Most Pressurized Environment - Final Poll Results

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Results from a series of polls I conducted in the poll section. Discuss. The percentages are the percentage each team got for the round they were voted into their slot.

1-32, which environments surrounding the 32 franchises are the most pressurized. That can mean fans, ownership, media, prior history, location, players or anything you take the pressure of a hockey environment to mean.

1. Toronto Maple Leafs (59.6%)
2. Montreal Canadiens (80.5%)
3. Vancouver Canucks (53.7%)
4. Edmonton Oilers (45.1%)
5. New York Rangers (27.4%)
6. Calgary Flames (27.9%)
7. Boston Bruins (48.1%)
8. Philadelphia Flyers (53.6%)
9. Winnipeg Jets (32.1%)
10. Chicago Blackhawks (30.0%)
11. Ottawa Senators (23.5%)
12. Pittsburgh Penguins (22.9%)
13. Buffalo Sabres (39.5%)
14. Detroit Red Wings (20.0%)
15. Washington Capitals (30.0%)
16. New York Islanders (38.1%)
17. Colorado Avalanche (32.0%)
18. Minnesota Wild (80.0%)
19. Vegas Golden Knights (23.8%)
20. St. Louis Blues (36.8%)
21. Nashville Predators (43.8%)
22. New Jersey Devils (31.0%)
23. Tampa Bay Lightning (34.5%)
24. Los Angeles Kings (35.0%)
25. San Jose Sharks (44.4%)
26. Dallas Stars (38.5%)
27. Carolina Hurricanes (50.0%)
28. Columbus Blue Jackets (39.4%)
29. Anaheim Ducks (47.7%)
30. Seattle Kraken (65.7%)
31. Florida Panthers (78.2%)
32. Arizona Coyotes (21.8%)

Last edited:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
It's bizarre that Toronto is at the top of the list.

The team hasn't won a playoff round in nearly 20 years and they still get a free ride from all of the local press and the fan base continues to pretend they are a serious contender.

If the Canadiens, Red Wings, Rangers or Flyers went as long as the Leafs have gone without any success you would see unbelievable scorn from the local media and the fanbases would be vicious.

The Toronto media, while omnipresent, are for the most part gigantic cheerleaders for the team.

I've always thought it was hilarious when Leaf fans talk about the "pressure" of playing here.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
impressively accurate list. i'd say it is close between canucks and oilers.

i guess the oiler fan thing is still a legacy of the 80s. definitely true that they are way more intense than calgary and winnipeg. something to ponder for oil fans is the extent to which this contributes to the fortunes of their club.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

The team hasn't won a playoff round in nearly 20 years and they still get a free ride from all of the local press and the fan base continues to pretend they are a serious contender.

If the Canadiens, Red Wings, Rangers or Flyers went as long as the Leafs have gone without any success you would see unbelievable scorn from the local media and the fanbases would be vicious.

The Toronto media, while omnipresent, are for the most part gigantic cheerleaders for the team.

I've always thought it was hilarious when Leaf fans talk about the "pressure" of playing here.

the positive media spin is because the media owns the leafs and neither tsn nor sportsnet can afford to risk losing access by trashing the team.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
the positive media spin is because the media owns the leafs and neither tsn nor sportsnet can afford to risk losing access by trashing the team.

I understand that. Doesn't change the fact that the "pressure" here is a cake walk compared to other markets.

The biggest issue in Toronto is being recognized everywhere and surrendering your private life, but in terms of pressure to perform on the ice, they get away with absolute murder here. Part of the reason Leaf fans are such a laughing stock at places like this is because they legitimately always believe their team is a contender because of the coverage they receive and the free ride the media gives them.

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020
I understand that. Doesn't change the fact that the "pressure" here is a cake walk compared to other markets.

The biggest issue in Toronto is being recognized everywhere and surrendering your private life, but in terms of pressure to perform on the ice, they get away with absolute murder here. Part of the reason Leaf fans are such a laughing stock at places like this is because they legitimately always believe their team is a contender because of the coverage they receive and the free ride the media gives them.

Translation I dont like Toronto so will find anyway to further discredit them. Do pray tell what market outside Montreal and possibly Vancouver even sniffs Toronto?

80% of Leafs fans are disgusted by this team but once again HF focuses on the 20% of irrational Leafs fan in La La Land who always believe this is their year.

How does one prove on ice pressure to win? Not show up and buy tickets to show your hostilities? In that case Florida and Arizona are the most pressure cooked on ice places to play.

Please tell me what market cares enough about the players to place their players under the same type of media microscope as Toronto? No American market does. This isn't the NFL or NBA. Deep down Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, and Winnipeg media are happy to have NHL clubs and can't bring the wave of heat Toronto can.

People will jump through hopes and climb mountains to discredit Toronto in any fashion on here. Its rather hilarious.

Wait Vancouver and Montreal have riot and burned their cities down over NHL hockey and Toronto hasn't. Maybe you are actually onto something.

Last edited:

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

Has there ever been a fan poll or list created by a sports writer cited here where the 2nd or 3rd post wasn't someone taking issue with the Leafs or one of their players being named?

Serious question.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Results from a series of polls I conducted in the poll section. Discuss. The percentages are the percentage each team got for the round they were voted into their slot.

1-32, which environments surrounding the 32 franchises are the most pressurized. That can mean fans, ownership, media, prior history, location, players or anything you take the pressure of a hockey environment to mean.

1. Toronto Maple Leafs (59.6%)
2. Montreal Canadiens (80.5%)
3. Vancouver Canucks (53.7%)
4. Edmonton Oilers (45.1%)
5. New York Rangers (27.4%)
6. Calgary Flames (27.9%)
7. Boston Bruins (48.1%)
8. Philadelphia Flyers (53.6%)
9. Winnipeg Jets (32.1%)
10. Chicago Blackhawks (30.0%)
11. Ottawa Senators (23.5%)
12. Pittsburgh Penguins (22.9%)
13. Buffalo Sabres (39.5%)
14. Detroit Red Wings (20.0%)
15. Washington Capitals (30.0%)
16. New York Islanders (38.1%)
17. Colorado Avalanche (32.0%)
18. Minnesota Wild (80.0%)
19. Vegas Golden Knights (23.8%)
20. St. Louis Blues (36.8%)
21. Nashville Predators (43.8%)
22. New Jersey Devils (31.0%)
23. Tampa Bay Lightning (34.5%)
24. Los Angeles Kings (35.0%)
25. San Jose Sharks (44.4%)
26. Dallas Stars (38.5%)
27. Carolina Hurricanes (50.0%)
28. Columbus Blue Jackets (39.4%)
29. Anaheim Ducks (47.7%)
30. Seattle Kraken (65.7%)
31. Florida Panthers (78.2%)
32. Arizona Coyotes (21.8%)

I would swap Montreal and Toronto. I might move Edmonton to behind Boston. The last five seem right. Nashville looks right in 21st place.

I would say that this is above average in accuracy for the various lists that I see on HF.

Reactions: Canad13ns

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

There isn't a player in the league going through what Marner is right now. And there is a longggg list of players before him. Toronto is easily #1. If you are good, you are put up as a god. If you under perform, you get ran out of town.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

I would have Montreal ahead of Toronto but that’s it

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
There isn't a player in the league going through what Marner is right now. And there is a longggg list of players before him. Toronto is easily #1. If you are good, you are put up as a god. If you under perform, you get ran out of town.

What do you think Marner "is going through" right now? Playing golf and relaxing at a cottage and knowing he will come back to first line duty and first line power play while earning one of the biggest pay cheques in the league?

What a nightmare that must be for him.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I don't like Toronto?

I love Toronto. This is my town. You don't have a clue what you're talking about.
To pretend that the media doesn't shit on this team constantly is ridiculous. Where else would the media call your mom for a medical update, claim to follow you on your hot dog run, need I continue?

Reactions: Ciao

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I’ve lived in a lot of cities and Edmonton might be worse than Toronto or Van. Can’t speak to MTL. The oilers are the only draw in town, you’re recognized everywhere, and everyone is hyped beyond belief briefly before being turned into a city wide whipping boy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->