Most Valuable Oiler #3

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Who do you think is the next most valuable Oiler going forward?

Consider age, contract, injury history, positional value, leadership, potential, etc... One way of thinking of it would be: in a trade to a neutral team, who would bring the greatest return?

2014 Offseason Results:

2013 Offseason Results:
*not on 2014-2015 Oilers roster

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Eberle, Yak, LD,Perron,Nurse,Marincin,Schultz

Scrivens and Klefbom are massive wildcards. They could be as high as 5 depending on how they play next year

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
I gotta think its Yak. Number 1 overall. Led all rookies in scoring. Had a bad season last year, but Im sure hes gonna bounce back.

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
Long-term I'd say Darnell Nurse honestly. But for the next 2-3 years I think it'll be Perron. He brings an edge and competitiveness to his game that is really lacking from the rest of the top 6 (or even top 9) forwards and produces as well as Eberle.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I gotta think its Yak. Number 1 overall. Led all rookies in scoring. Had a bad season last year, but Im sure hes gonna bounce back.

Guess it depends how you look at the question. If you go buy the trade to a neutral team who would hold more value... It would be Eberle and not even really close.

Yakupov has a long way to go before he gets to the level Eberle is at right now.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Yak - he's the guy who would get the best return in a trade, other than maybe the unproven draft choices like Drai.

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
Guess it depends how you look at the question. If you go buy the trade to a neutral team who would hold more value... It would be Eberle and not even really close.

Yakupov has a long way to go before he gets to the level Eberle is at right now.

I would say its much closer than youre suggesting.

Yak led the Oilers in goal scoring as a rookie. Had more goals than Eberle and our beloved Taylor Hall who had been playing in the AHL getting top minutes warming up for that season.

Also, Yak is on his entry level contract, costing only peanuts for another year, compared to Eberles 6MM. Yak is also 4 years younger than Eberle and his ceiling is much higher.

I went with Yak for these reasons.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Guys. I love how many top end talent guys we have right now.

When we're arguing who's better between Eberle, Yakupov, LD, Nurse, Perron, then you know there is a bright future in Edmonton.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
How could anybody even professing to watch hockey vote for Justin Schultz? :amazed:

Seriously why is he even being listed in the poll and a guy like Scrivens isn't?

Eirhead*

Yak could make himself to be an MVP on our team for sure... but he hasn't shown it in his first 2 seasons yet. He's got a dynamite shot when it's on, but he needs to be able to put himself in situations to use it more. Eberle on the other hand is great at getting in position to showcase his wicked wrister.

So based on past performance, it's easily Eberle over Yakupov. My next in line would be Scrivens. Assuming he maintains the starter position, he'll be a critical factor in whether or not we're a playoff team this year.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Wow Yak is so over rated by oiler fans.

Put a poll up on the main boards, and see who you would rather have now and in the future, the only votes Yak gets are from oiler fans.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
How could anybody even professing to watch hockey vote for Justin Schultz? :amazed:

Seriously why is he even being listed in the poll and a guy like Scrivens isn't?

I don't know if you can edit polls but I see Scrivens on it.

Justin Schultz is also part of the stated "core" of the team. I don't see why a guy like Nurse would be on this but not Schultz.

Eirhead*

My potential votes would go towards Draisaitl then Nurse, but I don't think they'll be in my top 10 for MVP votes since I have nearly zero NHL reference points for them. Add to that, I'd probably put Yakupov behind those 2 at the moment since both of them have a 2-way game and size. My next 5 would go Eberle, Scrivens, Perron, Fayne, Schultz.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't know if you can edit polls but I see Scrivens on it.

Justin Schultz is also part of the stated "core" of the team. I don't see why a guy like Nurse would be on this but not Schultz.

Well Schultz has confirmed himself as questionable. He's anything but a defender. He's a liability in own zone.

ps just noted Scrivens was added. Must've been a lot of write in requests ;)

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Well Schultz has confirmed himself as questionable. He's anything but a defender. He's a liability in own zone.

Every dman in the league their first couple seasons out of junior struggle.

The way Justin played the last 30 games last year, suggest hes turning it around.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Every dman in the league their first couple seasons out of junior struggle.

The way Justin played the last 30 games last year, suggest hes turning it around.

Or that Scrivens was in net saving bacon a lot of those games. Can't say I felt more confidence in Schultz play. Certainly not enough to be considered the 3rd most valuable Oiler.:amazed:

ps D out of Junior are not 24yrs old and with multiple years collegiate experience playing against men.

J Schultz should look better than this, jmo

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Or that Scrivens was in net saving bacon a lot of those games. Can't say I felt more confidence in Schultz play. Certainly not enough to be considered the 3rd most valuable Oiler.:amazed:

ps D out of Junior are not 24yrs old and with multiple years collegiate experience playing against men.

I voted Eberle, not Schultz for 3, and wouldnt put Schultz till 5th or 6th actually.

ps 120 games in the nhl at any age, and your not going to be a great defender. Ask Chara? Keith? Doughty? any of them.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Wow Yak is so over rated by oiler fans.

Put a poll up on the main boards, and see who you would rather have now and in the future, the only votes Yak gets are from oiler fans.

You mean the main boards which doesnt watch the Oilers, which think RoR is the next Toews despite holding out twice and bolting to the KHL? The main board which holds Galchenyuk as a future star despite same career production as Yak? ok sure

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
You mean the main boards which doesnt watch the Oilers, which think RoR is the next Toews despite holding out twice and bolting to the KHL? The main board which holds Galchenyuk as a future star despite same career production as Yak? ok sure

So Im right, thats what I thought :)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

When you look at Schultz in context it's not a stretch to say that he's a better player than a guy like Dekeyser, just brought into a circumstance that invited failure. Schultz had too many minutes and not enough support. He has been steadily improving, particularly at D, and now with a better team around him and better coaching it's likely that his improvement will speed up substantially. Considering his college and AHL resume, Schultz is better than what we've seen at the NHL level thus far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad