Rumor: Move expected today, Vanek/Vrbata? (update: it's Vanek)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Sounds like Vanek or Vrabata perhaps, using a pick we got from Bolland deal.
Rather just keep the pick.

The thing with Vrbata is the bonuses, he gets like 3 million for making the playoffs. something like that.
1.25M for playoffs total, which is probably 200-300k per round won. He's already earned 2x 500k for games played and pts, but I think those bonuses stay with Yotes since he reached those with them.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
he wont come cheap..

True. But if we want top 9 help and PP help as well, got to pay.

Doubt someone like Vanek would be cheaper.

Edit: all I hope is if we acquire a player for just picks, Malgin goes down again. No sense seeing him on the ice for less than 4th line minutes when he could get top 6 time in the AHL

Ekblad

Mar 10, 2010
Miami, Florida
Either would be better than Hudler or Purcell from last year IMO.

IDK.. I was pretty pumped over getting hudler, he was a good player prior to the trade and an even better player the year before..
Id say go big (jagr replacement) or stay pat and draft new prospects.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
We've all watched this team all season. It's mindblowing they're going to waste a high pick when we have no farm.

Everything is fine

Apr 3, 2016
Vanek makes me nervous. He has a reputation of being lazy but he has put up impressive numbers this year.

Wouldn't be the worst thing for our young players to gain more playoff experience and maybe even win a round.
But still keep the 1st.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
We've all watched this team all season. It's mindblowing they're going to waste a high pick when we have no farm.

I agree, but making the playoffs can be very important to recruit more fans. The Panthers went back to back in the playoffs only once, it would be a pretty big deal even if the team has been mediocre.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
We're 2 pts out. We have to try.

With 2 games against Toronto. That's a potential 8 point swing.

This draft is weak too. Additionally, getting a guy like Vanek or Vrbata could be a good test run for a short term contract.

on the other hand, maybe we offer Vegas these pick(s) to not select an available D.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Its dumb to trade assets for a rental, especially if we are getting a new coach in the off season.

Is it dumb if it's the difference between making the playoffs and not?

They'll have to really assess right now whether the current group can get it done or if they need to upgrade somewhere.

Vrbata, Vanek, Iginla don't get me overly excited to be honest. Personally, I don't think adding 1 player will get us into the playoffs but we will have to wait and see.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Had we not given up that 2nd to get rid of Savard for nothing, trading a 2nd now would be a non-issue. We can't keep bleeding picks when our prospects pool isn't looking that great.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Haven't seen Vanek this year much at all but last year he was slow. Like Hudler/Jags slow. Yeah he'll get some points, just like Hudler last year, but is a pain to watch 5v5.

Vrbata no idea if he still has any wheels left.

Giving up even a second rounder would be tough. Are these guys really difference makers anymore? I mean we are talking about guys who are playing for their lives in the league at this point.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Is it dumb if it's the difference between making the playoffs and not?

They'll have to really assess right now whether the current group can get it done or if they need to upgrade somewhere.

Vrbata, Vanek, Iginla don't get me overly excited to be honest. Personally, I don't think adding 1 player will get us into the playoffs but we will have to wait and see.

I don't see how adding 1 forward will help us. The Jagr and Jokinen spots have to be upgraded this off season.

Not sure they provide enough because they are aging. I hope I am wrong here, but Jagr's lack of speed hurts us defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad