Most Pressurized Environment - Final Poll Results

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
It's bizarre that Toronto is at the top of the list.

The team hasn't won a playoff round in nearly 20 years and they still get a free ride from all of the local press and the fan base continues to pretend they are a serious contender.

If the Canadiens, Red Wings, Rangers or Flyers went as long as the Leafs have gone without any success you would see unbelievable scorn from the local media and the fanbases would be vicious.

The Toronto media, while omnipresent, are for the most part gigantic cheerleaders for the team.

I've always thought it was hilarious when Leaf fans talk about the "pressure" of playing here.
your crazy if you think theres no pressure playing in toronto.
also Leafs have a 20+ year waiting list for season tickets. yes you read that correctly. 20+ YEAR waiting list
which means any upset Leafs fan that leaves will be replaced by another.
and after this recent loss in the playoffs you dont think the pressure is even higher on these players to get it done... ?
lol

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
It's bizarre that Toronto is at the top of the list.

The team hasn't won a playoff round in nearly 20 years and they still get a free ride from all of the local press and the fan base continues to pretend they are a serious contender.

If the Canadiens, Red Wings, Rangers or Flyers went as long as the Leafs have gone without any success you would see unbelievable scorn from the local media and the fanbases would be vicious.

The Toronto media, while omnipresent, are for the most part gigantic cheerleaders for the team.

I've always thought it was hilarious when Leaf fans talk about the "pressure" of playing here.
I was thinking the exact same thing. The fans and media still consider the leafs the best ever year after year even though they havent won a playoff series since 2004

Reactions: Canad13ns

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Missed this, but I would have voted Montreal. They have a historical standard that is always looming in the background that is hard to live up to. Most Stanley Cups of all teams before expansion, and after expansion sets a high bar in that market. That's pressure when you see all those Hab great teams and expectations of this jersey.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
To pretend that the media doesn't shit on this team constantly is ridiculous. Where else would the media call your mom for a medical update, claim to follow you on your hot dog run, need I continue?

Saku Koivu had the media taking flash photography through the window of the medical clinic while he was having a serious eye injury treated. You want to compare that to talking to a hot dog guy or calling a players mother?

These aren't even in the same stratosphere.

If the Flyers, Rangers, Bruins or Red Wings went through the incredible streak of failure the Leafs have for the last two decades, coaches and general managers and players would be run out of town the team would be crucified in the press.

And those are American markets, I'm not even getting into the other Canadian markets.

But here, they pretend the team is great no matter what. It's the Emperor Has No Clothes. Instead of Dion Phaneuf being criticized for captaining a team that was a league wide punch line, instead they pretended he was a top blue liner in the league. There was zero pressure to be better. Phil Kessel was treated like he was a star despite the team being a joke. He had zero pressure to improve. We're watching this cycle continue right now. Mitch Marner has shown no interest whatsoever in paying the price required to succeed in the playoffs. What pressure is he facing right now?

To pretend there's intense pressure to play in a market where the team literally owns and controls the biggest media outlets in the city is absurd.

Get real.

Reactions: Canad13ns and barbu

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I realize you haven't been in a Canadian city. As much as the Bostons, and NY seem like hockey hot beds they don't really compare.

i’ve been to Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. I get the passion. Imo, ny, boston and philly are not hot beds for hockey yet the population is so dense and media is so fierce and competitive it can be brutal. The tri-state area alone has 50% of the entire Canadian population. Nothing goes unnoticed and bad news sells. The people are nuts.

not sure how accurate the list is. Who cares? At least the NHL is on the map. Good luck this offseason. Hopefully espn can grow the market and awareness of this sport

Reactions: Pucklington

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad