Most unlucky playoff team

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Yes, they viewed last year's team (I think rightly so) as a contender. And Armstrong decided not to overpay to re-sign Backes or Brouwer, but it left holes. UFA Perron wasn't enough. The top 9 today is nowhere the threat that it was last season.

I remain a bit skeptical about where this rebuild is going, but I think most Blues fans are viewing this post-season as an unexpected run with house money.

I'll drink to that! :laugh:

:cheers:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Capitals..

legit contenders year after year but just cant get past Pens.

If anything, the Caps are lucky. No Letang this year. No Sid/Sheary for Game 4. Murray was out. Game 3 included a bounce off Cole's stick and into the net on a 5 on 3. There was a great lucky bounce that kept a puck from going in the net against when Rust hit the shaft of a stick instead of the wide open net.

You can't say the Caps aren't lucky. You can just say the Caps, as of right now, are not getting it done. Luck has gone both ways, IMO.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Since this is just a MY TEAM, MY TEAM thread...

Some teams get to win their Cups against the 2006 Oilers or the 1991 North Stars. The Flyers have been to 8 Finals and won twice. They lost to every single dynasty the league has seen since their existence: the 1970's Canadiens, the 1980's Islanders and Oilers twice, the late '90's Red Wings, and the 2010 Blackhawks.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Since this is just a MY TEAM, MY TEAM thread...

Some teams get to win their Cups against the 2006 Oilers or the 1991 North Stars. The Flyers have been to 8 Finals and won twice. They lost to every single dynasty the league has seen since their existence: the 1970's Canadiens, the 1980's Islanders and Oilers twice, the late '90's Red Wings, and the 2010 Blackhawks.

I think there's a legit conversation to be had about the flyers :dunno:

The Blues aren't unlucky. They have just never been good enough to win.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis

lol from Pens fan, you do not think Luck has anything to do with rooting for teams with Lemieux and Jagr, and then Sid and Geno, get out of here, Pens are my second Favorite team and they have been lucky enough to hit the lottery quite a few times.

Kirikanoir

Dec 16, 2010
The Jets in the 1980s

This is one I just don`t get. Winnipeg in the 80s were nothing special. They had one good season 1984-85 when they finished with 96 points and one slightly above average season with 88 points. Winnipeg had 2 winning seasons, one .500 season and 7 below .500 seasons. Winnipeg managed 2 playoff series victories and then were swept in the second round both times.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I am not sure if you're kidding or not. But didn't Colorado win the SC in '96?

What he is saying is the 96 team was for sure good enough to win the Cup, if not having Grant Fuhr cheap shot out of the playoffs by Kypreos I think we win that year, Our team was absolutly stacked 5 Hall of Famers on that team

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Philly invented a genre. His team had been bullied, so Snider decided to become the bully instead. Lots of teams had tough guys, but I don't think any team had consciously designed a system around physical intimidation until then. Plus, the 70s Flyers were loaded with legit talent. It worked, and the whole "Big Bad" hockey prototype was born.

Actually, Philadelphia has also suffered from tough luck ever since. Loads of elite talent that never quite made it.

Shero also employed short shifts while most of the league did not, so he was pounding down opposing shifts with fresh waves.

The Flyers have been to the Finals 6 times since their last win and each time have run into a dynasty, or dynasty*. There's a point where it isn't luck anymore. It's just how things will be. Whoever we draft 2nd will be instrumental in getting us to the Finals to lose to whichever team is on its way to being a new dynasty/dynasty*. That is the way of things. I have made peace with this. The league might as well amend the definition of a dynasty to be "3 wins, one of which is over the Flyers."

I used to consider the Caps unlucky but no more. They've been so consistently good and gone nowhere for so long that there must be something broken with that team, rather than poor luck.

skillhockey

Feb 26, 2013
Shero also employed short shifts while most of the league did not, so he was pounding down opposing shifts with fresh waves.

The Flyers have been to the Finals 6 times since their last win and each time have run into a dynasty, or dynasty*. There's a point where it isn't luck anymore. It's just how things will be. Whoever we draft 2nd will be instrumental in getting us to the Finals to lose to whichever team is on its way to being a new dynasty/dynasty*. That is the way of things. I have made peace with this. The league might as well amend the definition of a dynasty to be "3 wins, one of which is over the Flyers."

I used to consider the Caps unlucky but no more. They've been so consistently good and gone nowhere for so long that there must be something broken with that team, rather than poor luck.

They just can't beat the Penns, they were great 2009.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I am not sure if you're kidding or not. But didn't Colorado win the SC in '96?

The poster I was quoting claimed the Blues have never had team good enough to win. In 1996, the Blues had a team good enough to win the Stanley Cup. However, they did not win the cup, losing to Detroit in the WCSF in EPIC fashion - double OT in game 7 (see: avatar).

Detroit went on to lose to Colorado who then won the Cup.

EDIT:
What he is saying is the 96 team was for sure good enough to win the Cup, if not having Grant Fuhr cheap shot out of the playoffs by Kypreos I think we win that year, Our team was absolutly stacked 5 Hall of Famers on that team

Exactly. If Fuhr doesn't get hurt in a freak accident when a Toronto player fell on him...who knows. But that 1996 team featured Gretzky, Hull, MacInnis, Pronger, Fuhr, ect. It was stacked.

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008

Wow - it was like a Oilers old timer team:

Gretzky, Tikkanen (traded away by the looks of it), Anderson, MacTavish, Fuhr, Huddy, Corson.

You even had Dallas Eakins.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
They just can't beat the Penns, they were great 2009.

There are more teams than the Pens they haven't gotten past. They've lost more often to other teams than to the Pens.

But it is true overall that they can't seem to beat them. One series victory over them in franchise history is dreadful.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
I think since their last cup win every time the Flyers got to the finals it was against a dynasty or team that would win multiple cups? Oilers, Red Wings and Blackhawks... that's pretty unlucky lol.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Wow - it was like a Oilers old timer team:

Gretzky, Tikkanen (traded away by the looks of it), Anderson, MacTavish, Fuhr, Huddy, Corson.

You even had Dallas Eakins.

Yeah I still see the Yezerman slap shot from center ice in my nightmares..... I can not believe that shot went in :cry::cry:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think since their last cup win every time the Flyers got to the finals it was against a dynasty or team that would win multiple cups? Oilers, Red Wings and Blackhawks... that's pretty unlucky lol.

This is true. And also the 76 Habs kicking off a dynasty, a contender for greatest overall team.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Yeah I still see the Yezerman slap shot from center ice in my nightmares..... I can not believe that shot went in :cry::cry:

See when I think of iconic Blues moments, that's the one that comes to mind. No disrespect to Orr, but the Orr moment is iconic because of Orr, not because of the Blues.

Gretzky had it, lost it. Double OT. Game 7. Yzerman. Just insane.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005

Yep. The answer, for me, is the Flyers, AINEC.

That 1979-80 team was one of the best ever. I was just a kid and still remember that offside call in Game 6 vs. the Islanders.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007

Says the guy who's team had Lemieux/Jagr and later drafted Malkin and Crosby in back to back years while the Blues took...Erik Johnson 1st overall.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Watching the Preds-Blues series it just struck me how unlucky the Blues in particular have been. First they ran into Detroit at the height of their best years then once the Wings started to decline the Hawks became the powerhouse of the league. And now it seems the Preds are on the rise. The Blues have always been very good but just managed to end up in the same division as some of the best teams over the past decades.

Another team was the Jets v 1.0 who coincided with the Oilers dynasty and Gretzky. And talking about the Oilers, didn't they manage to draw the Dallas Stars several times in the playoffs during Doug Weight's time and kept losing when they would have had a much better chance against most other opponents.

Are there any other teams that just got a raw deal in the playoffs?

None of these teams are unlucky, they just weren't as good as the best teams. That isn't luck, it is being not as good.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
All time gotta be the blues. They've made the playoffs the most times without winning a championship of all North American major league sports teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad