Most Valuable Oiler #3

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Wow Yak is so over rated by oiler fans.

Put a poll up on the main boards, and see who you would rather have now and in the future, the only votes Yak gets are from oiler fans.

Prevailing opinion on the main boards is that Yak is a bust. Do you really think the main boards is the best source of non bias opinion on the Oilers? Get real.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Well, the first 3 were pretty easy.

It's gonna be a bit tougher now.

Allot of different opinions on which player, which size of player, which skillset, which position, etc are better for the team going forward.

I'll probably stick by Schultz for the next one. He is part of the core. But that could change with what we gots coming.

Now I'm thinking Drai. Damned....oh yeah, what about Nurse in 4 or 5 years.....Dooooh. :rant:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
So Im right, thats what I thought :)

If your opinion is being equated to the opinion on the main boards, that's not something to take delight in. A quick 5 second look into any thread will show that

Hall was considered a bust 3 years aago and look how that turned out

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
If your opinion is being equated to the opinion on the main boards, that's not something to take delight in. A quick 5 second look into any thread will show that

Hall was considered a bust 3 years aago and look how that turned out

I dont recall Hall ever being a bust?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I dont recall Hall ever being a bust?

I recall it stated plenty of times on the maim board. All I'm saying is they have little to no knowledge of oiler players, so they subjective and impartial opinions should have no merit in evaluting a player

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Serious right now, Yak is trending more towards a bust than he is a offensive dynamo.

Serious?

Yes Yak is TRENDING poorly right now but so are most the high picks from that draft class.

Rather than follow a trend I would put a lot more stock in his draft predictions since he only has 111 games under his belt and still has a respectable 28 goals in those games to date.

Softmore slumps are incredibly common and the odds of Yak bouncing back are astronomically high.

Anyone who actually believes Yak is a bust because of a bad softmore slump is a complete and utter moron.

The worst someone objective can possible say is that for a first overall he IS doing poorly. As a player with only 111 games played and is only 20 years old the future is still very bright indeed.

EDIT: The main boards and even some other organizations are now projecting negative biased towards the Oilers for tanking and getting 3 first overalls. People gotta hate. I don't really understand it actually. If all our players really were busts we should just be laughed at and pitied. But the open hostility suggests even tho we really suck now, we still technically "Should" end up being a fairly strong team down the road and that upsets people.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
On topic. Forgot why I came to this thread.

Hall is my number one despite being a winger.
RNH is my two who if he gets his mojo back will most likely surpass Hall as my #1.
Shultz because of position/age/potential is my number three.
Leon will be my number four and much like RNH could end up being my number one eventually.
Yak is my fifth pick and would be higher except for the fact he is a winger.
Eberle, Marincin, Perron, Nurse, and Klefbom are all so close but I suppose I would put them in that order.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Until he broke out people were in fact calling him a bust. He never actually was a bust, but people were calling him one.

People expect players to rip the league up the moment they come in, some players take a while.

Nobody ever criticized Hall (on the main board) like they do Yakupov now. The biggest knock on Hall was that he was injury prone which was a valid concern but I don't think anybody questioned his hockey abilities.

I have to say that Yakupov is overrated by Oiler fans. The 1st page of this thread is evidence of that, at the least the first several posts are.
There's no way that Yakupov holds more value than Eberle, there's just no way. Also, I'm not convinced that his upside is higher than Eberle's. People seem to forget that Eberle had 34 goals and 76 points just 2 seasons ago. If Yak ever has even one season like that, we should consider ourselves lucky.

The main board does have an irrational hate for him though. The oddest comments are the ones that praise Galchenyuk and Huberdeau as core players while Yak is headed towards bust territory.
I understand why people like him. He's a likeable kid, he's fun to watch when he's on and he does seem to get unfair treatment from the media but HFOil definitely seems to hold him in higher regard than most other hockey people do mainly based on draft pedigree.
I think his value lies somewhere between what HFOil thinks and what the main board thinks.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I didn't vote for Eberle, but I'm glad to see that the Eberle haters are in the extreme minority

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I didn't vote for Eberle, but I'm glad to see that the Eberle haters are in the extreme minority

I wouldn't say someone is a hater for not choosing Eberle. It was a tough choice, but I went with Draisaitl because solidifying our centre position, and doing it with dat size and skill is very important. I love Eberle, it was a tough choice.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I wouldn't say someone is a hater for not choosing Eberle. It was a tough choice, but I went with Draisaitl because solidifying our centre position, and doing it with dat size and skill is very important. I love Eberle, it was a tough choice.

That's fair, and I didn't mean to imply that not voting for Eberle makes someone an Eberle hater. I just know that a lot of people trashed Eberle for his toe drags and defensive play during the season. The way they talked, Ebs would even be top 10 on this poll.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
That's fair, and I didn't mean to imply that not voting for Eberle makes someone an Eberle hater. I just know that a lot of people trashed Eberle for his toe drags and defensive play during the season. The way they talked, Ebs would even be top 10 on this poll.

He was "meh" last year. Had some serious defensive break downs at times but also a few good ones to balance it out a bit. At the end of the season Ebs wasn't THE problem but he also wasn't the solution or overly "valueable".

Meh.

I think I put him #5 just because as a one dimensional winger his impact is lower than others. I also think if we actually start making the playoffs he could be our best player... but who knows when the heck that could happen.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011

Put a poll up on the main boards, and see who you would rather have now and in the future, the only votes Yak gets are from oiler fans.

Yeah if there's any great gauge of a player's worth - it's the main board of HF Boards. Where there's been polls of Taylor Hall vs. Andrew Ladd with shockingly 50-50 results.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I voted Schultz. love Ebs, but don't see him being number 3 going forward, think it is schultz or yaks.

people forget how Schultz destroyed the AHL 2 years ago. He has the potential to be dynamic.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

don't get this at all, guy was #1. maybe he will be a bust, but lets talk about that in a couple years. right now he is not a bust. just being firs overall alone makes your deserving of high accolades.

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
I voted Schultz. love Ebs, but don't see him being number 3 going forward, think it is schultz or yaks.

people forget how Schultz destroyed the AHL 2 years ago. He has the potential to be dynamic.

AHL is a completely different league. He struggled mightily in the NHL. He can put up points, but his defensive game is weak. Until he improves his defense, he is not a top 5 Oiler in my mind.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
Yak might be 7 or 8 on my list... to be honest, he's still so far off that I haven't even considered voting for him yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad