Most likely to get 1st overall in next NHL draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Now I dont when the next NHL season will start. But I did a little research and have discovered that team that have gotten themself the 1st overall by finishing last have always been in the top 3 the previous year since 1989-90 to 2003-2004. Im sure that it have been so many years before 1989 but Im too lazy to look that far behind.

So accoring to my research the team that most likely will get the 1st overall will be either Penguins, Blackhawks or Capitals. Now I hope Crosby will not end up in Penguins or Capitals. I have nothing against those team but I think it is just too sick that the last few seasons the 1st overall have always been in the east especially the southeast division in which Capital and Penguins are in. There is just soooo much talent in that division. I think it will be great for NHL, the team and Crosby if he end up in Chicago or Phoenix just not in the southeast.

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
Boston went from a 90+ point team one season to bottom of the standings the next the year they got Thornton..

And the Penguins aren't a SE team.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Darn so many misstake by me :blush:

And yeah there are a few exception ofcourse like the Boston and a couple of expansion team. But the Boston, I thought to myself what a lucky team they was. The have not missed the playoff for a long period of time before 96-97, and BANG! when they missed the playoff they played so bad that they got the 1st overall! and that is not all they also got a guy names Sergei Samsonov with the 8th overall pick. That is lucky alright!

And sorry Penguins fan, my misstake, did not intend to said Penguins are in the southeast, I must forgotten it and drag the Penguins in the southeast :) what I mean was I dont want to see Crosby in the southeast division as there is just too many young super talent there!

Blueshirt13

Apr 23, 2004
Other side of the Ri
If you want to look at the worst records (total points with total wins as a tie breaker) over the past couple of years, it would be something like this:

2 Year Data (2003-2004):
1 Pittsburgh
2 Columbus
3 Carolina
4 Chicago
5 Florida
6 Phoenix
7 NY Rangers
8 Washington
9 Atlanta
10 Buffalo

3 Year Data (2002-2004):
1 Columbus
2 Pittsburgh
3 Florida
4 Atlanta
5 NY Rangers
6 Carolina
7 Chicago
8 Nashville
9 Washington
10 Buffalo

4 Year Data (2001-2004):
1 Columbus
2 Atlanta
3 Florida
4 Pittsburgh
5 NY Rangers
6 Chicago
7 Anaheim
8 Nashville
9 Carolina
10 Minnesota

5 Year Data (2000-2004): (Wild and Blue Jackets don't exist for the entire time)
1 Atlanta
2 Florida
3 NY Rangers
4 Pittsburgh
5 NY Islanders
6 Tampa Bay
7 Chicago
8 Nashville
9 Anaheim
10 Calgary

7 Year Data (1998-2004): (No Jackets, Wild, Thrashers or Preds)
1 Tampa Bay
2 NY Islanders
3 Florida
4 NY Rangers
5 Chicago
6 Calgary
7 Anaheim
8 Carolina
9 Pittsburgh
10 Montreal

All I can say is Microsoft Excel is a wonderful thing to do something like this!

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Blueshirt13 said:
If you want to look at the worst records (total points with total wins as a tie breaker) over the past couple of years, it would be something like this:

2 Year Data (2003-2004):
1 Pittsburgh
2 Columbus
3 Carolina
4 Chicago
5 Florida
6 Phoenix
7 NY Rangers
8 Washington
9 Atlanta
10 Buffalo

3 Year Data (2002-2004):
1 Columbus
2 Pittsburgh
3 Florida
4 Atlanta
5 NY Rangers
6 Carolina
7 Chicago
8 Nashville
9 Washington
10 Buffalo

4 Year Data (2001-2004):
1 Columbus
2 Atlanta
3 Florida
4 Pittsburgh
5 NY Rangers
6 Chicago
7 Anaheim
8 Nashville
9 Carolina
10 Minnesota

5 Year Data (2000-2004): (Wild and Blue Jackets don't exist for the entire time)
1 Atlanta
2 Florida
3 NY Rangers
4 Pittsburgh
5 NY Islanders
6 Tampa Bay
7 Chicago
8 Nashville
9 Anaheim
10 Calgary

1 Tampa Bay
2 NY Islanders
3 Florida
4 NY Rangers
5 Chicago
6 Calgary
7 Anaheim
8 Carolina
9 Pittsburgh
10 Montreal

All I can say is Microsoft Excel is a wonderful thing to do something like this!

Well if that happens then Pittsburgh, Florida, Columbus and Atlanta will have the best shot at Crosby. Again the Southeast is well reprensted.

Blueshirt13

Apr 23, 2004
Other side of the Ri
J17ster said:
Well if that happens then Pittsburgh, Florida, Columbus and Atlanta will have the best shot at Crosby. Again the Southeast is well reprensted.

Also one thing to point out, if they did do something like this, more than likely each year will be weighted so that more recent years had more of an impact in the standings than ones further out.

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
Florida is really pissing me off, look at their roster. Filled with young talent, if Crosby doesn't make them playoff contenders... i dunno what to say.

EDIT: I think it may be Columbus, they have a slightly better team and the lottery should help.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Blueshirt13 said:
1 Tampa Bay
2 NY Islanders
3 Florida
4 NY Rangers
5 Chicago
6 Calgary
7 Anaheim
8 Carolina
9 Pittsburgh
10 Montreal
It's interesting that Tampa, Calgary, Anaheim and Carolina have all been to the Cup final in that period.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Blueshirt13 said:
Also one thing to point out, if they did do something like this, more than likely each year will be weighted so that more recent years had more of an impact in the standings than ones further out.

Still say Florida, Pittsburgh and Colombus would have a good shot.

Florida is really pissing me off, look at their roster. Filled with young talent, if Crosby doesn't make them playoff contenders... i dunn o what to say.

While we do have a lot of young talent most of them are a few years away from having an impact. Crosby wouldn't make them contenders alone, really only Luongo can do that.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
You are assuming a season? Looking more and more doubtful at this point, but even if there were a season my Pens are sitting mighty . . . ummm . . . unpretty at this point. Yes, they had a nice run at the end of last year but the bulk of the talent on that team is hardly seasoned, and could easily make a run at the number one pick. Malkin will not show up for a couple of years. Fleury, even if he does play, needs at least another year under his belt and will make errors.

Personally I think that they get their shot at Crosby through the backdoor this year though a lost season and last year's order being used, but the Pens have to be one of the most favored in the race for last place no matter how the situation plays out, whether there is a season or not.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Jaded-Fan said:
You are assuming a season? Looking more and more doubtful at this point, but even if there were a season my Pens are sitting mighty . . . ummm . . . unpretty at this point. Yes, they had a nice run at the end of last year but the bulk of the talent on that team is hardly seasoned, and could easily make a run at the number one pick. Malkin will not show up for a couple of years. Fleury, even if he does play, needs at least another year under his belt and will make errors.

Personally I think that they get their shot at Crosby through the backdoor this year though a lost season and last year's order being used, but the Pens have to be one of the most favored in the race for last place no matter how the situation plays out, whether there is a season or not.

Yes! I really agreed that the Penguins as it seem right now to be the team that have the biggest chance to land Crosby. I just hope he will end in Phoenix or Rangers instead.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Roberto Luongo said:
Yes! I really agreed that the Penguins as it seem right now to be the team that have the biggest chance to land Crosby. I just hope he will end in Phoenix or Rangers instead.

Not Crosby, but (as we found out last year) in last place. Then it is basically a coin flip (I think something like 48.2% if memory serves me right) if they keep the same system, same order. But Brule would definately be acceptable as well. Still, Mario, Maffy, Malkin and Crosby . . . . has a nice sound to me.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
Not Crosby, but (as we found out last year) in last place. Then it is basically a coin flip (I think something like 48.2% if memory serves me right) if they keep the same system, same order. But Brule would definately be acceptable as well. Still, Mario, Maffy, Malkin and Crosby . . . . has a nice sound to me.
Absolutley no way FLA gets Crosby unless they trade for him and that won't happen. Brule would be nice, but again, no way. Guys like Kindl and Johnson etc.. would be great to trade up to and get, but FLA is on their way up and as Keenan said, FLA, when the lockout is up, will have about 8 or 9 million that they WILL spend because they will have to with a cap so FLA is gonna sign some star players like potentially Demitra, Kovalev, Lindros?? :dunno: , maybe Bondra, etc..... and some more veterans. I think FLA will finish #2 or 3 in the SE division and make the playoffs as the 7th seed or so. They have all the talent and they are maturing too. FLA is finally on their way out of the cellar. They rebuild wrongly with Bure and in 1997, so it hurt them. They could be considered an expansion team same level as CBJ from 2000 onwards and it's taken 4-5 years but they will be a top team for years to come.

Zoo

Jul 29, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
Roberto Luongo said:

I'd rather see Crosby go too, Columbus, Chicago and my pens.

adurn

Dec 22, 2003
Just for the pure humor of it, I hope Columbus lands Crosby and signs Stillman. First like would be an old school concert, Crosby, Stills and Nash

And if they can trade for Scott Young, it'd be Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Blueshirt13 said:
Just for the pure humor of it, I hope Columbus lands Crosby and signs Stillman. First like would be an old school concert, Crosby, Stills and Nash

If that happens, Columbus would have to sign Scott Young, as well. A trade for Brett Hull and bringing Adam Oates out of retirement might also be necessary.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
I gotta agree that it would be sweet for there to be a Crosby Stills and Nash line!

But, homerism aside, I think it would benefit the NHL the most for him to go to the Hawks.

The only Original 6 franchise that has been a complete joke for almost a decade! They are the 3rd largest city in North America (excluding Mexico City) and have the most pathetic and dwindling fan base. The owner of the Hawks, Bill Wirtz, has been spitting in the face of fans for over 4 decades.

In the 41 years that the draft has been around, Chicago has never had a 1st overall pick. Teams like Atlanta, Columbus, and Florida have had 1st overall picks in their almost non existant historys. Teams like Washington and Pittsburgh have not suffered the way Chicago has and have also had recent 1st overall picks to add to their elite stables of prospects and their potential fan bases couldnt touch Chicago's potential fan base.

I have to say its about ****ing time something good comes our way!!

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
theBob said:
I gotta agree that it would be sweet for there to be a Crosby Stills and Nash line!

But, homerism aside, I think it would benefit the NHL the most for him to go to the Hawks.

The only Original 6 franchise that has been a complete joke for almost a decade! They are the 3rd largest city in North America (excluding Mexico City) and have the most pathetic and dwindling fan base. The owner of the Hawks, Bill Wirtz, has been spitting in the face of fans for over 4 decades.

In the 41 years that the draft has been around, Chicago has never had a 1st overall pick. Teams like Atlanta, Columbus, and Florida have had 1st overall picks in their almost non existant historys. Teams like Washington and Pittsburgh have not suffered the way Chicago has and have also had recent 1st overall picks to add to their elite stables of prospects and their potential fan bases couldnt touch Chicago's potential fan base.

I have to say its about ****ing time something good comes our way!!

Yes, I would love to see Crosby in a Hawks jersey. That would be sweet, better start to tank the season Hawkies :)

Blueshirt13

Apr 23, 2004
Other side of the Ri
Having Crosby in Chicago or NY would be great for the sport... 2 of the top 3 US media markets. It would be an amazing opportunity to market the game but at this point, who knows if there will be a game left to play. :banghead:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I have posted this question before, but I pose it again . . . how much is that Pens pick worth now? I doubt that the Pens would move it, but with the season seeming less and less likely, and handicapping the scenerios for a draft when a new CBA is signed, I would guess that a GM or two would offer quite a bit on the roll of the dice of the Pen's pick being number one or two right now, if the Pens offered it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad