Most Talented Player Habs Have Drafted Since Lafleur ?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Richer was so freaking amazing. He suffered from depression and it resulted in uneven seasons but he had it all. To this day, best slapshot ever. Definitely my favourite from the 80s. Loved that guy. HOF caliber talent but mental health limited what should've been.
as good as he was, not as good as roy.

its not even particularly close

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Mental health. If he had it, it's a HOF career. Big, strong, fast, killer shot. He was amazing.
patrick roy is one of the best goalies to ever play. and I'm not sure he was completely sane either ( most goalies are not)

on accomplishments and on people who followed him, the accomplishments to the habs and to the games. richer isnt in the conversation.

Reactions: barbu

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
patrick roy is one of the best goalies to ever play. and I'm not sure he was completely sane either ( most goalies are not)

on accomplishments and on people who followed him, the accomplishments to the habs and to the games. richer isnt in the conversation.
I place Patrick Roy first on my list because he is the best goalie ever in play-offs. Best of all teams in play-offs. There are very interresting names people post here but none we can say he was the best ever at his position like Roy in front of his net. And his attitude, he was a winner in a time when Habs were declining, the era of the winning team of the '70's was gone.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Yeah but before mentionning Svoboda you could remember how good Desjardins was, or Markov, or Subban. But yeah Svoboda was good but I have a lot of names that comes to my mind before him.

Yes to them as well, but I was only responding to the 4 players mentioned.

But yes, Markov and Subban, though I hold Subban a little higher. Since we’re not comparing players to Lafleur, other notable picks just off the top of my head we’re Naslund, Mondou, Schneider and Koivu.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
You guys don't seem to get DA's point.

He said 'as evaluated on draft day'. No room for revisionism and 20/20 hindsight.

By that metric, yes Galchenyuk is ahead of Patrick Roy, Andrei Markov, Patches, Subban and many others who were drafted much lower. Roy was a nobody on draft day. Only the Habs saw his potential, as he was playing on a terrible team in juniors.

Carey Price was obviously ranked very highly on draft day. Koivu, not as high (21st overall), but I do remember the hype around him even before he came into the league.

Reactions: DAChampion

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Started following this team as a little kid in 1986...

Guy was gone by then but since i've been following i gotta go with Richer...Crazy shot and good skater and the 50 goal seasons were awesome.....

Interested to see what you guys think because we have never really been a lottery team to get the elite players in the draft.....I think i read somewhere that the Habs have never had a guy in the top 10 in points since Naslund in 86....Correct me if i'm wrong on that....

1. Roy
2. Price
3. Chelios
4 Naslund
5. Koivu

Schneider, Desjardins, Richer, Leclair, Subban also come to mind.

Hopefully Caufield and Kotkaniemi also make their way up that list.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Roy, not close. One can even argue that Roy > Lafleur
If we are talking about skaters, it's Robinson, followed by Chelios.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
was gonna say Richer too, hes my dads fav player as well

Mete asks "Who's that?" :sarcasm:

Richer's gotta be one of the best players drafted since Lafleur. But I think I'll go with Roy for the simple fact that he's up there with the legends.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
You guys don't seem to get DA's point.

He said 'as evaluated on draft day'. No room for revisionism and 20/20 hindsight.

By that metric, yes Galchenyuk is ahead of Patrick Roy, Andrei Markov, Patches, Subban and many others who were drafted much lower. Roy was a nobody on draft day. Only the Habs saw his potential, as he was playing on a terrible team in juniors.

Carey Price was obviously ranked very highly on draft day. Koivu, not as high (21st overall), but I do remember the hype around him even before he came into the league.

Thank you.

I remember that Koivu was considered the best player in the world not playing in the NHL.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Mete asks "Who's that?" :sarcasm:

Richer's gotta be one of the best players drafted since Lafleur. But I think I'll go with Roy for the simple fact that he's up there with the legends.

ya for sure, i just assumed we were talking about skaters

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Mental health. If he had it, it's a HOF career. Big, strong, fast, killer shot. He was amazing.

Richer had a real good career, but I agree, he could have been so much more.

Regarding his offensive toolkit, he pretty much had it all. Size, speed, power, and a wicked shot.

My first memories of the habs are watching Russ Courtnall and Stephane Richer flying down the wings.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Cassels was pretty good.
LeClair was near a PPG for his career.
Schneider had a solid career, points wise, for a defenseman.
Chelios.
Ribeiro put up a decent offensive career.

We drafted Steve Shutt the year after Lafleur.

Mats Naslund would probably be #1.

Pretty slim pickings.

If we're including goalies, we drafted a ton that played solid NHL careers.

Last edited:
Reactions: angusyoung

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Svoboda I thought was really good. Great skater and despite being like 90lbs, wasn’t afraid to engage physically even if on the losing end often.

For me Svoboda was like a son in law. He never quite met my expectations and then I was just disappointed after a couple of years.

Reactions: sandviper

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I rank Roy as the greatest goalie ever. But is it weird that for "most talented" i almost want to pick Price above him? I think Price has more talent....maybe. doesnt mean hes better though

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad