Most promising prospect whose carrer was ended due to injuries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

regdunlap7

Sep 28, 2003
lowell, ma
Visit site
Pantokrator said:
Pelle Lindbergh is a good choice, as is Bryan Fogarty. What was up with Gord Kluzak? All I know is that he was such a high pick in the early 80's but had knee problems. What was he like? What kind of player was he supposed to be?

Kluzak was taken 1st overall by the Bruins, instead of Brian Bellows. He was big, strong, tough defensive defenseman. He was not a good skater and didn't have a good shot. He was considered a bit of a disappointment for awhile, and then they Bruins started using him as a forward on their pp. He'd park himself in front of the net and create a screen on the goalie. He was starting to come into his own (though he would never have been a #1) when he got injured. He came back time and time again only to have more and more knee surgeries.

I can't think of a great comparison from today's game.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
L. K. Hall .08 said:
I actually Know him quite well, and he really thinks he's still something special, very cocky and full of himself. And I think that has as much to do with his exit from the NHL as his knee did.

That's pretty surprising to hear. You'd think that somebody who clearly failed to meet expectations the way he did would be somewhat humbled.

tony2532

Jun 3, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie, On
I don't know if Falloon had any injuries, but he was definitely one of players that I was surprised didn't live up to his potential.

After watching him in the Memorial Cup and World Juniors, I thought he was going to be the next Steve Yzerman.

L. K. Hall .08

Most promising prospect whose career was ended due to injuries?

I witnessed something pretty comical with Pat Falloon a couple of years back. At a game in Souris one night, a kid about 14 had a San Jose jersey on, and after the game , without the kid even asking him, Pat signed the kids jersey. The kid said "dude why did you just wreck my shirt,do ya wanna pay for it now". Pat told him any other kid would have the jersey framed after being signed by an NHL player. The kid told him "my dad said you were in the NHL for a cup of coffee and that was about it, and they wouldn't give you a refill". Pat just swore at kid and took off.

Just thought it was pretty funny.

:cheers:

dumpnchase

Apr 24, 2004
California
L. K. Hall .08 said:
I witnessed something pretty comical with Pat Falloon a couple of years back. At a game in Souris one night, a kid about 14 had a San Jose jersey on, and after the game , without the kid even asking him, Pat signed the kids jersey. The kid said "dude why did you just wreck my shirt,do ya wanna pay for it now". Pat told him any other kid would have the jersey framed after being signed by an NHL player. The kid told him "my dad said you were in the NHL for a cup of coffee and that was about it, and they wouldn't give you a refill". Pat just swore at kid and took off.

Just thought it was pretty funny.

:cheers:

Kids today. I feel sorry for Pat he was a pretty good player with the Sharks just didn't click anywhere else and everyone in San Jose wanted him to be either a 1st liner or of the team I don't know why they couldn't let him be a 2nd liner.

I hope someone gives him another chance like they gave Daigle. Maybe he'll appreciate it more a second time around like Daigle.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
nyr4life5186 said:
Stefan Cherneski.

Drafted by the Rangers in the 1st round in 1997. Put up great numbers in the WHL and was supposed to become a surefire top line forward. Then one night in Hartford he sustained a freak knee injury and never recovered. Missed almost two seasons, tried to make a recovery, but finally retired in 2000.

He was the first name that came to mind, as did Brett Lindros.

I see where people are coming from with Lindbergh, and as a Flyers fan, I see it fair to say, but he wasn't a prospect anymore. He had been the #1 for 2 years, plus the season of his tragic death. He would probably go on the the best young NHL player list, though, and I'm bitter 17 years later

Fiji Water

Jan 16, 2004
Mario Lemieux..drafted in 84 and suffered numerous injuries and illnesses throughout his career. Tragically only managed to average over two pts / game over the span of 20 years. Oh what could have been.....

Law Dawg

Jul 23, 2004
In the Dawg-House
Tuggy said:
That's not true at all. He scored 25 goals in his rookie season and in his second year he had 14 goals and was selected to the All Star team but suffered a season ending knee injury. He was never the same. It WAS an injury problem.

He had a knee injury in his second year, but that never stopped him from playing again did it. He got plenty more chances but never took them. And the All Star selection was back in the days when the NHL mandated that every team have one player chosen, Falloon was the best on some crap Sharks teams. Case in point, Petr Buzek and Scott Lachance were both All Stars ..... :eek:

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
Jaroslav Svejkovsky and Pat Peake...if there every is a perfect example of why there should be no-touch icing, it's his injury

slyc

Sep 26, 2003
Cantley, Canada
www.live365.com
L. K. Hall .08 said:
If any of you have ever heard of a song, actually a very big hit at least in Canada by Tom Cochrane about a "boy in the big leagues"could have been a real big star and so on, it was written about George Pelawa, who while driving with his brother on a gravel road in Ont. was hit head on coming over a little hill on the wrong side of the road. No alcohol involved though. If you haven't heard it look it up and take a listen, it is a great tune.

Yes. One day Tom Cochrane noticed a man standing in the arena during the sound and lights check for the concert of the night after. Curious, he asked the man what he's doing there. The man introduced himself and said he just wanted to see what the prefered singer of his son looks like. Cochrane asked if his son will be at the concert. The man replied "nope" he died a couple of days ago in a car accident. Then Cochrane who is a big hockey fan was really touched when the man said that his son (George Pelawa) was drafted by the Flammes. So that night Cochrane wrote that song and he played the tune at the concert. A little bit later he recorded the song and made a smash hit (at least in Canada).

Law Dawg

Jul 23, 2004
In the Dawg-House
BMWM3owner said:
Jaroslav Svejkovsky and Pat Peake...if there every is a perfect example of why there should be no-touch icing, it's his injury

Yogi Svejkovsky was dynamite when he first hit the ice, I remember that four goal game in his first year like it was yesterday. He looked like he was going to be one heck of a scorer .....

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
What about Adrian Foster who is currently in the Devils system. It doesn't seem like he will ever overcome his abdominal injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad