Moving to Germany

HydratedByStormBrew

Sep 26, 2022
Rally, NC
Moving to Germany for 2-3 years. I’ll be in Western Germany around an hours drive from Frankfurt.

First, how do I watch NHL games? And can I watch them ‘on-demand’ - is there a service provided that will let me watch games the day after?

Secondly, I’m looking to get involved in the DHL and will likely attend many Lowen Frankfurt games. Any advice at all in this regard? I want to enjoy hockey in Europe as much as possible.

I’m a Hurricanes fan and will certainly miss seeing them in person for the next few years but my family and I are unbelievably excited to have the opportunity to live in Germany for a few years.

Reactions: pgfan66

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Moving to Germany for 2-3 years. I’ll be in Western Germany around an hours drive from Frankfurt.

First, how do I watch NHL games? And can I watch them ‘on-demand’ - is there a service provided that will let me watch games the day after?

Secondly, I’m looking to get involved in the DHL and will likely attend many Lowen Frankfurt games. Any advice at all in this regard? I want to enjoy hockey in Europe as much as possible.

I’m a Hurricanes fan and will certainly miss seeing them in person for the next few years but my family and I are unbelievably excited to have the opportunity to live in Germany for a few years.
You can use NHL TV to watch NHL games if you want to have access to all games and on-demand. Otherwise, select games are shown on Sky (and wow tv, which is just the cheaper web version of Sky).

Regarding DEL games, no real advice but Frankfurt is a good place to be. They have a smaller rink with passionate fans and good atmosphere. Depending on where you'll be living exactly, either the Kölner Haie or Adler Mannheim should be close as well. Köln (Cologne) is 2 hours north of Frankfurt while Mannheim is less than an hour south. They both have big rinks and both are worth a visit.

The one thing you might want to know beforehand is that there are designated home and visiting fan sections. Generally, seats are mixed but standing room is for the home fans, plus a smaller visiting section (usually in one of the corners opposite of the home fans). So make sure you don't accidentally end up in the visiting section (visitors = Gäste, away = auswärts in German, both of those terms may be used in designating the rink sections), unless you want to visit Mannheim or Cologne as a Löwen fan. ;)

Good luck for you and your family! Germany is a great country.

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
Well in Frankfurt you get to see your "former" Hurrican prospect Bokk. :thumbu:
Frankfurt definitly fun place to watch hockey in Germany. Mannheim definitly worth a visit especially when they play Frankfurt.
Cologne vs Dusseldorf always worth going as wel,l we Germans love regional rivlaries. They do have very special atmosphere on the ice and in the stands.

Reactions: HydratedByStormBrew

HydratedByStormBrew

Sep 26, 2022
Rally, NC
You can use NHL TV to watch NHL games if you want to have access to all games and on-demand. Otherwise, select games are shown on Sky (and wow tv, which is just the cheaper web version of Sky).

Regarding DEL games, no real advice but Frankfurt is a good place to be. They have a smaller rink with passionate fans and good atmosphere. Depending on where you'll be living exactly, either the Kölner Haie or Adler Mannheim should be close as well. Köln (Cologne) is 2 hours north of Frankfurt while Mannheim is less than an hour south. They both have big rinks and both are worth a visit.

The one thing you might want to know beforehand is that there are designated home and visiting fan sections. Generally, seats are mixed but standing room is for the home fans, plus a smaller visiting section (usually in one of the corners opposite of the home fans). So make sure you don't accidentally end up in the visiting section (visitors = Gäste, away = auswärts in German, both of those terms may be used in designating the rink sections), unless you want to visit Mannheim or Cologne as a Löwen fan. ;)

Good luck for you and your family! Germany is a great country.

Thank you for the lengthy reply, we are here and settling in. I have the NHL.tv package, but only able to access it via my cell phone and laptop. My TVs have it as an app to download but prevent me from downloading it "due to being in an improper region/country". I'm not using a VPN, not a deal breaker but it is annoying having to connect my laptop to the tv each time I want to watch a game.

I haven't had a chance to go to a Lowen game yet, but hopefully in the near future.

Well in Frankfurt you get to see your "former" Hurrican prospect Bokk. :thumbu:
Frankfurt definitly fun place to watch hockey in Germany. Mannheim definitly worth a visit especially when they play Frankfurt.
Cologne vs Dusseldorf always worth going as wel,l we Germans love regional rivlaries. They do have very special atmosphere on the ice and in the stands.
Thank you!

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Is this now the case that all games are available on NHL.tv?
Last season I tried to use NHL tv to watch the Oilers and I encountered so many blackouts because the games were available on Sky / WOW (which I didn't / don't have), that I ended up cancelling the service. I'm in Berlin btw

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Is this now the case that all games are available on NHL.tv?
Last season I tried to use NHL tv to watch the Oilers and I encountered so many blackouts because the games were available on Sky / WOW (which I didn't / don't have), that I ended up cancelling the service. I'm in Berlin btw

Last I heard sky has acquired the exclusive rights to many games until 2025. So, a lot of games will still be blacked out on NHL.tv.
I cancelled NHL.tv for that reason before this season, and have not watched a single NHL game so far, because I am also not getting sky.

Reactions: Zenos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad