OT: Moving to Tysons Corner

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
as for being dumb by taking 123 from tysons.....yes, there are many back roads one can take, but everybody else knows them as well, just not everybody chooses to use them for various reasons - tons of stop signs, no thru traffic times, choked intersections ( like mentioned above, speed traps, etc. ) and depending on where one lives in vienna, some arent all that better than 123.

There is pretty much not a place in Vienna I couldn't figure out a faster way to regularly get to coming from Tysons in rush hour than going down 123. There are just so many options. Sure some are better than others but they are all better than crawling down 123.

member 51464

123 (or better yet, small back roads). Rules of living in Northern Virginia:

#1: If you can avoid driving, do.
#2: If you MUST drive and can avoid 66, do.
#3: If you MUST drive and can avoid the Beltway, do.
#4: If you MUST drive and can avoid 50, do.
#5: Be a dick or you won't last long.

Personally I would have moved the **** out of Purcellville, because **** that.
:laugh: Thanks for the list.
yeah, i used that as well, the choke point though was the intersection of locust and park....:rant:

as for being dumb by taking 123 from tysons.....yes, there are many back roads one can take, but everybody else knows them as well, just not everybody chooses to use them for various reasons - tons of stop signs, no thru traffic times, choked intersections ( like mentioned above, speed traps, etc. ) and depending on where one lives in vienna, some arent all that better than 123.

to the op, depending on what school it is on GTpike, you could go a couple different ways. the beltway is the "fastest" to 193, but on any given day it's a crap shoot. an accident 15 miles away in MD will impact the inner loop in VA in no time. when it rains....snows...or either is predicted to happen...LOL theres also lewinsville, balls hill, swinks mill...all get you up to GTpike.

the pike is a major artery, for the high steppin' folks living in great falls and mclean, to get on/off the beltway. the traffic there is a mess at rush hour, so keep that in mind if you have to go through it - over the beltway.
Interesting, thanks for the rundown. Just a cursory glance shows it as being the furthest east of the schools on that section of the GTpike. So, I suppose my best bet will be to take 123/Dolley Madison my first few days until I figure out a back way to get near that 123/193 junction. Fortunately, the place I am renting is tucked inside the beltway, so I won't have to deal with the Beltway at all.

Thanks again to everyone for being so helpful!

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
There is pretty much not a place in Vienna I couldn't figure out a faster way to regularly get to coming from Tysons in rush hour than going down 123. There are just so many options. Sure some are better than others but they are all better than crawling down 123.

by pretty much i assume you mean any place not west of laywers rd/park st, because there isnt any way any "faster" than 123.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Wow, a lot of people from Vienna in this thread... Anyone here have a Mustang and a Don't Tread On Me flag?

Gotta love the back roads around 123. I use them so much I'll take them reflexively, regardless of the traffic on 123. Although even Church St can get backed up during rush hour.

/flashes suburban Caucasian Vienna gang sign. :laugh:

Don't get me started talking about the Vienna police, heh.

Housing prices in the NOVA area really didn't take big a hit. Was mainly the farther out exurbs that really got hammered (my brother was one of those). My coworker that left has got a pretty big family already so likely had to live somewhere out there to simply afford it.

My condo's value got hammered from the 2008 housing bubble and I'm still upside down on it. Bought it at 135k in '04. Slight refi to 155k when the value was around 190k. In 2009 it dropped to 80k, rofl. Using Zillow I actually might be close to break even.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
by pretty much i assume you mean any place not west of laywers rd/park st, because there isnt any way any "faster" than 123.

I live pretty darn close to Nutley, which is a decent amount farther west than Park and Lawyers/Courthouse. No way would I ever take 123 to Tysons in the morning or home in the afternoon. No way is crawling down 123 faster than taking back roads and those same back roads will take me east of Park also. There are plenty of ways faster than 123 to almost anywhere in Vienna except for places directly on 123 and depending on how far down 123 those places are there is likely a faster way to go so you are only on 123 for a short period of time, possibly by coming at it from the other direction.

member 51464

Does this 123 road completely suck north of Tysons Corner as well? This sounds depressing :/

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Fact is during rush hour times there is a lot of traffic on the roads; fact is there is plenty of traffic around here even during non traditional rush hour times.

As others have noted, there are ways to lessen the headache by choosing times and roads, but it's a busy area. Although I have had some in the past, there are few, if any, reverse commutes left in the DC area.

Personally, I don't understand picking out a place sight unseen and without testing the commute, but I recognize that for some people making a visit in advance is not so easy.

You'll figure it out and if you don't like your commute, when your lease is up you can move.

member 51464

Fact is during rush hour times there is a lot of traffic on the roads; fact is there is plenty of traffic around here even during non traditional rush hour times.

As others have noted, there are ways to lessen the headache by choosing times and roads, but it's a busy area. Although I have had some in the past, there are few, if any, reverse commutes left in the DC area.

Personally, I don't understand picking out a place sight unseen and without testing the commute, but I recognize that for some people making a visit in advance is not so easy.

You'll figure it out and if you don't like your commute, when your lease is up you can move.

Unfortunately, it was not an option. The current place I live (in the midwest) was also a site-unseen thing when I was moving back from overseas. It worked out well enough, so hopefully this one does too :)

Anyway, thanks to everyone for all of your help and input! I'll stop bugging your sub-forum now.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Does this 123 road completely suck north of Tysons Corner as well? This sounds depressing :/

Not completely.

Unfortunately, it was not an option. The current place I live (in the midwest) was also a site-unseen thing when I was moving back from Hong Kong. It worked out well enough, so hopefully this one does too :)

Anyway, thanks to everyone for all of your help and input! I'll stop bugging your sub-forum now.

You're kidding, right? This is our mostonly active thread.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Its a bummer this thread got derailed by a lowly traffic discussion. You will be fine. Everyone in DC ends up in traffic at one point or another. Use your Google traffic app avoid the major issues fire up local sports radio or satellite and you will like northern VA.

The dating scene, of much greater importance than traffic to anyone single, is top notch, top notch

cigar-guy-caddyshack-ted-knight.png

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Unfortunately, it was not an option. The current place I live (in the midwest) was also a site-unseen thing when I was moving back from Hong Kong. It worked out well enough, so hopefully this one does too :)

Moving from another country is a bit different :)

Anyway, as noted, it will work out. Don't think you are bugging people because the conversation is contained in one thread; again, take a look early in the visiting the area thread (somewhere starting around post 10 or 11) for links and information which you may find helpful, as well as looking at some of the more recent conversations there.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Yeah, don't get too anxious about the traffic. You'll figure out when to generally avoid the roads (if possible) and the back roads to take locally. It's a much bigger deal if you're living somewhere like Manassas and commuting to and from the district every day.

Despite all of the (legitimate) complaints, NOVA is a great place to live. There's great food, great shopping, and a ton to do. As someone who worked in Hong Kong, I'm betting you'll love the Asian food we've got in the area. Huge Korean population in Annandale (not far from you), huge Vietnamese population in Falls Church (even closer to you), and the largest Thai population in the country outside of Los Angeles (scattered about). Makes for some spectacular authentic fare.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

VA-123 is almost on par with VA-613 in terms of suckage. Lots of people use it, as it's one of the only main roads that does what it does, and there's a ton of ways it can go wrong. A couple years ago a bus driver missed his exit on the GWMP and decided to try cutting through the median at the GW/123 junction...bus got stuck, and he blocked lanes in both directions. 495, 123, 193, 738, 684, 267, and 7 were all a giant gridlock. The entire NW area of the Beltway was ruined for hours.

Now, that's not par for the course. That was a perfect storm. But be warned...traffic will suck, and every now and then it will be disastrous. The best thing to do is not worry about it. Think of it as an opportunity to explore new music, for instance.

However, if OPM is in charge of your job's storm closings...I very strongly recommend you use your own discretion and sick leave to take off in advance of bad weather. They've come a really long way in the last two years, but they still make some really questionably calls...just ask everyone involved in the Jan 29 2011 storm.

As for 123...like 613, it's generally so packed that people can't go fast enough to wreck. Almost all of the time, you'll get where you're going. You'll just get there slowly. As long as you're Zen about the whole thing, it's no big deal. I know a lot of people who still lose their **** the moment they have to tap their brakes, even after living here for a few years. Those people are doomed to a miserable existence, because they've got the wrong outlook.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
123 and any east/west type arteries are just going to suck. It is why 66 completely blows and don't get me started on the BS of not expanding the lanes inside the beltway.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
123 and any east/west type arteries are just going to suck. It is why 66 completely blows and don't get me started on the BS of not expanding the lanes inside the beltway.

VDOT has been trying to expand I-66 for years, but Arlington County shoots them down every time. It's understandable; Arlington residents would get minimal benefit, most of the benefit would go to people in Fairfax and PW.

There are a few tricks regarding traffic control VDOT will be employing in the coming years...for instance, you know the X/Arrow lanes? There will be far more of those signs, with Xs closing lanes well before an incident downstream. That gives people a chance to merge more smoothly instead of slamming a stream of traffic into an area where 4 lanes becomes 2, and sorting it out. It might only save 2 minutes or so on a commute, but it ought to save a good deal on stress and cut down on secondary incidents.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Great! 2 backups, one when the X appears miles before the accident, and then again at the accident via rubber neckers. VDOT cannot be relied upon to make any major traffic related decisions at this point. They have failed. You think George and 15 years is a big enough sample size?

Invictius, you will be fine. Even if you are in traffic, everyone else is too.

gasrant

It amazes me the amount of resistance that is met by anyone trying to install a monorail, train, subway, any mass transportation options. How can we pay for it?! The horror! How does a govt pay for anything. Tax income. Or, the modern trend is by selling off our public land to private contractors to build toll roads, of course. 495 Express Lanes, ICC in Maryland. It's not just Virginia.

Only by heavy taxing of gasoline like the models in place in Europe, can we open the roads once again. It's that simple. Our gas is only expensive because oil company's are looting us. Refineries got on board looting us around Katrina. We were told the prices would never go back down. My refining stocks rocked.

We barely tax our gas in the US, relative to other countries that see a clear problem with cheap fuel. Try and impose a 5 cent tax on gas and the masses moan and protest over $25 a month. Yet gas prices spike a dollar a year and everyone blindly accepts it without even knowing why it happened.

The cost: air pollution, noise pollution, light pollution, high and unpredictable commute times, toll roads, texters drifting and driving slow as ****, horrible road conditions in need of constant repair, and presumed deteriorating health are but a few. Someone is going to do a study one day on air quality on roads as you sit in traffic. Carbon monoxide is the silent killer. Maybe that is what we need to hear.

/gasrant

member 51464

Not completely.

You're kidding, right? This is our mostonly active thread.
Haha, true. Some boards just are not as friendly to interlopers as all of you ;)
Its a bummer this thread got derailed by a lowly traffic discussion. You will be fine. Everyone in DC ends up in traffic at one point or another. Use your Google traffic app avoid the major issues fire up local sports radio or satellite and you will like northern VA.

The dating scene, of much greater importance than traffic to anyone single, is top notch, top notch

cigar-guy-caddyshack-ted-knight.png
Forget traffic, tell me more about that :laugh: I currently live in what is probably one of the worst places for singles in the country in terms of metro areas (Kansas City), so that will be a pleasant surprise.

I do get the impression that McLean/Tysons Corner are not where to go to meet the ladies, though. Is Arlington where I'll want to be on a Friday night?

Moving from another country is a bit different :)

Anyway, as noted, it will work out. Don't think you are bugging people because the conversation is contained in one thread; again, take a look early in the visiting the area thread (somewhere starting around post 10 or 11) for links and information which you may find helpful, as well as looking at some of the more recent conversations there.
Thanks, I'll definitely check out the visiting thread once I am moved and settled.
Yeah, don't get too anxious about the traffic. You'll figure out when to generally avoid the roads (if possible) and the back roads to take locally. It's a much bigger deal if you're living somewhere like Manassas and commuting to and from the district every day.

Despite all of the (legitimate) complaints, NOVA is a great place to live. There's great food, great shopping, and a ton to do. As someone who worked in Hong Kong, I'm betting you'll love the Asian food we've got in the area. Huge Korean population in Annandale (not far from you), huge Vietnamese population in Falls Church (even closer to you), and the largest Thai population in the country outside of Los Angeles (scattered about). Makes for some spectacular authentic fare.

Hooray! There is amazing barbecue to be had where I live, but not much in terms of Asian cuisine. That alone is making me look forward to the move :laugh:

As for the being stuck in traffic thing, I won't sweat it too much. I am not someone who stresses on that kind of thing. I'll just have to figure out how early is early enough to always be on time and go from there :)

member 51464

VA-123 is almost on par with VA-613 in terms of suckage. Lots of people use it, as it's one of the only main roads that does what it does, and there's a ton of ways it can go wrong. A couple years ago a bus driver missed his exit on the GWMP and decided to try cutting through the median at the GW/123 junction...bus got stuck, and he blocked lanes in both directions. 495, 123, 193, 738, 684, 267, and 7 were all a giant gridlock. The entire NW area of the Beltway was ruined for hours.

Now, that's not par for the course. That was a perfect storm. But be warned...traffic will suck, and every now and then it will be disastrous. The best thing to do is not worry about it. Think of it as an opportunity to explore new music, for instance.

However, if OPM is in charge of your job's storm closings...I very strongly recommend you use your own discretion and sick leave to take off in advance of bad weather. They've come a really long way in the last two years, but they still make some really questionably calls...just ask everyone involved in the Jan 29 2011 storm.

As for 123...like 613, it's generally so packed that people can't go fast enough to wreck. Almost all of the time, you'll get where you're going. You'll just get there slowly. As long as you're Zen about the whole thing, it's no big deal. I know a lot of people who still lose their **** the moment they have to tap their brakes, even after living here for a few years. Those people are doomed to a miserable existence, because they've got the wrong outlook.
That is actually genius advice.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
H

Forget traffic, tell me more about that :laugh: I currently live in what is probably one of the worst places for singles in the country in terms of metro areas (Kansas City), so that will be a pleasant surprise.

I do get the impression that McLean/Tysons Corner are not where to go to meet the ladies, though. Is Arlington where I'll want to be on a Friday night?
Arlington (Clarendon), Georgetown, U Street, Adams Morgan, and Dupont Circle are probably the top singles areas for going out. Old Town Alexandria, Crystal City, Ballston, and Rosslyn are also decent, but the young venues aren't as concentrated.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Great! 2 backups, one when the X appears miles before the accident, and then again at the accident via rubber neckers. VDOT cannot be relied upon to make any major traffic related decisions at this point. They have failed. You think George and 15 years is a big enough sample size?

Invictius, you will be fine. Even if you are in traffic, everyone else is too.

gasrant

It amazes me the amount of resistance that is met by anyone trying to install a monorail, train, subway, any mass transportation options. How can we pay for it?! The horror! How does a govt pay for anything. Tax income. Or, the modern trend is by selling off our public land to private contractors to build toll roads, of course. 495 Express Lanes, ICC in Maryland. It's not just Virginia.

Only by heavy taxing of gasoline like the models in place in Europe, can we open the roads once again. It's that simple. Our gas is only expensive because oil company's are looting us. Refineries got on board looting us around Katrina. We were told the prices would never go back down. My refining stocks rocked.

We barely tax our gas in the US, relative to other countries that see a clear problem with cheap fuel. Try and impose a 5 cent tax on gas and the masses moan and protest over $25 a month. Yet gas prices spike a dollar a year and everyone blindly accepts it without even knowing why it happened.

The cost: air pollution, noise pollution, light pollution, high and unpredictable commute times, toll roads, texters drifting and driving slow as ****, horrible road conditions in need of constant repair, and presumed deteriorating health are but a few. Someone is going to do a study one day on air quality on roads as you sit in traffic. Carbon monoxide is the silent killer. Maybe that is what we need to hear.

The only thing I haven't heard people raving about is the HOV extension on 95 through Quantico. I guess everyone realizes the current dump and merge at mm152 is a terrible situation, what with the 20 miles of backup it occasionally causes.

/gasrant

I cannot believe the opposition to major road improvements on the popular level. The ICC was a good example. People are still blasting it...give it 20 years and they won't be. A lot of problems would have been solved (Well, at least alleviated) if they had just built the freaking Outer Beltway when they built the "Inner" one we have now., but lo and behold...nobody wanted to do it. The ICC is essentially the top portion of that. They'll likely end up building most of it in the end, but at a much higher cost than if they'd just done it to begin with.

VA people are losing their **** over the bi-county parkway, too. And the Silver Line before it was being built. And in MD, there's people losing their mind over the Purple Line. Do these people like sitting in massive backups in an aging and overextended infrastructure so much they want to keep everything as is?

It would also be great if the rail infrastructure could be improved so VRE and MARC don't have to rely on freight lines. They don't have priority, so if CSX feels like holding them up for an hour while they change a signal light there's nothing they can do.

That is actually genius advice.

With any luck you won't need to do it. OPM has been erring on the side of caution recently (thanks to the backlash from the Jan 29 storm), but who knows how long that will last.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA

Arlington (Clarendon), Georgetown, U Street, Adams Morgan, and Dupont Circle are probably the top singles areas for going out. Old Town Alexandria, Crystal City, Ballston, and Rosslyn are also decent, but the young venues aren't as concentrated.

Ballston is OK. I spend most of my Friday nights there for hockey (postgame at the Front Page) and it's... ok. Clarendon is noticeably better. Circa is a cool place (I know the head bartender there) and the girls are nice looking and dolled up but still look classy, as opposed to skanky.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Ballston is OK. I spend most of my Friday nights there for hockey (postgame at the Front Page) and it's... ok. Clarendon is noticeably better. Circa is a cool place (I know the head bartender there) and the girls are nice looking and dolled up but still look classy, as opposed to skanky.

Agreed with you on Clarendon vs. Ballston. Ballston's good spots are much more scattered, and it's not really a place where you can bar/club-hop. Clarendon's got what, a dozen places within a few blocks around the Metro stop.

member 51464

Is this Silver Line not really supposed to make a big difference in street traffic? I had assumed that was the initial goal, but there seems to be a lot of pessimism around when I read blogs and news updates and such about how much good it will really do.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $8,851.00