Most (recent) forgettable Penguins

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Blake Comeau had like 28 points in 40ish games for us in 2014-15. Then he missed time due to injury and had 4 points in his last 25 games, including one playoff goal.

I wouldn’t call him forgettable as a player, just not someone I often think about as a Penguin.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Couple names to add:

Nils Ekman
Jarko Ruutu (not forgetable just been awhile)
Adam Hall
Chris Conner - I thought he was going to be big for us. He played well on the Conner-Letestu-Kennedy line when Staal was hurt and Cooke went with Malkin.

2018 one? That’s a joke right? See if we are paying attention? The only ones off your apt list that I have any recollection of are Hobey Baker award winner Kevin Porter and Laf.

I discuss 2016 often with people and while the coaching change, trades, and young guys were the core of the success/turnaround, there are two things I make sure to mention that people always forget about:

1. The retirement of Dupuis. As bad as I feel for the guy, that was an absolute godsend. He was not the top 6 force we need nor the bottom 6 depth. His injury and retirement created an opening that was filled by the WBS boys.

2. The injury of Kevin Porter. In 2015, Porter was getting the vast majority of call up games from the WBS group. He played in 41 games, scored 0 goals, and added 3 assists and looked downright dreadful doing it. But then he got hurt and it forced a different WBS guy into his slot. Porter was the primary call up, then you had the 4 of Sheary, Rust, Wilson, and Kuhnhackl getting crumbs.

Those two negatives created a MAJOR positive opening for the team in 2016. Highly underrated "happening" for that year

Zach Boychuck

Now this is what this thread is all about! THAT is a name I haven't heard in forever!

Yea, but how could na time forget glass and Adams?

No...I think we all remember them very much. "forgettable" =/= "trying to forget"

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDo

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
Max Lapierre and Rob Klinkhammer
6767d775500e74ab82c68abcdba9e3aa.gif

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Sorry fellas had to do it,
the worst player in Pittsburgh Penguin history that I can remember François Leroux...you guys took everyone recently..

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Pyatt? He played 34 games in 2014

Also in case y’all forgot, Steve Downie was a Penguin :laugh: Weird times.

Dear god...Pyatt. There was someone on the board that would lose their mind every game when they found out Pyatt wasn't on Malkin's wing, lol. I believe that was the year we had Jussi Jokinen who WAS on Malkin's LW and was a 20 goal scorer.

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
Might be old "Third Leg" Mckegg for me. Comrie's a good one too. Going further back a bit: signing Alexandre Daigle was a surreal time for those of us old enough to remember the hype that followed him into the league.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Pretty much every free agent Sleepy signed this past off season will be forgotten.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Was it Andy Hilbert that played on Crosby's wing some of his rookie season, scored at a decent clip and a bunch of people freaked out when he was let go at the end of the year?

There's a bunch of really forgettable ones from the Dark Years. But that's too easy.

I think it's kinda funny/gross that LeClair was a Penguin.

EDIT: Nick Spaling should absolutely make the list. That was the big "add" in the Neal/Horns deal.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Was it Andy Hilbert that played on Crosby's wing some of his rookie season, scored at a decent clip and a bunch of people freaked out when he was let go at the end of the year?

There's a bunch of really forgettable ones from the Dark Years. But that's too easy.

I think it's kinda funny/gross that LeClair was a Penguin.

EDIT: Nick Spaling should absolutely make the list. That was the big "add" in the Neal/Horns deal.

Hilbert and his 18 points in 19 games was a hoot. Played a damn near a full season (81 gp) the following season for the Islanders and scored 1 more goal (and 9 more total points) than he did in ~3-4 weeks with Sid & Colby.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Hilbert and his 18 points in 19 games was a hoot. Played a damn near a full season (81 gp) the following season for the Islanders and scored 1 more goal (and 9 more total points) than he did in ~3-4 weeks with Sid & Colby.

Hahaha... OK so I wasn't misremembering.

I remember the fan outrage nearly matching that of Rick Berry levels when he left.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

IIRC Nashville offered to include a pick instead but JR wanted Spalding despite Botterill trying to tell him he wasn't worth his cap hit and would mess up the team's cap structure. Fast forward a few months and the Pens have to dress 5 D for the last 2 weeks of the season because JR ran out of cap room.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
IIRC Nashville offered to include a pick instead but JR wanted Spaling despite Botterill trying to tell him he wasn't worth his cap hit and would mess up the team's cap structure. Fast forward a few months and the Pens have to dress 5 D for the last 2 weeks of the season because JR ran out of cap room.

lol... that's exactly correct. I had forgotten. Which I suppose is sort of the theme of the thread but still... good memory.

Reactions: SomeDude

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I can't remember any phone numbers or most people's names, but I can recall the saga of Nick Spalding at will. You have to reserve brain room for the important things in life.

Exactly. Things that matter like hockey trades and cap misadventures from like a decade ago, that one time someone said "hello" and you replied "you're welcome!" and the names of obscure 80s movies.

Family member's birthdays, important tasks that relate to your job and the names of people you've been introduced to countless times are just window dressing, really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad