Most promising prospect whose carrer was ended due to injuries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KFC

May 24, 2004
Long Island
Pavel Brendl a very high rangers draft pick i believe #2 overall all this potential and talent and was projected to be a very prolific scorrer in the nhl and attitude problems kept him from ever reaching that potential

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
KFC said:
Pavel Brendl a very high rangers draft pick i believe #2 overall all this potential and talent and was projected to be a very prolific scorrer in the nhl and attitude problems kept him from ever reaching that potential

He is on the Carolina Hurricanes and could very well reach (at least some of) his potential yet.

hotgoalie11565

Jun 5, 2004
Farmington, Minnesota
David Quinn. He was the 1st Round Draft Choice of the Minnesota North Stars in 1984. That same year he was diagnosed, if I recall correctly, with a malady that if aggravated by playing hockey, would kill him.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
Pelle Lindbergh.

Michel Briere a close second.

Pelle Lindbergh is a good choice, as is Bryan Fogarty. What was up with Gord Kluzak? All I know is that he was such a high pick in the early 80's but had knee problems. What was he like? What kind of player was he supposed to be?

And by the way, Handsome B. Wonderful, that is an awesome avatar!!!!

Liquidrage*

I don't think Pele Lindbergh should count.

You're talking about someone that wasn't a prospect but a legit NHL player. He was in his 5th NHL season and 27 years old when it happened.

Sure, he was on the threshold of becoming a big time star, but not a prospect. He was well past that.

If he counts, Eric Lindros would count as well as Lindros starting hitting serious injuries before that age. Actually, I would argue Lindros fits this thread better then Lindbergh does. Eric started missing about 20 games a year due to injuries from the get go. Many of the injuries were related to each other and the injury from Stevens that lead to him going from the most dominant force in the game to what he has become now.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
KFC said:

attitude problems don't really count as injuries...

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
nomorekids said:
Pat Peake and Pat Falloon come to mind.

Falloon's career ended due to injuries? I thought he just faded away.

Last time I heard about him was a year or 2 ago. He was playing in the Senior A league for the Allan Cup.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Coffey77 said:
Falloon's career ended due to injuries? I thought he just faded away.

Last time I heard about him was a year or 2 ago. He was playing in the Senior A league for the Allan Cup.

he was picked, what? 2 overall? i think he had concussion problems, but prior to that, was a pretty decent sniper. he was never really the same after some of his injuries.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for, because he has still had a very good carrear, but did Slava Kozlov get into a major car accident before comming to the Wings. If I remember correctly it was orginally believed that he would be better and was more talented than his fellow Russian Sergei Fedorov. If I am wrong please correct me.

Goodwith Sticks

May 11, 2004
Vancouver
Yeah, I was thinking of Pat Peake too - Cherry still talks about him when pushing no-touch icings. I remember hearing about Cherneski too - hyped as a junior and then his incident.

My pick is Mark Deyell and his eye-injury - he was a really skilled set-up guy in the Leafs system before being high-sticked in a pre-season game against the habs. He tried to make a comeback with Edmonton and I was really pulling for him. It was a shame as he was a really promising player - wear visors!!

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
nomorekids said:
he was picked, what? 2 overall? i think he had concussion problems, but prior to that, was a pretty decent sniper. he was never really the same after some of his injuries.

He picked around there. He was a decent player but he didn't match the hype. Not sure if injuries played a huge role in that or not.

But Peake for sure. Many injuries throughout his career, including breaking/shattering his heels on an icing.

Law Dawg

Jul 23, 2004
In the Dawg-House
Coffey77 said:
He picked around there. He was a decent player but he didn't match the hype. Not sure if injuries played a huge role in that or not.

Nah, Falloon didn't suffer any major injuries, he just faded away. Spent some time in Europe as well I believe. He just couldn't hold down an NHL job, not an injury problem at all .....

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Michel Briere had star potential. I believe Gord Kluzak had it too.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
nyr4life5186 said:
Stefan Cherneski.

Drafted by the Rangers in the 1st round in 1997. Put up great numbers in the WHL and was supposed to become a surefire top line forward. Then one night in Hartford he sustained a freak knee injury and never recovered. Missed almost two seasons, tried to make a recovery, but finally retired in 2000.

i thought he had the knee injury in junior right after he was drafted. He screwed up the same knee twice, same injury, same results. When he finally got over the knee problem, he went out and injured his other knee the same way.

talk about bad luck.

turnbuckle*

The most tragic example has been missed by all of you, although I suspect it's because the majority of you aren't very old.

George Pelawa was a first round pick of Calgary's in 1986 who died in a car accident before he was 19-years old.

Pelawa might well have been the "Original Lindros-type" forward had tragedy not struck. He was a huge kid (I believe he weighed about 235 at 18 years of age) with some skill who was named Mr. Hockey in Minnesota during his draft year.

Dan Woodley, Daniek Dore, Devereaux, Gary Nylund, Scott Scissons and Dave Archibald were all top 7 picks that never fully recovered from injuries suffered in junior. The same could be said for others like Nolan Baumgartner, Terry Ryan, Al Iafrate...unfortunately it happens.

Montreal had a decent prospect die in a car crash as well before he ever had as chance to turn pro - Neil Carnes, drafted 46th overall in 1988.

Islanders 2nd round pick Bruce Melanson (Oshawa Generals) was drafted in 1984, and died of heart failure the following year.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Law Dawg said:
Nah, Falloon didn't suffer any major injuries, he just faded away. Spent some time in Europe as well I believe. He just couldn't hold down an NHL job, not an injury problem at all .....

That's not true at all. He scored 25 goals in his rookie season and in his second year he had 14 goals and was selected to the All Star team but suffered a season ending knee injury. He was never the same. It WAS an injury problem.

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
Law Dawg said:
Not so sure if he qualified as a prospect anymore, but one time Leaf and Flame Nikolai Borchevsky was going to be one hell of a player till a serious knee injury made him give away the game .....

He was 27 when he came over, and had played 8 years in the RSL. It was just that he looked like he was about 12 years old.

Has anyone mentioned Gord Kluzak yet? He missed 2 complete seasons out of his first 6, and then could only play 13 games in the next 3 seasons before retiring.

L. K. Hall .08

Most promising prospect whose career was ended due to injuries?

If any of you have ever heard of a song, actually a very big hit at least in Canada by Tom Cochrane about a "boy in the big leagues"could have been a real big star and so on, it was written about George Pelawa, who while driving with his brother on a gravel road in Ont. was hit head on coming over a little hill on the wrong side of the road. No alcohol involved though. If you haven't heard it look it up and take a listen, it is a great tune.
I watch Pat Falloon play very often in the winter here as he plays for the Foxwarren Falcons of the north central hockey league, a senior team here in manitoba, and his hometown. A knee inj attributed to his not reaching his full potential, but even overweight and lazy today, he can still fly and averages nearly 4.5pts a game in a very good league up here with many Xcollege players, WHL players, and a few XNHLers playing in the league also. I actually Know him quite well, and he really thinks he's still something special, very cocky and full of himself. And I think that has as much to do with his exit from the NHL as his knee did.

Gord Klusak, WOW, what he could have been, awesome junior player very donminant, and a physical speciman. And of course Normand L. another Bruin with amazing talent, and as a Bruin fan was watching the game when he got hurt, very sad to see. (yes I'm that old).

:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad