Most Underachieving Flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Now it is probably Evgeny Medvedev. People had very high hopes for him and while he hasn't been awful, he has been disappointing. I do not believe Manning should be playing over him but Hakstol seems to know what he is doing.

From the recent past I would probably say Pavel Brendl. Dude lit up the WHL and when the Flyers got him I was certain he'd be a monster. Not to mention he was the centerpiece for the Lindros trade.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Now it is probably Evgeny Medvedev. People had very high hopes for him and while he hasn't been awful, he has been disappointing. I do not believe Manning should be playing over him but Hakstol seems to know what he is doing.

From the recent past I would probably say Pavel Brendl. Dude lit up the WHL and when the Flyers got him I was certain he'd be a monster. Not to mention he was the centerpiece for the Lindros trade.

Medvedev hasn't really gotten a fair shake here as far as i'm concerned. I think the language barrier was a bigger issue than any of us realize. It's hard to coach a player that doesn't understand what the hell you're saying. He would look really good for a couple of games, make a mistake trying to do too much, then get benched for Manning. His handling is one of my biggest gripes about Hakstol this season, because he has a lot more ability than Manning and is relegated to the bench.

Pavel Brendl is a great answer though. Everyone said he had 50/50 potential and he was content to just be a lazy slob on the ice.

Jiri Dopita also comes to mind. "Best player outside the NHL" looked no better than a 3rd liner most nights.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Medvedev hasn't really gotten a fair shake here as far as i'm concerned. I think the language barrier was a bigger issue than any of us realize. It's hard to coach a player that doesn't understand what the hell you're saying. He would look really good for a couple of games, make a mistake trying to do too much, then get benched for Manning. His handling is one of my biggest gripes about Hakstol this season, because he has a lot more ability than Manning and is relegated to the bench.

Either way, he's underachieving. Whether it is his fault or not is certainly an issue, but he's still not doing what we expected/wanted. I agree his handling has not been ideal, but whether that is because of the language barrier or something else doesn't change the fact that he's underachieved.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
1. Kevin Marshall should at least have turned into an NHL regular. They moved up in the draft to get him and it turned out he was a finished product already.

2. Maxim Ouellet ... the reason they will never draft a goalie in the first round again.

3. Steve Downie could have been so much better if he had the brains to avoid suspension.

HM: Stefan Ruzicka, Pavel Brendl... two talented Eastern European players with questionable work ethic.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'd vote for Rinaldo. His first season fooled some people into thinking he could be an effective NHL role player, but he was undisciplined garbage ever since and now languishes in the AHL.

I always thought that Chris Therien should've been a lot better then he was. Seemed to be content on being an average player.

I think that's harsh. He was a 15-20 point shutdown dman on some very good teams.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I thought Joni Pitkanen under-achieved to an extent as well.

He was supposed to be our #1 for a decade. Instead, we got 3 seasons (4 if you count lockout lost year of 04-05 where he was a Phantom) out of him before shipping him to Edmonton for Dan McGillis. He only lasted 1 season in Edmonton before being moved to Carolina. He did find consistency in Carolina but never became an elite #1 defensemen like he was projected.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
How to start a fight... Joni Pitkänen.

Mr. Universe.
Darren Rumble.
Claude Boivin.
Glen Seabrooke.
Steve Smith.
Maxime Ouellet (I was hype about him).
Bob Currier.
Ryan Sittler.

I'll stop naming first round picks.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I thought Joni Pitkanen under-achieved to an extent as well.

He was supposed to be our #1 for a decade. Instead, we got 3 seasons (4 if you count lockout lost year of 04-05 where he was a Phantom) out of him before shipping him to Edmonton for Dan McGillis. He only lasted 1 season in Edmonton before being moved to Carolina. He did find consistency in Carolina but never became an elite #1 defensemen like he was projected.

This was the actual trade:

Joni Pitkanen , Geoff Sanderson & 2009 3rd rounder (transferred to Calgary - Ryan Howse) for Jason Smith & Joffrey Lupul.

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/trade.cgi

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
HM: Stefan Ruzicka, Pavel Brendl... two talented Eastern European players with questionable work ethic.
in the same trade, Jan Hlavac, scored something like 30 goals/60+ points with the NYR the season before we got him in the #88 trade and he basically never had a season anywhere near that again in the NHL...

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
How to start a fight... Joni Pitkänen.

Mr. Universe.
Darren Rumble.
Claude Boivin.
Glen Seabrooke.
Steve Smith.
Maxime Ouellet (I was hype about him).
Bob Currier.
Ryan Sittler.

I'll stop naming first round picks.

Nice list....

Janne Niinimaa, Magnus Roupe, Gilbert Dionne, Jiri Latal are some others that come to mind for me

I guess Mark Pederson was another...oh and DOPITA!

I'm sure I will be adding more...

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Isn't the most obvious answer Eric Lindros? I mean sure he was a blast to watch and the Legion of Doom was awesome but he was suppose to bring home the flyers at least 1 Stanley cup.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Isn't the most obvious answer Eric Lindros? I mean sure he was a blast to watch and the Legion of Doom was awesome but he was suppose to bring home the flyers at least 1 Stanley cup.

It's so hard to call a Hart winner, potential Hall of Famer the biggest underachiever.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

Brendl got the Flyers Sami Kapanen so it wasnt all bad.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This was the actual trade:

Joni Pitkanen , Geoff Sanderson & 2009 3rd rounder (transferred to Calgary - Ryan Howse) for Jason Smith & Joffrey Lupul.

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/trade.cgi

Ahh thats right. It's been a while. Thanks for correcting me on that.

That trade wasn't terrible for us. Smith and Lupul helped us go on a nice run in 2008 and then Lupul helped us land Pronger.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

He did anything but underachieve on an individual level.

Winning a Cup is a team achievement.

It would have also helped had the NHL not allowed head shots at the time..

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Boucher's first stint with the Flyers is the first thing that came to mind for me.

Chris Gratton came in with some lofty expectations and made a swift exit after failing to meet them.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I guess Bryz was such an obvious disaster that he wasn't worth mentioning :laugh:

Yeah Gratton was pretty bad.....Clarke really over valued that dude and that signing bonus of 10M or whatever it was really took the cake.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Also thought of Boucher; he went from being a revolution in net to "meh" rapidly.

Bryzgalov has to be the biggest flop though, probably in franchise history when you consider the huge impact it had. Costed us Bob (that may work now, but at the time that was really annoying), forced Homer to remodel the defense into an outdated DPE-era monstrosity to put a meatshield in front of him (Are only JUST beginning to recover from that, and it cost us JVR for Schenn), and it forced Lavi to try to use a convoluted system he couldn't coach and the players didn't understand.

Bryzgalov's signing and failure had huge negative impacts across the team for years, and we are only just moving on with Grossmann and Schenn moved out.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
He did anything but underachieve on an individual level.

Winning a Cup is a team achievement.

It would have also helped had the NHL not allowed head shots at the time..

For a player labeled as "The Next One" he did underachieve on an individual level as well. (In my mind) For what he was suppose to be and what he was suppose to accomplish he came up quite short due to a various amount of reasons. He played against quite a high level of competition but his trophy case is quite small as well. Winning a cup is a team achievement but it is up to the top level players to really make it happen. It is unfortunate that his career was cut short and the flyers gave up a ton to come up with nothing to show for it.

Eric Lindros was a fantastic player but he certainly didn't live up to the hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad