Most unlucky playoff team

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The Blues aren't unlucky. They've just never been good enough, which has left the door open for other teams to push ahead of them.

Even in '97 and '98, when the Blues were eliminated by the eventual Cup-winning Red Wings, the Red Wings were only the #3 seed in the West and didn't have that many more points than the Blues (only 11 and then 5 more). The Blues had a better opportunity to upset than history makes it appear in hindsight. Also, in 2003 and 2006, the Red Wings lost in the 1st round and the Blues capitalized by losing in the 1st round, themselves, and missing the playoffs, respectively.

Similarly, the "dynasty" that replaced the Red Wings, the Hawks, lost in the 1st round in 2012 and the Blues took advantage by getting swept in the 2nd round to a different team. Last year, they actually dispatched the Hawks, themselves, only to lose to yet another team. This year, the Hawks were eliminated in the 1st round again and, instead of taking advantage, the Blues again find themselves on the brink of elimination in the 2nd round.

The Blues aren't "unlucky" to coexist with and face better teams. Every team deals with that and the good ones overcome it and/or take advantage when presented with an opportunity, and the Blues have historically done little of both.

Last edited:

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The Blues are always a good team but you either have to get lucky or you have to be great to win a cup

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
After being in the league 50 years now with no Cup I don't particularly give a sweet **** what you want to call it. Unlucky, cursed....just not good enough. Doesn't matter...we've waited longer than everyone else.

Captain And Coke

Apr 29, 2011
After being in the league 50 years now with no Cup I don't particularly give a sweet **** what you want to call it. Unlucky, cursed....just not good enough. Doesn't matter...we've waited longer than everyone else.

True enough.

Even the California Seals -> Oakland Seals -> California Golden Seals -> Cleveland Barons -> Minnesota North Star merge -> Dallas Stars got a Cup. :laugh:

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I think there's a legit conversation to be had about the flyers :dunno:

Goalies are key. Parent had a major injury before the '76 Final and did not play, and his career ender came in '79, the season before their next appearance. Lindbergh died tragically in '86, though Hextall was still terrific in '87...actually got Conn Smythe goaltending and lost. '97 was a fiasco overall. 2010 they showed up in the Finals with Boucher and Leighton. Bizarre stuff.

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs
Yeah I still see the Yezerman slap shot from center ice in my nightmares..... I can not believe that shot went in :cry::cry:

Jon Casey, didn't like to watch the puck meet his gloves on routine saves, wouldn't look, would just through them up there. The puck goes over his blocker, then he whipped his farther back then straight forward. :rant:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
hard to say, but maybe the blues making it to the finals 3 straight times and not winning one. I can't really imagine how it will feel to make 3 straight finals and come out with nothing.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
hard to say, but maybe the blues making it to the finals 3 straight times and not winning one. I can't really imagine how it will feel to make 3 straight finals and come out with nothing.

They didn't just not win, they got swept all three times.

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015

the buffalo bills made it to the superbowl 4 straight times and lost each time

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

I mean, they were never expected to win those games. They were sacrificial lambs to the O6 teams those years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad