Most Valuable Oiler #7 - Tiebreak (Yakupov vs. Klefbom)

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Between Nail Yakupov and Oscar Klefbom, who do you think is the most valuable Oiler?

Consider age, contract, injury history, positional value, leadership, potential, etc... Ignore team need. One way of thinking of it would be: in a trade to a neutral team, who would bring the greatest return?

2015 Offseason Results:
*new to 2015-2016 Oilers roster
^unranked in 2014-2015
#tiebreak

2014 Offseason Results:
[collapse=table]
Rank|Name|Vote|Δ
1| Taylor Hall|96%|--
2| Ryan Nugent-Hopkins|84%|--
3| Jordan Eberle|59%|+1
4| Nail Yakupov|43%|-1
5| Leon Draisaitl |39%|*
6| Darnell Nurse |39%|+6
7| David Perron |52%|+4
8| Justin Schultz |63%|-3
9| Martin Marincin # |30%|^
10| Oscar Klefbom # |34%|-2
11| Ben Scrivens |45%|*
12| Jeff Petry |67%|-2
13| Mark Fayne |66%|*
14| Benoit Pouliot |38%|*
15| Boyd Gordon |43%|-1
16| Victor Fasth |36%|*
17| Andrew Ference # |28%|-4
18| Teddy Purcell |37%|*
19| Nikita Nikitin # |34%|*
20| Marc Acrobello |52%|^
*new to 2014-2015 Oilers roster
^unranked in 2013-2014
#tiebreak
[/collapse]2013 Offseason Results:
[collapse=table2]*not on 2014-2015 Oilers roster[/collapse]

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I get the love for Yakupov, but I really think Klefbom has shown more here.

We keep talking about Yak's potential, but he needs to demonstrate it on the ice.

Plus, in terms of value to the Oilers, Klefbom as an actual top 4 d-man is of more value than another mediocre scoring winger.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
voted#77
In a trade to neutral team Klefbom will get a better return this year.

J4M13M

Jun 4, 2014
Saint John NB
I love Nail, but in a vaccuum, defencemen are worth more than wingers.

Hopefully Nail shows enough this season to move up next year's rankings, but I feel his trade value is lower than Klefbom's.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
This is an easy poll. I maintain that Yakupov having this much value right now is nothing but wishful thinking. I want him to have this much value, but he doesn't right now.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This is an easy poll. I maintain that Yakupov having this much value right now is nothing but wishful thinking. I want him to have this much value, but he doesn't right now.

I agree.

This is a poll between a potential top pairing dman and a potential 2nd line winger.

This is pretty easy.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
At this point Klefbom is a better player than Yaks IMO.

I hope Yakuppov brings it this year though. We've been waiting too long for his breakout.

Eakins never helped the matter of course.

destro909

Jan 3, 2008
I missed the original #7 poll, but I can't see how either of these players could be considered more valuable than Sekera.

When Sekera was traded at the deadline, he got back a 1st round pick and a prospect who was a 2nd round pick at the last draft. This was when he was a pending UFA. Now that he is signed for 6 years on a decent contract, you have to think he would be worth even more.

In a trade with a neutral team, I can't imagine Klefbom or Yakupov would bring in a better return than Sekera.

Cultra

No, not vengeance. Punishment.
Jun 15, 2010
I missed the original #7 poll, but I can't see how either of these players could be considered more valuable than Sekera.

When Sekera was traded at the deadline, he got back a 1st round pick and a prospect who was a 2nd round pick at the last draft. This was when he was a pending UFA. Now that he is signed for 6 years on a decent contract, you have to think he would be worth even more.

In a trade with a neutral team, I can't imagine Klefbom or Yakupov would bring in a better return than Sekera.

Agreed, I would've had Sekera top 5 most valuable. Infact, I'd have even put him right after Hall.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Exactly. I've voted Sekera since after the top3. MAYBE Eberle could bring back more but it's laughable to think that Drai and Nurse are anywhere near in value to Sekera, not to mention Yak. After the top3 I think I'd go Sekera-Eberle-Klef-Drai-Nurse-Yak. Unproven prospects just don't hold that much value.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Exactly. I've voted Sekera since after the top3. MAYBE Eberle could bring back more but it's laughable to think that Drai and Nurse are anywhere near in value to Sekera, not to mention Yak. After the top3 I think I'd go Sekera-Eberle-Klef-Drai-Nurse-Yak. Unproven prospects just don't hold that much value.
Nurse and Drai would have more value due to the rarity if their skillset and they are both considered top 10 prospects and still have a lot of years of cost controlled years.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
I agree.

This is a poll between a potential top pairing dman and a potential 2nd line winger.

This is pretty easy.

Ok this is just bias.
You can't have Klefbom with a top end of #1-2 and then call Yakupov's ceiling as second line at best.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Ok this is just bias.
You can't have Klefbom with a top end of #1-2 and then call Yakupov's ceiling as second line at best.

I think Klefboms top end is a #2 dman. He has all the elements in his game to be that player. Very smart player.

I dont think that Yaks top end is a 1st line player. Too many holes in his game and for me he just doesnt think the game at a high enough level.

No bias...just observation.

IMO dmen have more value than wingers and dmen with top pairing potential are much more valuable than 2nd line wingers. This poll is a no brainer.

To be honest I dont get these poll threads anyway...how can an important player like Sekera not even be an option? :dunno:

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
40% of you think Yak is more valuable than Klef? good grief. some never learn.

Hah. What'd you learn from Marincin? A year ago the majority had him over Klefbom...a bad season and he's traded for water bottles. What-have-you-done-for-me-lately, much? Some of you are so fickle it's ridiculous.

Yakupov's not done. Give him a little more time away from Eakins, and some games in an actual system with quality linemates.

Cultra

No, not vengeance. Punishment.
Jun 15, 2010
Hah. What'd you learn from Marincin? A year ago the majority had him over Klefbom...a bad season and he's traded for water bottles. What-have-you-done-for-me-lately, much? Some of you are so fickle it's ridiculous.

Yakupov's not done. Give him a little more time away from Eakins, and some games in an actual system with quality linemates.

He may not be done, but so many people on here were willing to wait on Gagner forever as well. This is starting to head in that direction and quite frankly, we can't afford to wait forever.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
I think Klefboms top end is a #2 dman. He has all the elements in his game to be that player. Very smart player.

I dont think that Yaks top end is a 1st line player. Too many holes in his game and for me he just doesnt think the game at a high enough level.

No bias...just observation.

IMO dmen have more value than wingers and dmen with top pairing potential are much more valuable than 2nd line wingers. This poll is a no brainer.

To be honest I dont get these poll threads anyway...how can an important player like Sekera not even be an option? :dunno:

I just don't see how you can list potential that way. I don't think Klefbom will be a #2 (hope I'm wrong there) but I wouldn't argue that it's not his ceiling. There's a difference there, IMO, between what a players ceiling is and whether a person believes they'll get there.
Folks can think Yak's never going to put it together, too many holes, whatever...but the fact that he's a 21 year old #1 overall should be enough to say that his ceiling is still that of an elite forward. If he were 26 I could understand a 'no realistic chance' argument, but not at 21.

Agreed on Sekera. I would have him over both.

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton

This is correct. Some people seem to think this is a "who is more important to the Oilers" poll, not "who would get more in a trade".

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
He may not be done, but so many people on here were willing to wait on Gagner forever as well. This is starting to head in that direction and quite frankly, we can't afford to wait forever.

We gave Gagner 7 years and a heck of a lot of opportunities on the top lines. Yak's had 3 seasons, 2 of those with Eakins seemingly doing everything he could to make him fail.

I'm not saying he doesn't have holes or that he'll turn into Stamkos, but he's 21 and hasn't had anything even close to what I'd call a fair shake.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I just don't see how you can list potential that way. I don't think Klefbom will be a #2 (hope I'm wrong there) but I wouldn't argue that it's not his ceiling. There's a difference there, IMO, between what a players ceiling is and whether a person believes they'll get there.
Folks can think Yak's never going to put it together, too many holes, whatever...but the fact that he's a 21 year old #1 overall should be enough to say that his ceiling is still that of an elite forward. If he were 26 I could understand a 'no realistic chance' argument, but not at 21.

I happen to see much more in Klefboms game that leads me to believe he will have more of an impact on this team than Yak.
Defence is a much tougher position to play and Klefbom is already starting to excel and show his potential after playing 77 NHL games....less than half of the games Yak has played.

I like parts of Yaks game but the important parts are lacking.
He simply doesn't think the game very well and he still struggles mightily with his defensive assignments. He will be 22 to start the year and this is his 4th NHL season (192 NHL games) and he still has to be sheltered. He needs to start figuring a few things out sooner rather than later. I am not yet convinced Yak understands that his game is lacking because the sense of urgency to play defence is not there and he looks lost all to often.

Also...the title of this poll is "who is more valuable". This team would be hurting big time without Klefbom but it would get by just fine without Yak IMO.

Agreed on Sekera. I would have him over both.

Yeah...this poll is baffling in that regard.

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
Also...the title of this poll is "who is more valuable". This team would be hurting big time without Klefbom but it would get by just fine without Yak IMO.

That may be the title, but read the OP for the specific definition of what this poll is asking. It's not "who is more important to the Oilers".

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That may be the title, but read the OP for the specific definition of what this poll is asking. It's not "who is more important to the Oilers".

Its still a no brainer IMO.

Klefbom over Yak 10 times out of 10.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
The only '77 games' thing works the other way too though. People thought Yak and Marincin were elite after 48 & 44.

The title of this thread is so misleading. Wasn't it this way last year too, and everyone complained? It says "Most Valuable"...as in most valuable to the Oilers success this coming season? Klefbom AINEC. Yakupov performs like a very good second line W for a full season...good. Klefbom performs like a very good 2nd pair D for a full season...amazing.

But it goes on to say that we are to use the definition "Who Has More Trade Value"...Yakupov over Klefbom by a narrow margin, in my opinion. That one is real tough to gauge and it probably varies wildly from GM to GM.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The only '77 games' thing works the other way too though. People thought Yak and Marincin were elite after 48 & 44.

The title of this thread is so misleading. Wasn't it this way last year too, and everyone complained? It says "Most Valuable"...as in most valuable to the Oilers success this coming season? Klefbom AINEC. Yakupov performs like a very good second line W for a full season...good. Klefbom performs like a very good 2nd pair D for a full season...amazing.

But it goes on to say that we are to use the definition "Who Has More Trade Value"...Yakupov over Klefbom by a narrow margin, in my opinion. That one is real tough to gauge and it probably varies wildly from GM to GM.

Marincin has nothing to do with this discussion.

Also...in what universe did Yak perform as a good 2nd line winger?
He was a disaster defensively and needed to be sheltered every time he stepped on the ice. Its hard to even figure out who to play him with for that reason.

He has a longs ways to go before anybody can suggest that he is a good 2nd line winger.

Klefbom on the other hand plays a much tougher position and was also playing against better competition. So he has learned a much tougher position in almost 1/3 of the time.

I have no idea why you refuse to acknowledge this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad