Most Talented Player Habs Have Drafted Since Lafleur ?

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
Started following this team as a little kid in 1986...

Guy was gone by then but since i've been following i gotta go with Richer...Crazy shot and good skater and the 50 goal seasons were awesome.....

Interested to see what you guys think because we have never really been a lottery team to get the elite players in the draft.....I think i read somewhere that the Habs have never had a guy in the top 10 in points since Naslund in 86....Correct me if i'm wrong on that....

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
Näslund was the last one in the top 10 and the last to get above or even close to 100 points. Kovalev was close, finishing 11th in 2007-2008 with 84 points. Koivu was leading the whole NHL in scoring in December 1996 when his dreaded streak of knee injuries started, which meant he lost 32 games that season. That's about it in terms of above point per game performances.

Anyway, Koivu was more about hard work than pure talent. Since the 90's, drafting has been incredibly poor in terms of finding pure talent. I guess Pacioretty or Subban would be on top of the short list from the last two decades, if you include goaltenders the answer is obvious.

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
Näslund was the last one in the top 10 and the last to get above or even close to 100 points. Kovalev was close, finishing 11th in 2007-2008 with 84 points. Koivu was leading the whole NHL in scoring in December 1996 when his dreaded streak of knee injuries started, which meant he lost 32 games that season. That's about it in terms of above point per game performances.

Anyway, Koivu was more about hard work than pure talent. Since the 90's, drafting has been incredibly poor in terms of finding pure talent. I guess Pacioretty or Subban would be on top of the short list from the last two decades, if you include goaltenders the answer is obvious.

Yeah sadly the drafting track record hasn't been great for the most part since i've been following.....(the 86 team was built before i became a fan) ......Gainey probably was the best we've had at it leaving behind Price, Subban , and Pac...

Kovalev and Gilmour were the 2 best to wear the Habs jersey that i ever saw (at least as far as just pure ability goes)....Not home grown guys though, and Gilmour was just here for a cup of coffee.....

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Larry Robinson (for skaters) and Patrick Roy (for players).

The most difficult was choosing between Robinson and Chelios.

Reactions: Toene

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Started following this team as a little kid in 1986...

Guy was gone by then but since i've been following i gotta go with Richer...Crazy shot and good skater and the 50 goal seasons were awesome.....

Interested to see what you guys think because we have never really been a lottery team to get the elite players in the draft.....I think i read somewhere that the Habs have never had a guy in the top 10 in points since Naslund in 86....Correct me if i'm wrong on that....
Pat Roy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad