Perfection is impossible, even the best players fail or make misplays, but if we have the depth we can get with that one move, perfection as a team can be found.

1 more move and this team would be scary good come playoff time. Right now we are just a scary good regular season team.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
Globally... the thing is, we can get better. It's possible! and we are already first ...

GOOD TIME!

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Still hoping we can land a big scoring winger. If we do that we're going to be tough to beat.

When all is said and done come playoff time we will probably discover we are still weak up the middle.
Can teams completely shut down Plecky and Desharnais? Will Chucky amount to anything?
These are issues that will remain regardless of what we do on right wing.
We are two forwards short in my estimation one being the equivalent of a Brian Bellows type acquisition.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Assuming of course that the rest of the group up front keeps performing as they have.
Going by the current pace, we have 8 players set to score over 60pts. That doesn't include Weise who is on pace to score 40+ goals, and our 4th line center on 50pts.
It's just not going to happen.

So we can't operate with the idea that this is going to continue and not worry much about that big hole on the top 6. It is a big issue and it does need addressing.
Thankfully, we are winning and things are currently going well, so we don't need to rush anything, but we can't wait for things to settle back down.
We need to be proactive not reactive.

Where I do agree though is that we are contenders regardless. We have some pretty good depth up front with good two way players, we have one of the best top defensive pairing leading one of the best D squads, and we have not only the best goalie but best player in the NHL in nets. So yes, any team with that is going to be contending unless something terrible goes wrong.
We can't forget that we actually outscored TB in the POs last year at ES, and we're even better this year.
But it's still important to fix that hole.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
Assuming of course that the rest of the group up front keeps performing as they have.
Going by the current pace, we have 8 players set to score over 60pts. That doesn't include Weise who is on pace to score 40+ goals, and our 4th line center on 50pts.
It's just not going to happen.

So we can't operate with the idea that this is going to continue and not worry much about that big hole on the top 6. It is a big issue and it does need addressing.
Thankfully, we are winning and things are currently going well, so we don't need to rush anything, but we can't wait for things to settle back down.
We need to be proactive not reactive.

Where I do agree though is that we are contenders regardless. We have some pretty good depth up front with good two way players, we have one of the best top defensive pairing leading one of the best D squads, and we have not only the best goalie but best player in the NHL in nets. So yes, any team with that is going to be contending unless something terrible goes wrong.
We can't forget that we actually outscored TB in the POs last year at ES, and we're even better this year.
But it's still important to fix that hole.

What is the thing that make on 50 pointers, if not making 50 point? In fact was make Weise outperform 80% of the rest of NHL while playing so little...

As a fan, we need to start to believe in the asset of the team! Their successes may not last... but why would they not? We don't know yet, no one is! I though we had a good roster last year... We finished 2nd in the season, habs were beaten by a cup finalist! This year, I believe it's a even better team... With the current result.... It's even better than I was inspecting!

Currently we have 10 players in the top 100.... 10!!!!! I don't want it to stop!

I don't know the Future... But I will not believe that with the current result, only slow down are to be inspected

GO habs GO!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad