Most Unlikeable Flyers Team?

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
Well, title of the thread says it all. Is this the most unlikeable Flyers roster in recent memory? I just don’t feel emotionally connected to this roster. And yes, I get it, it’s JUST hockey. But you want to care about the players. It’s like watching a tv show, you want to like the people your watching, and with this current roster, I don’t have that. Been a die hard die hard since 2004, but this past season I missed more games than the last 15 years combined. I just didn’t care. I do like Couts, I will say that, but this team is full of players that I just could care less about. Give us a reason to care again. And not with Debrincat or Gaudreau. Both aren’t doing a damn thing to help this current roster. We need d men yet again.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Last season post-Giroux is definitely my least favorite team we've assembled. I liked 06-07 way better...I could see some hope in the lineup with Freddy Meyer, Randy Jones, Coburn, Ben Eager (lulz), Marty Biron, and tons of cap space that upcoming offseason.

Right now I'm looking forward to us just screwing up...and that's awful.

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
We could be in the potentially worst position in the entire nhl. We don’t have grade A prospects anymore. No cap space. No franchise player. No GM. No Front Office. I honestly don’t understand how the front office and the fan base can be at such a disconnect. Now that’s a figure of speech, money is the reason, but “ aggressive retool”, when the fan base, rest of the hockey world, all think that’s absurd given the current roster. Give your heads a shake. I don’t hate the Torts hiring. He has fire. But outside of that, this team will be bottom 3 next season, and that’s not a bad thing. Maybe our karma and patience will land us the 1st pick. Either way, this isn’t a playoff team, this isn’t a likeable team, this franchise is literally driving loyal fans away because they refuse to look in the mirror.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
This draft and offseason will be huge.
They either turn it around and at least partially restore the trust or they will lose even more of their fanbase. Me included. I still try to stay positive and I'm not at a point yet where I can actively route against my team but getting closer every day.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
2022-202? People are not adequately prepared and not realizing how shit the post Giroux years are going to be.
I havent looked forward to a team in some time. I want the G-less team to be an absolute dumpster fire. I want every fan who thought G was part of the problem to have to eat crow till they choke.

The worst part is that if by some miracle they actually finish poorly enough in the next few years to draft in the top 3, they will be handing over whatever studs they pick to Torts to beat them into safe play garbage.

Last edited by a moderator:

snoop88

Apr 15, 2012
The 2002 team that collectively decided to literally quit on their coach and not score a goal an entire playoff series or something like that was pretty bad.

Reactions: Pantokrator

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
The 2002 team that collectively decided to literally quit on their coach and not score a goal an entire playoff series or something like that was pretty bad.
I forgot about that.

I didn't like the 90-91 team because it felt like it was packed with mediocre to bad players. Players like Dale Kushner, Normand Lacombe, Martin Hostak - you knew they were never going to go anywhere. The fun players from the 85 team -Ron Sutter, Tocchet, Derrick Smith, Pelle Eklund, Murray craven - seemed to know the team was crap. Tocchet led the team with 71 points, but was 38th in league scoring. I hated Scott Mellanby and Murray Baron, but it did have Kimbi Daniels who I knew was going to score just as much in the NHL as he did in Swift Current!

However, at least that team had Mike Ricci, so you had some hope, and the team was bad enough to be in the running for good picks. You knew the team was rebuilding.

This current team has no hope for the future and is not actively rebuilding so I hate it more. I don't like the team, but I blame Fletcher rather than the players. I end up hating the players because Fletcher thinks they are good and worth the contracts he gave them. For example, if Risto made 2.5 million, I would like him. But giving him 5 million, which will eventually force out Provorov or Sanheim, makes me mad at him when I should be angry at Fletcher alone.

Last edited:

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
It's not really how it went down. Barber ceased being able to truly coach the team given what he was going through and as a result they were completely lost, with the leadership of the team out there on the ice trying to make adjustments. It was a bad situation. That same core then went out and gave us the 2004 run.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That’s probably the one prior to this era, although Barber did have to go. That and 1998 wasn’t a good one.

Reactions: snoop88

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I forgot about that.

I didn't like the 90-91 team because it felt like it was packed with mediocre to bad players. Players like Dale Kushner, Normand Lacombe, Martin Hostak - you knew they were never going to go anywhere. The fun players from the 85 team -Ron Sutter, Tocchet, Derrick Smith, Pelle Eklund, Murray craven - seemed to know the team was crap. Tocchet led the team with 71 points, but was 38th in league scoring. I hated Scott Mellanby and Murray Baron, but it did have Kimbi Daniels who I knew was going to score just as much in the NHL as he did in Swift Current!

However, at least that team had Mike Ricci, so you had some hope, and the team was bad enough to be in the running for good picks. You knew the team was rebuilding.

This current team has no hope for the future and is not actively rebuilding so I hate it more. I don't like the team, but I blame Fletcher rather than the players. I end up hating the players because Fletcher thinks they are good and worth the contracts he gave them. For example, if Risto made 2.5 million, I would like him. But giving him 5 million, which will eventually force out Provorov or Sanheim, makes me mad at him when I should be angry at Fletcher alone.
loved his booze.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Other teams were bad but this last year’s, for me, was the most unlikeable. A team often resembles their coach’s personality and I thought that this one did. It started with AV through Therrien and on down. There are some players that I respect- Couturier, Sanheim, Oscar and a few others that are honest guys and give it their all every night. Then there are the bums- Yandle, Thompson, Hayes and the rest of that crowd that don’t play smart, competitive hockey and are an off ice bore.
Methinks that Torts knows this and who the dregs are. Some guys are probably going to be leaving town and a few others are going to wish that they had.

Reactions: Rebels57

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
"Some guys are probably going to be leaving town and a few others are going to wish that they had."

That's every offseason.

Last summer it was Ghost, Jake, Patrick, Myers, and Hagg.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
We could be in the potentially worst position in the entire nhl. We don’t have grade A prospects anymore. No cap space. No franchise player. No GM. No Front Office. I honestly don’t understand how the front office and the fan base can be at such a disconnect. Now that’s a figure of speech, money is the reason, but “ aggressive retool”, when the fan base, rest of the hockey world, all think that’s absurd given the current roster. Give your heads a shake. I don’t hate the Torts hiring. He has fire. But outside of that, this team will be bottom 3 next season, and that’s not a bad thing. Maybe our karma and patience will land us the 1st pick. Either way, this isn’t a playoff team, this isn’t a likeable team, this franchise is literally driving loyal fans away because they refuse to look in the mirror.
Sharks are definitely in a much worse spot

Reactions: Swic21

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Orange team bad.
big big bad

Sharks are definitely in a much worse spot
I would rather be a shit show that has accepted it and is willing to bottom out, then a shit show that is going to pathetically chug along for years finishing 20th just to try to keep the franchises valuation up.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The Sharks were also competitive for a good decade ( in part thanks to our current GM gifting SJ one of the most talented defensemen of the era in one of the most lopsided trades of the era). The Flyers...

Who knows if it continues under new management but at least the Sharks have prioritized the draft the last two years and look to have some building blocks. If everything holds by the weekend, they will have made 27 picks in the last 3 drafts. Flyers - 17 and one's rights were already relinquished.

Last edited:

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
The Sharks were also competitive for a good decade ( in part thanks to our current GM gifting SJ one of the most talented defensemen of the era in one of the most lopsided trades of the era). The Flyers...

Who knows if it continues under new management but at least the Sharks have prioritized the draft the last two years and look to have some building blocks. If everything holds by the weekend, they will have made 27 picks in the last 3 drafts. Flyers - 17 and one's rights were already relinquished.

Yeah, the thing that makes this all so hateful is the fact that the management is the only group in the world who think the team has some sort of future. At best, this team plays out of their minds and it makes them a playoff team, but with no real depth or quality, they are not a Cup contender at all. It is more likely they stink terribly once again. I just want the management to bomb and go for top dradt picks instead of foing everything to just make the playoffs only to fail again and again.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Being mediocre or even bad doesn't make a team unlikeable. I don't think we have any unlikeable players on the team. It's not like we signed guys like Evander Kane or Tony DeAngelo.

That might change if we sign Nazem Kadri though...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad