Most Valuable Oiler #4

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Who do you think is the next most valuable Oiler?

Consider age, contract, injury history, positional value, leadership, potential, etc... Ignore team need. One way of thinking of it would be: in a trade to a neutral team, who would bring the greatest return?

2015 Offseason Results:
*new to 2015-2016 Oilers roster
^unranked in 2014-2015
#tiebreak

2014 Offseason Results:
[collapse=table]
Rank|Name|Vote|Δ
1| Taylor Hall|96%|--
2| Ryan Nugent-Hopkins|84%|--
3| Jordan Eberle|59%|+1
4| Nail Yakupov|43%|-1
5| Leon Draisaitl |39%|*
6| Darnell Nurse |39%|+6
7| David Perron |52%|+4
8| Justin Schultz |63%|-3
9| Martin Marincin # |30%|^
10| Oscar Klefbom # |34%|-2
11| Ben Scrivens |45%|*
12| Jeff Petry |67%|-2
13| Mark Fayne |66%|*
14| Benoit Pouliot |38%|*
15| Boyd Gordon |43%|-1
16| Victor Fasth |36%|*
17| Andrew Ference # |28%|-4
18| Teddy Purcell |37%|*
19| Nikita Nikitin # |34%|*
20| Marc Acrobello |52%|^
*new to 2014-2015 Oilers roster
^unranked in 2013-2014
#tiebreak
[/collapse]2013 Offseason Results:
[collapse=table2]*not on 2014-2015 Oilers roster[/collapse]

Last edited:

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Darnell Nurse for me. If he becomes as good a player as we're hoping, then we've found our defensive anchor for the next 12 years.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Nurse. If he pans out and meets his top pairing potential, we're set for a decade. If he doesn't, it means trading Draisaitl for defence IMO.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Eberle, Nurse is probably our second most valuable prospect, but until he makes an impact in the NHL, the proven first liner gets my vote.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
voted for the small , one dimensional overpaid winger :)

EpSoNiight

Nov 14, 2013
There is no way nurse has more value than eberle in a trade. Do you guys even read the criteria?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
There is no way nurse has more value than eberle in a trade. Do you guys even read the criteria?

depends on a team I guess... Would CHI prefer Nurse over Eberle? Yes ..
BOS? Yes .. Eberle IMO holds more value to the Oilers.

EpSoNiight

Nov 14, 2013
Good thing it's an opinion poll.
Nurse has played a grand total of 2 NHL games. Eberle has consistently produced at a first liners pace, on a very good contract and is still young. Love to hear how in a trade to a neutral team, nurse holds more value. I could understand more value than yak or drai, but not ebs

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Nurse has played a grand total of 2 NHL games. Eberle has consistently produced at a first liners pace, on a very good contract and is still young. Love to hear how in a trade to a neutral team, nurse holds more value. I could understand more value than yak or drai, but not ebs

McDavid has played a grand total of 0 NHL games.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton

I mean, I'm not making that argument. You can brew it up if you want though.

I just really like me some Darnell Nurse.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Is nurse considered generational now?

No but that label is a subjective term and is pretty much meaningless. The fact is that it's perfectly reasonable to value Nurse more than Eberle. Nurse is an extremely rare player in terms of talent and physical attributes.

EpSoNiight

Nov 14, 2013
No but that label is a subjective term and is pretty much meaningless. The fact is that it's perfectly reasonable to value Nurse more than Eberle. Nurse is an extremely rare player in terms of talent and physical attributes.

Sure I can agree with that last statement. Nurse one day could have more value than a trade in eberle and I believe he will once he becomes an NHL regular. But right now, at this moment in time, I can't fathom a team paying more for a prospect d with high upside than a consistent first line winger.

EpSoNiight

Nov 14, 2013
depends on a team I guess... Would CHI prefer Nurse over Eberle? Yes ..
BOS? Yes .. Eberle IMO holds more value to the Oilers.

Also, the poll said ignore team needs. So this argument wouldn't hold either choosing nurse over eberle

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Sure I can agree with that last statement. Nurse one day could have more value than a trade in eberle and I believe he will once he becomes an NHL regular. But right now, at this moment in time, I can't fathom a team paying more for a prospect d with high upside than a consistent first line winger.

How often do defense prospects of Nurse's caliber get traded? Particularly prior to their ELC expiring?

Not to mention the cap flexibility Nurse could provide vs Eberle.

EpSoNiight

Nov 14, 2013
How often do defense prospects of Nurse's caliber get traded? Particularly prior to their ELC expiring?

I still say we we could get a better package in a trade for eberle then we could for nurse. Don't have time to go back and forth in a debate, but I do agree with some points.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
I still say we we could get a better package in a trade for eberle then we could for nurse. Don't have time to go back and forth in a debate, but I do agree with some points.

Totally. Plus a coworker just sent me this...
post-24407-Mr-T-quit-yo-surfin-get-back-t-T5a9.gif

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Hamilton and Reinhart got traded this month :)
Going back a bit.. Phanuef, Luke Schenn, Erik Johnson come to mind

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Hamilton and Reinhart got traded this month :)
Going back a bit.. Phanuef, Luke Schenn, Erik Johnson come to mind

And Reinhart and Johnson are the only players you mentioned traded while still on their ELC, and Johnson was traded at the deadline in his final year. It's very rare to trade a defenseman before teams know what they got.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad