OT: Moving to Ottawa

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
Thanks guys. Husband works in Kanata so has to be within reasonable commuting distance. I’ll be honest I don’t really want to move as Calgary is great and the weather seems to be a lot better (no humidity and the Chinook in the winter). Rental houses are a lot cheaper though and they have air con woo hoo. I need to move within public transit area as I don’t drive. You don’t have a train system do you?

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
I’ll be working and son will be going to school to get better Diploma grades then to college/Uni

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Thanks guys. Husband works in Kanata so has to be within reasonable commuting distance. I’ll be honest I don’t really want to move as Calgary is great and the weather seems to be a lot better (no humidity and the Chinook in the winter). Rental houses are a lot cheaper though and they have air con woo hoo. I need to move within public transit area as I don’t drive. You don’t have a train system do you?
2314907896_81b6266d08_b.jpg

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
So the light rail is there now? Husband never mentioned it, he’s lived there for a 13 months already

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Lmao okay bub. Why so hostile over something so stupidly trivial? Was it too hard for you to simply state what brewery you had in mind?

Well, since you've already confused "area" and "city" so far, I'm not exactly sure I see a point in spelling things out for you.

But, go on. Call me a big bad meeeaaanie.

Reactions: ThePriorityDeal

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
Husband has said no way to Gatineau as it’s a pain to commute to/from. Goood for cheaper wine though apparently

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
PS google maps also say Falkland Islands (Malvinas) they are never the Malvinas as they are British and we beat Argentina when they tried to claim them so Google maps cannot be relied on

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Husband has said no way to Gatineau as it’s a pain to commute to/from. Goood for cheaper wine though apparently

... Hull is actually great IF you are working downtown Ottawa. Gatineau is a bit of pain. Better since Rapibus, still a pain otherwise.

Of course, if you're aren't working Downtown Ottawa, then don't even think about it.

Wine is GENERALLY cheaper in Ontario
Commercial (macro) beer is cheaper in Québec. Imports and Craft are generally cheaper in Ontario.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
... Hull is actually great IF you are working downtown Ottawa. Gatineau is a bit of pain. Better since Rapibus, still a pain otherwise.

Of course, if you're aren't working Downtown Ottawa, then don't even think about it.

Wine is GENERALLY cheaper in Ontario
Commercial (macro) beer is cheaper in Québec. Imports and Craft are generally cheaper in Ontario.

Unless you're looking for a lot. Bud Light, Canadian, Stella, Kronenbourg and some others are available at Costco for hilariously cheap

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Equator is the hip coffee place now.

As far as beer goes, I like Beyond the Pale and Dominion City is doing some interesting stuff now. Tooth and Nail is a good one and I do like the Flora Hall location even if their beers aren’t quite up to the same standard.

Small Pony is great to sate your thirst for sours. Jam Hands is a good one.

Bar Lupulus does tap takeovers and rare pours pretty regularly. You can get Bellwoods in a few places around town including Crust and Crate.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Has a real fake gross vibe. Full of people I don’t want to see. So beware, you might feel the same.

Yeah westboro rivals the glebe now for hipster douchebags. And it's getting expeeeeeensive.

Even hintonburg is going that way now. Little Italy is probably next.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Other way around.

Gatineau residents, who want a good price on wine, will often find it in Ottawa, and it's vice versa for Beer.

I'm not a Wine drinker, but this is what I've gleaned from friends who are, and selection is different between the two provinces.

Every long weekend a number of Depanneurs in Gatineau run specials on beer.

Civic%20Holiday%20NCS10080464-01%20(1)(2).jpg

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Yeah westboro rivals the glebe now for hipster *****ebags. And it's getting expeeeeeensive.

Even hintonburg is going that way now. Little Italy is probably next.

I moved here a year ago, I was told that the glebe is the rich snobby place and to go to Westboro. I looked at prices there and its the same price as living downtown pretty much. Hintonburg is pretty much the same in terms of pricing and hipsterish.

Don't get me wrong, they are really cool places to hang out. Looks of cool local businesses and shops (hence the appeal to live there). But I got a way better deal DT, and now I can walk to work. I just bike out to Westboro if I want to hang out there

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Ah man, don’t hate the Silver Bullet. That’s summer in a can.

I won't apologize for liking food and drinks that taste like food and drinks. If other people enjoy beers like Coors Lite, good for them. It's just not for me, that's all. It's clearly a popular beer and people have every right to enjoy what they like, and if that's a beer like Coors, or Old Milwaukee, or Michelob, then that's great. I'd rather just have water at that point. That's just me.

Like... If I'm going to indulge and drink my daily calories in beer, I might as well be drinking something that tastes like beer.

24 bottles of Kronenbourg 1664 for $28 is a great deal, though.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Has a real fake gross vibe. Full of people I don’t want to see. So beware, you might feel the same.

No wonder we don’t get along.

The only thing worse than people from Westboro are people who hate other people because they’re from Westboro.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

The only thing worse than people from Westboro are people who hate other people because they’re from Westboro.

And the only thing worse than people from Westboro, and people who hate other people because they're from Westboro, are people who hate people who hate people because they're from Westboro.

And the only thing worse than THOSE people are the people who hate people who hate people who hate people because they're from Westboro.

And then after that, it's just Nazis all the way down.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Westboro would be awesome if it wasn't for the people

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
i still think the glebe has westboro beat for frenchshower-bag factor. anyone i've ever met from the glebe has made a point to tell me they're from the glebe within the first 5 minutes of meeting-- its a defining personality feature for almost all of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad