Most Valuable Oiler #7 - Tiebreak (Yakupov vs. Klefbom)

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Exactly. I've voted Sekera since after the top3. MAYBE Eberle could bring back more but it's laughable to think that Drai and Nurse are anywhere near in value to Sekera, not to mention Yak. After the top3 I think I'd go Sekera-Eberle-Klef-Drai-Nurse-Yak. Unproven prospects just don't hold that much value.

Aside from one season Sekera has been a 5G-25pt player all his career with plenty of injuries. With all his health concerns in past I dont think a Sekera signed for 6 more yrs at 5.5M will fetch more than a pending UFA Sekera to a contender @ 2.5M.

Klefbom at his age, performance and salary > Sekera in terms of trade value.

Name 15 teams who would take Sekera over Klefbom in this new NHL.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I voted Yaks, it was very close though. I agree Klef is a huge asset, but I also think people are selling yak short. He looked like a differnt player post Eakins last year. I think he will round into the 35 goal 60-70 point type player after all. That is a pretty dam valuable asset.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I voted Yaks, it was very close though. I agree Klef is a huge asset, but I also think people are selling yak short. He looked like a differnt player post Eakins last year. I think he will round into the 35 goal 60-70 point type player after all. That is a pretty dam valuable asset.

way too many question marks with Yak... He is closer to Schultz in value than Nurse due to uncertainty.
Love Yak but wouldnt vote for him until after Klefbom, Pouliot, Sekera and even Talbot are off the board. Ahead of Reinhart, Schultz and Lander though.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
way too many question marks with Yak... He is closer to Schultz in value than Nurse due to uncertainty.
Love Yak but wouldnt vote for him until after Klefbom, Pouliot, Sekera and even Talbot are off the board. Ahead of Reinhart, Schultz and Lander though.

He is what 21? of course there are question marks. There are question marks around Klef too. But you are just selling short his upside. You have bought into the bust mentality. He still has a very high upside.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Aside from one season Sekera has been a 5G-25pt player all his career with plenty of injuries. With all his health concerns in past I dont think a Sekera signed for 6 more yrs at 5.5M will fetch more than a pending UFA Sekera to a contender @ 2.5M.

Again, proven players >> all.

Look at Niklas Hjalmarssons numbers. He has never scored more than 4 goals in a season and has a whopping point average of 17,4. Yes, he has managed to stay slightly more healthy but Sekera has only missed more than 13 games once in his NHL career and he had a 44pt season only two years ago. At 29 years and 486 NHL games he is not old and anyway you put it, his contract is not bad at all.

I can agree that Klefbom is a valuable piece and might surpass Sekera in value after this season, but as of right now Sekera has more value. And if you read my post you'll have noticed I had Klefbom even higher than Nurse and Drai because I do indeed think he is very valuable. Like Hjalmarsson, Sekera is a #3 guy who can sub in on the top pairing. That's incredibly valuable in todays NHL. You just can't win without experienced d-men. It's not a coincidence Kings and Hawks have been so successful the last few years and it's also not a coincidence Hawks chose to deal their Klefbom in Leddy to keep Hjalmarsson and Oduya around.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
Marincin has nothing to do with this discussion.

He's a good example of people basing their opinions on the 'what have you done for me lately' mindset that is so prevalent around here.

Also...in what universe did Yak perform as a good 2nd line winger?
He was a disaster defensively and needed to be sheltered every time he stepped on the ice. Its hard to even figure out who to play him with for that reason.
He has a longs ways to go before anybody can suggest that he is a good 2nd line winger.

OK now I'm not sure if you're even reading any of these posts or if you're just skimming.
IF the question were "who is most valuable to the Oilers this season" AND we were talking about these guys each playing at a reasonably high level of play in order to make a fair comparison, Klefbom is easily the more valuable player to us.

Klefbom on the other hand plays a much tougher position and was also playing against better competition. So he has learned a much tougher position in almost 1/3 of the time.
I have no idea why you refuse to acknowledge this.

I have no idea when this was ever even the topic of conversation, let alone refusing to acknowledge it.

Clearly, we're on 2 different tracks here.

I asked you how you could possibly rate Klefbom's ceiling that high while putting Yakupov's that low. You clarified that 'ceiling' to you = your opinion on how likely a player is to reach potential. I disagree. I'd define it as what the common belief is on their peak potential; whereas how you think they are likely to reach that potential is a different topic. But whatever; no longer the point.

Then somehow we go from that to you thinking that I'm making this a Yakupov vs. Klefbom argument? I'm not. At all. It actually couldn't be more irrelevant to what I was saying. We're just talking about who you believe has the higher trade value to other teams. Again, I believe Yakupov does, slightly, while acknowledging that IMO it's a total crap shoot that would probably change from GM to GM.

Last edited:

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
I have high hopes Yakupov will make this poll look incredibly stupid by this time next year

He might but this poll is about todays value not next years. If he proves himself this year it's incredibly likely he'd skyrocket in value but as of right now it's pretty damn low.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He is what 21? of course there are question marks. There are question marks around Klef too. But you are just selling short his upside. You have bought into the bust mentality. He still has a very high upside.

They are both 21. One has a lot more major issues to work on than the other to be considered an impact NHLer. Yak really needs to dumb down his game and just be a triggerman in the NHL. His upside is 30-30-60, 250shots\season playing sheltered hockey.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Yak is like a good value stock. Buy low, sell high.

His potential is very high. I think with a better team, new coaching and new management his "stock" and his value will take off. I know that this is not exactly the criteria provided but I still think that Yak is very valuable right now so I took him.

I love Klef, too.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton

Funny how people don't understand this

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad