OT: Moving to Tysons Corner

member 51464

Hey team, I am moving to Northern Virginia. I figure a lot of Caps fans probably live in this area so I thought I'd say hello!

Can anyone in the area clue me in to which internet providers are in that area? I found a condo to rent online that I am a fan of. However, I don't have the actual unit # yet and it seems to be required for me to find out on the sites I have tried so far (Verizon Fios, etc...).

I live in the Midwest currently, and have always had a small regional company as my internet provider. Apparently those aren't a thing in that part of Virginia? :laugh:

Any input on which internet provider to use would be appreciated! I've not had cable in about 5 years and don't plan on getting it again. But feel free to throw in your 2 cents on that as well if you feel like being extra helpful.

Also, I actually make decent money for once in my life, so I am hoping to attend some Pens/Caps games. I always thought of the Capitals as more of a "friendly" rival, but I wanted to ask if that feeling is mutual? aka, I'd never go to a game in Philadelphia by myself or wear much Pens gear due to all the knuckleheads. I have the impression that Caps' crowds are a rather congenial bunch, but figured I'd ask if there was anything to be concerned of beyond good-natured ribbing or some banter.

Thanks all!

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
It'll be Comcast, Cox, or Verizon Fios as your ISP.

Cox is the worst, IMO. I've been happy with comcast,but both them and Fios get mixed reviews.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
You've got nothing to fear at a Caps game, especially regular season. I've never seen a fight there that wasn't instigated by a Flyers or Rangers fan, and those were in the playoffs. There are sure to be plenty of Pens fans too, unfortunately. As for internet providers, yeah, there aren't really any that stand out as being better than the rest. Just avoid Cox if you can.

member 51464

Thanks for the feedback, team. I think I'll go with Fios probably since that is what the people before me had in the condo. Seems like reasonable prices and such.

Once I move I'll probably bump this and bother you all about other random ****. Thanks again!

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I've got friends who hate Fios. They're all hit or miss.

This. I have both comcast and cox and they are about the same. Dad has fios and he tends to get all type of weird billing issues and it is tough calling in to get support. But the HD quality is clearly superior for Fios as well as number of HD chans.

member 51464

Interesting. If I am going without cable,and just want to get internet, would that make Fios seem less superior overall?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I have had both FIOS and Comcast. All in all, they seem very similar to me. FIOS maybe gets the edge.

It may be wise to change between the 2 when your contract runs out.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Have to admit..I am currently working in tysons area and have been even back to the HS years working at TRU where is now a Best Buy. Cant escape it. Not that it really matters. Thankfully working a PST type schedule is so....

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I have FIOS, have had Comcast. Really doesn't matter, I picked based on the best deal, when they could install and personal preference for a few channels. I would see what the deal is cost wise and when they can install and go with it.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
FiOS has been nothing short of spectacular for me. But Verizon's cable boxes are ****. Also I hear their customer service is terrible (but I've never had to use it).

member 51464

how are you going to watch the caps with no cable??

I would just wait until the Pens come to town and go watch the game in person!

The Fios deal looks pretty solid. Word on the street is that the ETF is $360 but goes down $10 every month. But my savings each month of year 1 is $25. So I can cancel at the end of year one, pay the ETF, still come out ahead, and switch to the other internet company. Boom :laugh:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I had Comcast internet without cable for a while and it worked out pretty well.

FiOS has been nothing short of spectacular for me. But Verizon's cable boxes are ****. Also I hear their customer service is terrible (but I've never had to use it).

...and if you're going to get Comcast cable as well, this is most definitely true. Their cable boxes are antiquated and they like to push out updates which marginally improve one thing while breaking 5 others. If you call and hassle them enough they'll give you HBO for free indefinitely though.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
i hope your job is also in tysons.....otherwise.....i hope you can get a huge prescription for xanax before you move out here cause the traffic will make you want to go postal. LOL

it's a giant suckfest the way the whole area is laid out, but once you figure out where roads get you to and dont, then it's easier save for the amount of time you waste.

heaven help you if you need to go from tysons into vienna down 123 around 5 oclock.

i had fios while in va ( vienna ), replaced cox service that was atrocious, and i only had one outage, due to an issue with fios, in 6+ years. fios has the luxury of having brand new ( or newer than all the others ) infrastructure, which goes a long way in determining service levels.

since youre going to be in a condo the weak link is going to be the wiring in the condo itself, then possibly the unit's wiring, regardless of how good the service/signal to it is.

it will probably be a slight PITA, but prior to getting any provider, knock on some doors and ask your ( new ) neighbors what they have, and what they think about it. if you talk to enough people, you should get a good idea on what works well, and what doesnt. plus, it'll give you an opportunity to meet your neighbors, maybe even a "nice" single girl....assuming your single yourself....ha ha.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
i hope your job is also in tysons.....otherwise.....i hope you can get a huge prescription for xanax before you move out here cause the traffic will make you want to go postal. LOL

it's a giant suckfest the way the whole area is laid out, but once you figure out where roads get you to and dont, then it's easier save for the amount of time you waste.

heaven help you if you need to go from tysons into vienna down 123 around 5 oclock.

i had fios while in va ( vienna ), replaced cox service that was atrocious, and i only had one outage, due to an issue with fios, in 6+ years. fios has the luxury of having brand new ( or newer than all the others ) infrastructure, which goes a long way in determining service levels.

since youre going to be in a condo the weak link is going to be the wiring in the condo itself, then possibly the unit's wiring, regardless of how good the service/signal to it is.

it will probably be a slight PITA, but prior to getting any provider, knock on some doors and ask your ( new ) neighbors what they have, and what they think about it. if you talk to enough people, you should get a good idea on what works well, and what doesnt. plus, it'll give you an opportunity to meet your neighbors, maybe even a "nice" single girl....assuming your single yourself....ha ha.

Yeah 123 in rush hour is a nightmare. Grew up in three different places in Vienna. Parents still live up off of Beulah Road. Been a while since I've experienced working the schedule that I am but man I bet its worse then I remembered. Trying to make a 5pm class at GMU back in the day suxored.

Definitely the challenge for anyone moving into the NOVA area that the commute has to be up there in the priority as it can get brutal fast. Had a great coworker that left just because their commute from Purcellville was too brutal.

member 51464

Yeah, I read in some other forums that the key to a happy live in Northern Virginia is to live as close as possible to work :laugh:

I will actually be working at a school on 193. So hopefully the fact I will be going north in the morning and south at night will make the commute suck slightly less?

My interviews were actually all phone and Skype and I have not been to the area yet. Maybe you can help me out with something. My place is more-or-less near the Capital One Bank HQ (close to where 123 and 495 cross). My workplace is on 193 and appears to be just about midway between 495 and 123. Would I be better served going to work on 123 or on 495? Or will they both suck ridiculously, regardless?

Yeah 123 in rush hour is a nightmare. Grew up in three different places in Vienna. Parents still live up off of Beulah Road. Been a while since I've experienced working the schedule that I am but man I bet its worse then I remembered. Trying to make a 5pm class at GMU back in the day suxored.

Definitely the challenge for anyone moving into the NOVA area that the commute has to be up there in the priority as it can get brutal fast. Had a great coworker that left just because their commute from Purcellville was too brutal.
Wow, someone left a job due solely to the commute? Jesus....

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

Purcellville is 40 minutes away from Tysons with no traffic. Anyone choosing to live that far away from a job they have to commute to during normal hours who isn't fine sitting in traffic is an idiot.

And anyone trying to go from Tysons to Vienna at 5 PM down 123 is also an idiot. I work in Tysons and live in Vienna. There are a ton of back road options to get to almost anywhere. Learn them and you'll be fine.

Also the new HOT lanes have made 495 a lot better IMO so that isn't nearly as bad an option as it used to be.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Yeah, I read in some other forums that the key to a happy live in Northern Virginia is to live as close as possible to work :laugh:

I will actually be working at a school on 193. So hopefully the fact I will be going north in the morning and south at night will make the commute suck slightly less?

My interviews were actually all phone and Skype and I have not been to the area yet. Maybe you can help me out with something. My place is more-or-less near the Capital One Bank HQ (close to where 123 and 495 cross). My workplace is on 193 and appears to be just about midway between 495 and 123. Would I be better served going to work on 123 or on 495? Or will they both suck ridiculously, regardless?

123 (or better yet, small back roads). Rules of living in Northern Virginia:

#1: If you can avoid driving, do.
#2: If you MUST drive and can avoid 66, do.
#3: If you MUST drive and can avoid the Beltway, do.
#4: If you MUST drive and can avoid 50, do.
#5: Be a dick or you won't last long.

Personally I would have moved the **** out of Purcellville, because **** that.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Wow, a lot of people from Vienna in this thread... Anyone here have a Mustang and a Don't Tread On Me flag?

Gotta love the back roads around 123. I use them so much I'll take them reflexively, regardless of the traffic on 123. Although even Church St can get backed up during rush hour.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Wow, a lot of people from Vienna in this thread... Anyone here have a Mustang and a Don't Tread On Me flag?

Gotta love the back roads around 123. I use them so much I'll take them reflexively, regardless of the traffic on 123. Although even Church St can get backed up during rush hour.

When I commuted that direction I would always take the roads on the other side of 123 behind the Popeye's/GameStop/Chipotle.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
When I commuted that direction I would always take the roads on the other side of 123 behind the Popeye's/GameStop/Chipotle.

yeah, i used that as well, the choke point though was the intersection of locust and park....:rant:

as for being dumb by taking 123 from tysons.....yes, there are many back roads one can take, but everybody else knows them as well, just not everybody chooses to use them for various reasons - tons of stop signs, no thru traffic times, choked intersections ( like mentioned above, speed traps, etc. ) and depending on where one lives in vienna, some arent all that better than 123.

to the op, depending on what school it is on GTpike, you could go a couple different ways. the beltway is the "fastest" to 193, but on any given day it's a crap shoot. an accident 15 miles away in MD will impact the inner loop in VA in no time. when it rains....snows...or either is predicted to happen...LOL theres also lewinsville, balls hill, swinks mill...all get you up to GTpike.

the pike is a major artery, for the high steppin' folks living in great falls and mclean, to get on/off the beltway. the traffic there is a mess at rush hour, so keep that in mind if you have to go through it - over the beltway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad