Most underrated and overrated goalies?

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Overrated: Matt Murray, Bishop (not on these boards, just generally....he's been really average this season and had injury issues in the past), Rask

Underrated: Markstrom, Lehner, Anderson, Jones

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Overrated: Bishop.

His size is his pretty much his only asset

Underrated: Schneider

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
there's really no overrated goalie

maybe rinne...

Rinne was overrated before 2015-2016, but when a few posters (Yes super small minority, but even 1 shouldn't exist in this scenario) have said Pavelec is better than Rinne because of muh adjusted save percentage, and the fact that the majority don't really consider Rinne as an elite goalie anymore, I'd say he's rated far more fairly now.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
It wasn't Lundqvist's fault that he didn't have a team that could score in the postseason in front of him. He's no Hasek but I think he's as good as Roy and maybe better than Brodeur was. He just didn't have the team in front of him nor the league style of play Brodeur had during his career

Brodeur had a fantastic team defense, but Brodeur also dictated the game. The trapezoid exists because of Brodeur. What other goalie can control the game with his puck handling skills, rebound control, and overall dominant performances and extreme workhorse ability?

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Varlamov is very underrated imo.

His numbers are more of indication of mediocrity of Colorado's D rather then his ability.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Jimmy Howard is so underrated, people aren't even talking about him as underrated.

He's played behind a bad team with a bottom 1-5 defense in the NHL for the past 2 seasons and has somehow thrived under those circumstances. His numbers have been anywhere from good to phenomenal in that time period. I'm not a fan of him per se (and I don't like goalies in general) but he has really been an unsung legitimate starter for the past 2 years. I actually believe in him more now than I did when he was getting Vezina consideration in 2010.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Surprising as it may be the Hellebuyck hype train has died down now that he's performing. But for at least the past 2+ years the Jets have not needed a goalie because they have "the amazing Hellebuyck" even though he hadn't done anything noteworthy.
Ummmm... he was a prospect.

Then he had an outstanding rookie season.

He slumped during an injury-plagued season for the team.

He's one of the top goalies in the NHL this season.

Not much to choose between Andersen and Hellebuyck, if you go by the numbers (and Hellebuyck is 4 years younger).

Andersen Hellebuyck.png

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
People saying Quick, please tell me you're not looking just at his SV% considering how his SV% has been artificially deflated because of the team he plays on.

Wait, so he's overrated simply because he's not Brodeur?
It would be nice if people actually started believing you, but you know this place...

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Overrated: Talbot. Guy has been awful this year and I don't think there is any argument around it.

Underrated: Hellebuyck. Kid is finally putting it all together.

Well most people aren't saying anything positive about Talbot. Funny enough last season Talbot was overrated by non-Oilers fans who thought he was the 2nd biggest reason behind McDavid for why the Oilers made the playoffs, whereas Oilers fans were more realistic about him.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Well most people aren't saying anything positive about Talbot. Funny enough last season Talbot was overrated by non-Oilers fans who thought he was the 2nd biggest reason behind McDavid for why the Oilers made the playoffs, whereas Oilers fans were more realistic about him.

I'll just say I disagree with your assessment about who was overrating Talbot last season.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
It wasn't Lundqvist's fault that he didn't have a team that could score in the postseason in front of him. He's no Hasek but I think he's as good as Roy and maybe better than Brodeur was. He just didn't have the team in front of him nor the league style of play Brodeur had during his career

Lundqvist was not better than Brodeur, and not as good as Roy. I'm not sure how someone can come to that conclusion. Plus the Rangers had legit cup contending teams in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, and 2015.

Brodeur had a fantastic team defense, but Brodeur also dictated the game. The trapezoid exists because of Brodeur. What other goalie can control the game with his puck handling skills, rebound control, and overall dominant performances and extreme workhorse ability?

This is all true, and Brodeur too had a deflated SV% for practically his entire career. What made Brodeur great was his reflexes and athleticism.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Ummmm... he was a prospect.

Then he had an outstanding rookie season.

He slumped during an injury-plagued season for the team.

He's one of the top goalies in the NHL this season.

Not much to choose between Andersen and Hellebuyck, if you go by the numbers (and Hellebuyck is 4 years younger).

View attachment 85653

Lol, don't even bother, the guy has a serious hate on for both the Rangers and the Jets and you'll never even come remotely close to changing his mind about anything positive about either team.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I've been pretty impressed with that Leafs goalie Andersen when I see him play but his numbers aren't really eye popping or anything. He just always seems very good to me, despite average starter stats and nobody really pumping his tires.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Overated: Bobrovsky (career playoff SV% .887 GAA 3.63)

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Overrated: Renne, Bishop, Dubnyk, Holtby

Underrated: Jones, Gibson, Schneider, Howard

Why Holtby ?

Like Quick and Murray, I've mostly seen them be excellent.

For underrated: Gibson and Schneider for me. Excellent goalies.

Dano85

Oct 8, 2016
that Tampa goalie has only been mentioned once in this thread and pretty sure he has been amongst the best goalies in the league since Bishop was dealt....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad